From Joe Effiong,Uyo
Akwa Ibom State government has threatened to prosecute persons behind the employment syndicates said to be fleecing applicants seeking government jobs in the state.
The state’s Head of Service (HOS) Mr Effiong Essien, who admitted having complaints about employment racketeering, told journalists in Uyo on Tuesday that his office has been fighting to apprehend the syndicate and called for partnership and useful information from the public to apprehend the culprits.
Essien expressed sadness that the scammers may have possibly been issuing fake employment papers to unsuspecting members of the public, but have the assurance that he would protect the privacy of people who would volunteer useful information on the syndicate.
The HOS maintained that the government had not been involved in secret employment and that recent employment had been based on the need of the service since employment opportunities remained limited in the service.
“I have always said whenever someone says there is secret employment, by whatever means possible, get a photocopy of such a letter of employment and bring and I will tell if it is a government employee or fake letter of employment.
“There are a whole lot of speculations and fake news about employment. There are also scammers all around the state in the name of employment. There is no doubt that some of them may even give fake employment letters to people.
“If you hear of such things, mention the name of the person and possibly the department so we can verify. My office would gladly want to know who has employed someone into the Akwa Ibom State Civil Service without the Head of Service knowing about it.
“I am interested in the matter because the issue is so much in the public domain about secret employment. The thing seems to be a ghost.
“I don’t have any doubt about racketeering. Let us partner, let me know the members of that racket. The public service rule is there for any civil service caught in serious misconduct. If such a person is found wanting, at the end of it, it is dismissal from service.
“I would not spare anything to take full measure of discipline on anybody that is involved in it. You can inbox me privately, and I can assure you of privacy to such information.
“I have gone on air to enlighten members of the public that people should not be involved in any secret employment because there is nothing like that. Let nobody collect money from any person in the name of employment. It is fake,” he stated.
Essie announced that the service would soon be fully digitized with a team working on it since the beginning of the year adding that Governor Udom Emmanuel had shown interest in the complete digitization of the service.
He decried the non -challant attitude of workers towards work despite the state government’s commitment to pay salaries.
He said training on attitudinal orientation and emotional intelligence for workers meant to work on their psyche has commenced in batches.
The HOC explained that the process of recruiting 1,000 teachers for primary schools would soon be sorted out while verification for payment of gratuities for retired primary school teachers for the 2019/2020 batch would soon be done.
He mentioned that the financial involvement of gratuities including those inherited from previous administrations remained high even as the government has been working on settling more gratuities after the payment of the 2016 batch.
He commended the Governor for his prompt responses to workers needs especially the recent NUT strike and assured civil servants on the speedy development of the civil service estate in Ibiono Ibom and Ikono Local Councils.
NYCN passes vote of confidence on its president Isah Abubakar
The Northern Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN) has passed a vote of confidence on its President, Comrade Isah Abubakar, Secretary-General of the group, Comrade Michael Musa Shekarau said in a statement sent to The Sun newspapers.
This was coming hours after his purported suspension by a splinter faction led by the Director-General, Media and Publicity of the group, Mock Kure, Shekarau added.
The statement read in part, “we have accessed the situation that led to the purported suspension which is suspected to be politically sponsored.
“It is our considered view that there was nothing the President did that amounted to a betrayal of trust rather a stand for social justice and speaking truth to power. He followed all the group’s internal decision-making mechanisms before heading to the press.
“It is left for the affected government agencies to either act or do otherwise with the information at their disposal in respect of the concerned Niger State gubernatorial aspirant, Alhaji Liman Isah Kantigi.
“To this end, the public is hereby notified that Comrade Isah Abubakar was never suspended from the activities of the group and remains our National President.
“The suspension only exists in the figment of the imagination of those who masterminded its publicity”.
17 jailed for using cloned Facebook accounts for fraud in Enugu
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC has secured the conviction of 17 internet who cloned 20 different Facebook accounts of different individuals and them used them to defraud other individuals in Enugu State.
Justice Ibrahim Buba of the Federal High Court 1, Enugu, Enugu State convicted the internet fraudsters who were all arraigned on one- count charge bordering on cyber crimes.
The convicts are: Aguoha Ujunwa, Samson Ebuzoeme, Iwuji Kelechi John Kennedy, Onyeanu Kinsley, Emmanuel Udo, Mmesoma Emmanuel, Prosper Chizaram Ugochukwu, Chima Chibuike Kingsley, Nzeadi Chika Camillus, Nwaugu Nzubechi Bethel.
Others are Opara Ikenna Christopher, Chindorom Gideoan Ehimere, Okoroafor Samuel and Obaa Emeka Ama, Osinachi Goodness Nwokore, Smart Clinton Onyinyoma, Iheanacho Ikenna, Chinonso Henry Ogu and Anyanwu Foxby.
The one-count charge read:“That you Prosper Chizaram Ugochukwu sometime in 2022 at Enugu, Enugu State within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, fraudulently cloned 20 different Facebook accounts of various unsuspecting individuals without their consent then used same accounts with intent to defraud other individuals and you thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 22(2) (b) (ii) of the Cybercrime (Prevention, Prohibition, etc.) Act 2015 and punishable under Section 22(2) (b) (iv) of the same Act.”
17 of the nineteen 19 suspects pleaded guilty to the charges preferred against them, and were subsequently sentenced to one year imprisonment each, with an option of fine of N1,000, 000( One Million Naira) each, except for Nzeadi Chika Camillus who was given a fine of One Hundred Thousand Naira because he had forfeited a Lexus RX350 car, a proceed of the crime worth N4700,000 (Four Million Seven Hundred Thousand Naira).
The convicts are also to forfeit the gadgets used in committing the crime to the Federal Government.
However, two other suspects Aguoha Ujunwa and Smart Clinton Onyinyoma pleaded not guilty to the charges brought against them, prompting the Judge to set their bail term at N5,000,000( Five Million Naira) each with two sureties in like sum.
Justice Buba adjourned the matter to May 25, 2022 for full trial of the two defendants.