Connect with us


Court remands man over alleged kidnap of neighbour’s son in Kaduna



Court Gavel

A Kaduna Chief Magistrates’ Court on Monday remanded a 36-year-old trader, Abdullahi Nurudeen, in a correctional centre for alleged kidnap of his neighbour’s son.

The defendant, a resident of Ali Akilu Road in Kaduna, is charged on a two-count charge of criminal conspiracy and kidnapping.

The prosecutor, Chidi Leo, told the court that Farouq Sani of Sabon Gaya in Kaduna reported the matter at Gabasawa Police Station on February 9.

According to the prosecutor, on the same date at about 4 p.m, the complainant came back from work and discovered that his 10-year-old son is missing.

He said that when the complainant asked other neighbours if they saw his son, he was told that the defendant and two others at large were seen with the boy.

“The complainant subsequently reported the matter to the police and the defendant was arrested in connection to the matter.

“In the course of interrogation, the defendant confessed to have conspired with Aminu Hassan and Barau Ahmed now at large to kidnap the child,” Mr Leo, a police inspector, added.

The prosecutor said that the offences contravened Sections 59 and 247 of the Kaduna State Penal Code Law, 2017.

However, the prosecutor informed the court that the matter was brought before it only for cognisance, as the court lacks jurisdiction to entertain the case.

Mr Leo therefore urged the court to remand the defendant to allow for their proper arraignment before a competent court.

The magistrate, Ibrahim Emmanuel ordered that the defendant be remanded and adjourned the matter until May 30, to enable the police forward the case file to the State Director of Public Prosecution for advice.





APC member shot in Rivers as party holds delegate ward congress



images 2022 05 18T120351.4732

A member of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APC) whose identity is yet to be revealed, was shot on Wednesday during a protest to the state party secretariat in Port Harcourt.

This was following a protest by members of the party loyal to Sen. Magnus Abe over their alleged exclusion from the process.

THE WITNESS had reported that gunshots marred the party’s screening process for the delegates’ selection on Wednesday.

The party had held its delegate ward congresses across the 319 wards of the state in view of the forthcoming primary elections of the party.

While the process was ongoing at the different wards, some members of the party who appeared with placards, chanting Sen. Abe’s name stormed the state secretariat of the party, protesting their alleged exclusion from the process.

State Publicity Secretary of APC, Senibo Finebone, regretted that mobs stormed the state office of the party, adding that the protesters had no clear demand.

He said: “This morning, we came in very early and started giving out materials for the ward congresses, but after a while we noticed mobs gathering at the state secretariat.

“The police tried to know what their purpose was, they were incoherent and without a leader, obviously a mob. So, the police concentrated on securing the secretariat, but the mob continued to grow in number.

“After a while, they started becoming violent and that was when the security called for reinforcement. Reinforcement came and the mob was not able to provide any coherent demand. They were only chanting the name of Magnus Abe.”

“We didn’t know why they should do that. That was the situation until they were chased away. I heard that somebody collapsed in the process but didn’t die.”

Finebone added that the outcome of the congress would remain valid, noting that the Independent National Electoral Commission, supervised the congress.




Continue Reading


FCT minister orders indefinite closure of Dei-Dei market over deadly clash



logo mast head

The minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Malam Mohammad Bello has ordered the indefinite closure of Dei – Dei International Market following a clash between commercial motorcyclists and the traders which resulted in the loss of five lives, on Wednesday.

He directed for the immediate closure after inspecting the scene of the incident with FCT Commissioner of Police Sunday Babaji, Director of state security services among other sister security agencies and top officials of the FCT Administration.

Violence erupted in the market after a female trader yet to be identified fell off a commercial motorcycle and was crushed to death by an articulated vehicle.

According to the Minister “The community and market leaders must fish out hoodlums and bad eggs among them, unfortunately, this time around hoodlums carry arms and they shot innocent people. As a matter of fact, I saw four corpses this is very sad and totally unequivocally unacceptable in Abuja.

“We have agreed with security agencies that full-scale investigations will be done, and the communities have to be part and parcel of the solution or else there will be no peace. In the interim, the timber market and the surrounding markets,  including all the activities on-road that have clustered the road and made it unpassable will all stop until the technical team reviews everything, and then we will take the next decision.

“I am appealing to other communities within the FCT that there is no tribal or religious misunderstanding because all the leaders of various communities have lived here in peace for many years. This is simply the matter of criminals and hoodlums taking the laws into their hands” he said.

On his part, the vice-chairman of Timber Shed market Dei-Dei, Ifeanyi Chibata explained to the minister and his team that 45 to 50 shops were burnt while 25 vehicles worth one billion Naira were set ablaze which

Also speaking, the secretary of the Tomato and Onion Sellers Association in the market, Dahiru Garba Mani disclosed that four persons were killed during the clash in the market.

They both appealed to the minister of FCT to make provision for a police division with adequate personnel.

In a related development, the Police said they have restored calm in the market. In a statement issued by the FCT Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Josephine Adah, the FCT Police Commissioner, Babaji Sunday, stated that; “Following the outbreak of civil unrest at Building Material market, Dei Dei area of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) at about 11:30 am today 18th of May 2022, comprehensive deployment of tactical and intelligence assets of the Command led by the Commissioner of Police CP Babaji Sunday psc drifted swiftly to the scene to ensure that the unrest is being nipped in the board and managed, forestalling the destruction of private and government infrastructures, loss of lives and properties and to restore normalcy to the situation.

“Consequent upon the above, the Police  in a concerted effort with other State apparatus upon arrival at the scene, managed the uproar preventing further disintegration of law and Order.” He stated.

Babaji assured that Police monitoring and surveillance to ascertain the cause of the outbreak of violence, sustain the relative peace restored, and affirm the resultant level of damage is ongoing, that findings will be communicated in due time.



Continue Reading