Connect with us

News

Consensus candidate is healthy for PDP, says Tambuwal

Published

on

Aminu Waziri Tambuwal

The governor of Sokoto State, Aminu Tambuwal, says having a consensus presidential candidate for 2023 is healthy for the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.

Mr Tambuwal, who is one of PDP’s presidential aspirants, stated this while speaking with journalists shortly after submitting his nomination and expression of interest form for the presidential election in Abuja on Tuesday.

Mr Tambuwal, who was represented by Nicholas Msheliza, also expressed optimism that consensus arrangement would favour him.

“Consensus is a good thing. Is healthy for the party. Our prayer, I’m thinking is that the consensus will favour me.

“So far, I am the frontline aspirant, our thinking, our prayer and hope is that the consensus will go my way.”

Mr Msheliza, who said that Mr Tambuwal had canvased support round the country, expressed joy on the level of his acceptability among the PDP family nationwide, which he described as overwhelming and encouraging.

“For the fact that he is one presidential candidate that has traversed over the 360 Federal Constituencies of this country gives him an edge.

“He knows the demography and the geography of this country. He knows the problem of this country. He is the actual unifier. He is the bridge builder. He’s so humble.

“He is such a person that is so energetic and vibrant. He can be trusted to forge partnership and alliances and rescue and build this nation from where we have found ourselves today,” he added.

He added that Tambuwal would continue his consultations across the country.

NAN

WATCH NOW

DOWNLOAD NOW

News

We’ve left all to God – Deborah Yakubu’s parents speak on her murder

Published

on

FB IMG 1652641630141

Emmanuel Garba, father of late Deborah Samuel, says his family has taken her death as an act of God.

Deborah, who was killed over alleged blasphemy in Sokoto, was laid to rest on Saturday in her hometown in Tunga Magajiya, Rijau LGA of Niger state.

In an interview with Daily Post, Garba said his family is saddened by Deborah’s killing, but added that nothing can be done about the situation.

Garba also narrated how he paid N120,000 to convey his daughter’s corpse from Sokoto to Niger after convincing the Sokoto state government to allow him to bury his child.

“We can’t say or do anything, except to take it easy as an act of God. We have left all to God, we have decided to take it like that,” Garba said.

“I personally went and brought back the body of my daughter to enable me to bury my own child. This is because keeping her in the morgue will not return her back.

“When I got there, I met government officials and made them understand the need to allow me take her back home and they agreed with me. When we got to the morgue, those in charge asked me to sign the necessary documents and I did. They released the corpse to me.

“I personally, paid the sum of N120,000 to the driver out of many that refused to convey her back home and it is because of the condition of the remains. Most drivers we approached all refused except one.

“The government wanted me to leave the remains, when they called me, I said no, they should allow me to please, bury my daughter.”

Alheri Emmanuel, the mother of the deceased, said Deborah was the second out of seven children.

“I have nothing to say, I am grateful to God and for your efforts. I have given God my heart and may God strengthen me. We have nothing to say,” Alheri said.

“Because of what happened to me, I will no longer send my children to schools where so much money is involved. Because of her education, the education of some of her siblings suffered as it is so difficult to care for them all at the same time. And, now things are difficult for us.”

WATCH NOW

DOWNLOAD NOW

Continue Reading

News

BEWARE! New style hackers use to unlock, steal vehicles

Published

on

Hackers

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has alerted telecom consumers and members of the public about an ongoing cyber-vulnerability that allows a nearby hacker to unlock vehicles, start their engines wirelessly and make away with cars.

NCC spokesman, Ikechukwu Adinde, said in a statement that the fact that car remotes are categorized short range devices that make use of Radio Frequency, RF, to lock and unlock cars informed the need for the commission to alert the general public on this emergent danger, where hackers take advantage to unlock and start a compromised car.

“According to the latest advisory released by the Computer Security Incident Response Team (CSIRT), the Cybersecurity Centre for the telecom sector established by the NCC, the vulnerability is a Man-in-the-Middle (MitM) attack or, more specifically, a replay attack in which an attacker intercepts the RF signals normally sent from a remote key fob to the car, manipulates these signals, and re-sends them later to unlock the car at will.

“With this latest type of cyber-attack, it is also possible to manipulate the captured commands and re-transmit them to achieve a different outcome altogether.

“Multiple researchers disclosed a vulnerability, which is said to be used by a nearby attacker to unlock some Honda and Acura car models and start their engines wirelessly. The attack consists of a threat actor capturing the radio frequency (RF) signals sent from your key fob to the car and resending these signals to take control of your car’s remote keyless entry system,” the advisory stated emphatically.

He however said the NCC-CSIRT, in the advisory, has offered some precautionary measures or solutions that can be adopted by car owners to prevent falling victim to the attack.

According to the cyber-alert unit of the commission, “When affected, the only mitigation is to reset your key fob at the dealership. Besides, the affected car manufacturer may provide a security mechanism that generate fresh codes for each authentication request, this makes it difficult for an attacker to ‘replay’ the codes thereafter. Additionally, vulnerable car users should store their key fobs in signal-blocking ‘Faraday pouches’ when not in use.”

“Importantly, car owners in the stated categories are advised to choose Passive Keyless Entry (PKE) as opposed to Remote Keyless Entry (RKE), which would make it harder for an attacker to read the signal due to the fact that criminals would need to be at close proximity to carry out their nefarious acts.

“The PKE is an automotive security system that operates automatically when the user is in proximity to the vehicle, unlocking the door on approach or when the door handle is pulled, and also locking it when the user walks away or touches the car on exit. The RKE system, on the other hand, represents the standard solution for conveniently locking and unlocking a vehicle’s doors and luggage compartment by remote control,” said the statement.

Additionally, in a related advisory, the NCC, based on another detection by CSIRT, wishes to inform the general public about the resurgence of Joker Trojan-Infected Android Apps on Google Play Store.

“This arose due to the activities of criminals who intentionally download legitimate apps from the Play Store, modify them by embedding the Trojan malware and then uploading the app back to the Play Store with a new name.

“The malicious payload is only activated once the apps goes live on the Play Store, which enables the apps to scale through Google’s strict evaluation process. Once installed, these apps request for permissions that once granted, enable the apps to have access to critical functions such as text messages and notifications.

“As a consequence, a compromised device will subscribe unwitting users to premium services, billing them for services that do not exist. A device like this can also be used to commit Short Messaging Service (SMS) fraud while the owner is unaware.

“It can click on online ads automatically and even use SMS One Time password (OTPs) to secretly approve payments. Without checking bank statements, the user will be unaware that he or she has subscribed to an online service. Other actions, such as stealing text messages, contacts, and other device data, are also possible.

“To avoid falling victim to the manipulation of hackers deploying Joker Trojan-Infected Android Apps, Android users have been advised to avoid downloading unnecessary apps or installing apps from unofficial sources. The NCC also wishes to advise telecom consumers to ensure that apps installed from the Google Play Store are heavily scrutinized by reading reviews, assessing the developers, perusing the terms of use and only granting the necessary permissions.

“Conclusively, the NCC recommends that unauthorised transactions be checked against any installed app. Indeed, any apps not in use should be deleted while users are also advised to ensure that a device is always patched and updated to the latest software,” Mr Adinde added.

WATCH NOW

DOWNLOAD NOW

Continue Reading