Apple has introduced the Apple Watch Series 9 during its iPhone 15 event, today. This new watch comes with impressive features, runs on watchOS 10, and boasts a powerful S9 SiP chip. Additionally, it contributes to environmental sustainability and offers support for mental health.
Apple Watch Series 9
The Apple Watch Series 9, powered by the S9 SiP chip, boasts a display that can reach a brightness of 2000 nits, double that of its predecessor, the Series 8. This ensures optimal visibility in sunlight and can be dimmed to a single nit in low-light conditions.
In line with Apple’s sustainability efforts, certain combinations of the Series 9, Ultra 2, and SE watches are carbon neutral. The watch introduces a new double-tap gesture for one-handed control without touching the screen, simplifying tasks such as answering calls or stopping timers.
Siri has been upgraded to process requests on-device for tasks not requiring internet, and it can securely log health data from the Health app. The Series 9 watch also includes a second-generation Ultra Wideband (UWB) chip for Precision Finding, aiding users in locating their iPhone accurately and integrating with HomePod for media control.
Quick specifications: Apple Watch Series 9
- Size: 45mm or 41mm
- Material: Aluminum or stainless; steel case size; Carbon neutral
- Always-On Retina display, up to 2000 nits of brightness
- S9 SiP Processor
- Features: Double tap gesture, Faster on-device Siri with health data access
- Precision Finding for iPhone
- Health monitoring: Blood Oxygen app, ECG app, High and low heart
rate notifications, Irregular rhythm notifications, Low cardio fitness notifications
- Fitness: Temperature sensing, Cycle Tracking with retrospective ovulation estimates
- Emergency SOS: International emergency calling, Fall Detection and Crash Detection
- 50m Water resistant and Swim-proof
- Connectivity: GPS + Cellular models
- Battery life: Up to 18 hours, Fast charging support
- Runs on watchOS 10
The Apple Watch Series 9 runs watchOS 10, a significant update with these features:
- Redesigned apps and Smart Stack for quick information access.
- New watch faces: Snoopy, Palette, Solar Analog, and Nike Globe.
- Bluetooth connectivity for cyclists, offering new metrics and workout features.
- Cycling workouts displayed as Live Activity on iPhone.
- Enhanced Compass Waypoints and Maps for outdoor adventures.
- Mental health support with state of mind logging in the Mindfulness app.
- Daylight measurement using the ambient light sensor for eye health and overall well-being.
Variety of Models and Bands
- Apple Watch Series 9: Available in 41mm and 45mm sizes, various colors, and stainless steel options. Carbon neutral with a Sport Loop band.
- Apple Watch Hermès: Stainless steel in silver and space black.
Pricing and availability
- The Apple Watch Series 9 starts at USD 399 for GPS and USD 499 for GPS+Cellular, while the Apple Watch SE is priced at USD 249 for GPS and USD 299 for GPS+Cellular.
Indian Pricing: Apple Watch Series 9
- Aluminium (GPS): 41mm: Rs. 41,990; 45mm: Rs. 44,990
- Aluminium (GPS and Cellular): 41mm: Rs. 51,990; 45mm: Rs. 54,990
- Stainless Steel (GPS and Cellular): 41mm and 45mm: Rs. 70,900
Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch SE are available in various countries including Australia, Canada, France, Germany, India, Japan, the UAE, the U.K., the U.S., and more, with orders starting today and in-store availability from September 22.
- Bands: Apple Watch bands can be ordered from apple.com/store and the Apple Store app, with in-store availability also starting on September 22.
- watchOS 10: Available from September 18 for Apple Watch Series 4 and later models, requiring iPhone XS or later with iOS 17.
- Apple Fitness+: Three months of Apple Fitness+ are included for customers who purchase specified Apple Watch models.