Connect with us

Nigeria Newspapers

Buhari, Atiku mourn Oba Omisore

Published

on

e0513928 still

The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), has extended heartfelt condolences to a former deputy governor of Osun State, Senator Iyiola Omisore, and the entire Omisore family on the passing of their father and Olu of Ayepe-Olode, Oba David Omisore.

He said the late monarch would be remembered for his lifelong dedication to the development of his people.

Buhari’s condolence message was contained in a statement on Monday by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, titled, ‘President Buhari mourns Oba Omisore, father of ex-Osun Deputy Gov’.

Advertisement

The statement read in part, “The President joins the people of Ife in mourning the well-respected traditional ruler, who will be remembered for his lifelong dedication to the development of his people, providing leadership with dignity, love and respect when it mattered most.”

Buhari said he was sure that the Omisore family, friends and associates would continue to honour the departed patriarch’s avowed commitment to peaceful settlement of disputes and promoting harmony among different ethnic groups.

He prayed for the peaceful repose of the departed and comfort for those mourning him.

Advertisement

Similarly, a former Vice-President, Atiku Abubakar, has condoled with the people and government of Osun State on the death of Oba Omisore.

Atiku, in a statement by his media office in Abuja on Monday, said the passage of the traditional ruler at the ripe age of 91 meant that “his elderly counsels would be dearly missed.”

He commiserated with the Omisore family on the demise of its patriarch, saying, “Losing an aged parent can be emotionally challenging, but ultimately it is a grace from God, which should be appreciated.”

Atiku prayed for the Ayepe-Olodo community, the Omisore family and the Osun State Government to find the fortitude to bear the loss and asked God to grant the soul of the departed a gentle repose.

Advertisement

Nigeria Newspapers

NAFDAC bans alcohol production in sachet, PET bottles

Published

on

c4203b44 1720347 prof moji adeyeye

Deborah Tolu-Kolawole, Abuja

The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control has stopped the registration of alcohol in sachet, small volume PET and glass bottles below 200 millilitres.

The Director-General of the agency, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, disclosed this in a statement issued by the agency on Monday.

Advertisement

Adeyeye said the registration of new alcoholic drinks in sachet and small volume PET and glass bottles above 30 per cent alcohol by volume had been banned by NAFDAC, following the recommendation of a high powered committee of the Federal Ministry of Health, NAFDAC, and the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission and Industry in December 2018.

Other members of the committee are the Association of Food, Beverages and Tobacco Employers and Distillers and Blenders Association of Nigeria.

According to the NAFDAC boss, the agency will ensure that the validity of renewal of already registered alcoholic products in the affected category does not exceed the year 2024.

Advertisement

She explained that manufacturers of low volume alcohol beverages (200ml) with satisfactory laboratory reports already submitted to NAFDAC for registration before the decision, have been directed to reformulate their products to the stipulated standards free of charge.

She said, “Distillers and Blenders Association of Nigeria was also given a matching order to embark on intensive nationwide sensitisation campaigns against underage consumption of alcohol by adolescents below the age of 18 years in the bid to stem the tide of alcohol abuse in the country.

“Producers of alcohol in sachets and small volume agreed to reduce production by 50 per cent with effect from January 31st, 2022 while ensuring the products are completely phased out in the country by 31st January 2024.

“The agency is committed to the strict implementation of the regulations and regulatory measures towards safeguarding the health of Nigerians particularly the vulnerable youths against the dangers of reckless consumption of alcohol.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Nigeria Newspapers

Ibrahim Abubakar bags 3-year imprisonment

Published

on

22810ca2 1617187 img 20220121 wa0005 431x540 1

A Bauchi State High Court presided over by Justice M.M. Abubarkar has convicted and sentenced one Ibrahim Abubakar (aka Alhaji Sadiq Babati) to three years imprisonment.

Advertisement

Abubakar was arraigned on a two-count charge of criminal conspiracy and cheating to the tune of N2, 250,000 (Two Million Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand Naira).

The charges were brought against him by the Gombe Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.

The defendant who was arraigned on September 27, 2021, alongside one Hassan Lemaji (now a convict) had pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Advertisement

In the course of the trial, he changed his plea to ‘guilty’, on which basis the trial judge, after the review of facts of the case, found him guilty and sentenced him accordingly.

He was however given an option of a fine of Fifty Thousand Naira (N50, 000), while the Court ordered that the sum of N2,250,000 recovered by EFCC be paid to the victim.

Abubakar’s ordeal started sometime between March and April 2019 when he obtained the said sum by falsely representing to the petitioner that the money was meant to facilitate employment for him at Tertiary Education Trust Fund ( TETFUND), Abuja.

An investigation by the Commission revealed this claim as false.

Advertisement

It was also discovered that, as soon as the defendant received the money, he started avoiding calls from the petitioner who waited for eleven months for the non-existent employment letter.

Continue Reading