The Nigerian military has confirmed that two more Chibok girls, Yana Pogu and Rejoice Sanki, have been rescued.
The Theatre Commander, North-East Joint Operation, Hadin Kai, Major General Christopher Musa, disclosed this to newsmen in Maiduguri, the Borno state capital.
The General Officer, Commanding 7 Division, Maiduguri, Major General Shuaibu Waidi, who presented them to the media, said they would be handed over to the State Government, after undergoing medical examination with their children.
Waidi said Pogu, who is number 19 on the abducted Chibok girls’ list, was rescued on September 29 2022 with four children; two boys and twin girls, in Mairari village, Bama Local Government Area, by troops of 21 Armoured Brigade during a clearance patrol.
“In the same vein, on October 2, 2022, Rejoice Sanki, who is number 70 on the list of Chibok girls, was rescued with her two children by troops of 222 Battalion in Kawuri area,” Waidi said.
He added that the rescued women were undergoing medical examination with their children for eventual handing over to the Borno State Government.
Musa, who also announced the opening of a new camp for hosting repentant Boko Haram members that were surrendering, assured that the new camp was in a safe area where the military could secure it.
Based on assessment, we looked at the areas that can be properly defended,” Musa said.
Within the last five months, 13 Chibok girls have been rescued by the military. So far, out of the 276 girls abducted by the terrorists in 2014, about 96 are still in captivity.