Tottenham’s prospects of an emotional reunion with Christian Eriksen have been boosted amid claims the midfielder will consider the move.
The classy Dane is back doing what he does best after an incredible nine months. Indeed, following his collapse with a cardiac arrest at Euro 2020, there were many who doubted Eriksen would ever play again. Such was his health, that rules in Serie A forced Inter Milan to cancel their contract with the player.
Then a free agent, Eriksen decided – following medical advice – to resume his career. That led to Brentford taking Eriksen on board on an initial deal until the end of the season.
It has to be said that Bees boss Thomas Frank has handled his return perfectly. Now one of the first names on the team sheet, Brentford are yet to lose a game in which Eriksen has started in.
And the 30-year-old also has one goal and two assists from just five Premier League starts.
His arrival has coincided too with Brentford all-but guaranteeing their Premier League place for another season.
But with his deal due to expire in the summer, there are several club now queuing up to snap up Eriksen on a free.
Indeed, a report earlier this month listed as many as seven clubs that were all vying his signature.
One of those, Spurs, could see Eriksen complete an emotional return to the club where he truly played the best football of his career.
Christian Eriksen Tottenham talks
And now it’s reported that Eriksen would be willing to make the move back to north London. However, as transfer guru Fabrizio Romano states, any decision on his future will be on hold until the end of the season.
Furthermore, Eriksen will first, out of courtesy, listen to what Brentford have to say over his permanent signing.
“We have heard of rumours about Eriksen and Tottenham in the last few days,” Romano told his Here We Go podcast. “The answer I’m always receiving from Eriksen’s side, is that he is not deciding now or in May – he wants to wait until the end of the season.
“He will meet and speak to Brentford. That is his priority, a matter of respect. We have rumours of Tottenham, because of his relationship with [Antonio] Conte. It is something Tottenham would consider, after he meets Brentford.”
Re-signing the player they sold for £20m just over two years ago is clearly something that would appeal to Tottenham.
Quite how he would fit into the Tottenham side, though, remains to be seen. And to that end, one observer has told Conte to ignore the chance to land him and instead focus on a £60m alternative.
Tottenham learn bargain price for Stefan De Vrij
Meanwhile, with Conte looking to strengthen his defence, he’s been given a significant lift in his pursuit of Stefan De Vrij.
The centre-half is well known to Conte, with the pair working together at Inter Milan.
However, the 30-year-old’s deal at the San Siro expires in summer 2023 and he’s no nearer agreeing an extension.
As such, he looks likely to made available on this summer if the price is right.
Now, as per Tuttosport, Spurs have been given a further incentive to move for the Dutchman this summer.
That’s after it was claimed Inter have placed a modest £16.9m fee on his head.
That price is likely to be music to Tottenham’s ears as they plan to further shape Conte’s squad.
Spurs are also considering a move for Torino’s Gleison Bremer. And while a younger man, he could cost considerably more with his price also becoming evident.
Liverpool make ‘interesting offer’ for player – Reds submit ‘proposal’ for summer signing
On Monday, RMC Sport stated that Aurélien Tchouaméni has ‘reached an agreement’ with Liverpool and Real Madrid, and the two clubs are negotiating with AS Monaco to secure his services.
Marca on Tuesday explain the La Liga side ‘go with everything’ to sign him after Kylian Mbappé snubbed them and signed an extension with Paris Saint-Germain. They now view the midfielder as the ‘best possible replacement’ for Casemiro.
Los Blancos are joined by Liverpool in the chase for Tchouaméni.
Carlo Ancelotti’s side have already held talks with the France international’s entourage. However, the circumstances have changed due to the interest shown by the Merseyside club.
Real Madrid have found out Liverpool have made an ‘interesting offer for the midfielder’. They also know first-hand about the interest shown by other sides and also the player wanting to leave Monaco immediately.
The Spanish giants have now found themselves in the picture with the Reds, who have made a ‘proposal’ to sign Tchouaméni this summer.
Although the player is keen to leave the club, Marca state the 22-year-old has not made a decision ‘definitely’.
Tchouaméni is looking to join a team where he can be a regular, to have an important role with the national team at the 2022 World Cup.
Time will tell whether the Frenchman feels that he can get that with Liverpool, Real Madrid or another club.
2 in, 1 out: The transfer scenarios that might play out at Portsmouth early in the summer transfer window
Portsmouth will be looking to move forward as a club under the guidance of head coach Danny Cowley in the 2022/23 campaign.
Whereas Pompey did produce some encouraging performances in League One last season, a lack of consistency throughout the term resulted in them finishing 10 points adrift of the play-offs places.
In order to emerge as legitimate contenders for a top-six finish, Portsmouth will need to nail their transfer recruitment in the coming months.
Cowley will also need to make decisions regarding the futures of some of the current members of his squad.
Ahead of the start of the window, we have decided to take a look at three transfer scenarios that could play out at Portsmouth…
In: Lynden Gooch
As per a recent report from BBC Sport journalist Andrew Moon, Portsmouth are interested in signing Lynden Gooch this summer.
However, any potential deal will depend on whether Sunderland opt against extending the defender’s stay at the Stadium of Light as his current deal is set to expire next month.
The 26-year-old provided six direct goal contributions in 41 league appearances last season as he helped the Black Cats seal promotion to the Championship via the play-offs.
In: Kyle Wootton
Another player who has been linked with a move to Portsmouth is Notts County forward Kyle Wootton.
Cowley recently admitted that Wootton is on a list of potential targets heading into the upcoming window.
Currently on course to become a free-agent this summer, the forward scored 19 goals for Notts County in the National League last season and will unquestionably be keen to test himself in the Football League again in the upcoming campaign.
Quiz: 24 facts every Portsmouth supporter should know about their club – Can you score full marks?
Out: Sean Raggett
Portsmouth will be desperate to keep Sean Raggett at Fratton Park this summer as he produced a host of impressive performances for the club last season.
In the 45 league appearances that he made for Pompey, the defender managed to record an impressive WhoScored match rating of 7.10.
Although Portsmouth have offered Raggett a new contract, the 29-year-old could opt to move on to pastures new when his current deal expires if he attracts interest from a team in a higher division.
In order to cover the possibility of Raggett leaving the club, Pompey will need to draft up a list of replacements for him.