Nigeria Newspapers

Abducted MD, others still in captivity as rescue efforts continue



Nigeria Police

Efforts to rescue the Managing Director of Foani Company, which represents LG and Hisense in Nigeria, Mohammed Foani, and three other Lebanese, have entered day four following their abduction on the waterways around the Falomo Bridge in Lagos State.

The spokesperson for the Lagos State Police Command, Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the development to our correspondent who, on Sunday, inquired about the progress of the investigation to rescue the kidnapped victims.

Responding, Hundeyin said, “We are working hard, and very soon, we will rescue the kidnapped victims.”

PUNCH Metro had reported that Foani and the three other victims were on their way to a destination when the gunmen waylaid them along the waterways and whisked them to an unknown destination.

A source familiar with the incident, while speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the case, said the kidnappers had demanded $1.5m ransom.

“Yesterday (Friday) evening, the Managing Director of Fouani Company (LG and Hisense) and three Lebanese were kidnapped around Falomo Bridge while travelling from Apapa to Victoria Island by boat. The kidnappers have asked for $1.5m,” the source said.

Kidnap-for-ransom cases are not just happening in Lagos, which serves as the commercial centre of Nigeria.

These daredevil suspects, while engaging in the criminal enterprise, usually target high-profile individuals and after abducting them, demand a ransom before releasing them to their families.

Sometime in December 2023, a car dealer, popularly known as Ejike Conversion, in the Ladipo Spare Parts Market, was said to have been taking an inventory of his newly imported goods in front of his plaza around midnight when some armed men swooped in on him and his workers.

A source in the market who spoke on condition of anonymity over the fear of victimisation said the abductors demanded N500m.

In September 2021, a retired air vice marshal, Sikiru Smith, was kidnapped at a site in the Ajah area of the state by gunmen who whisked him away in a speedboat.

He was released five days after the abduction.