Connect with us

Nigeria Newspapers

COVID 19: Delta attains 7.05% vaccination, tasks media on sensitisation

Published

on

279817d4 993111 delta

The State Commissioner for Health, Dr Mordi Ononye, with the Commissioner of Information, Mr Charles Aniagwu, disclosed this at a joint press conference in Asaba.

Ononye said that the state currently occupies the ninth position of states that have administered the vaccines.

“Efforts and modalities are on to ensure we attain the 50 per cent population target before Jan. 31,  2022,” he said.

Advertisement

Ononye said that the Ministry of Health partnered the Ministry of Youths, Education, Local Government Authorities and the religious bodies to ensure that people accept and take the vaccination.

He said that the treatment of COVID in the state government health facilities is free, but advised residents to key into the State Health Insurance Scheme to make healthcare easier for them.

Ononye disclosed that the recent COVID infections had been attributed to the Omicron variant due to its fast spread.

Advertisement

He added that out of the total of 3,295 sample tested in December, 395 persons tested positive in the state many of which were asymptomatic.

Ononye, however, advised the general public to continue to observe all the COVID-19 protocols of hand washing, use of face masks, social distancing and avoiding crowded places.

“We have always had an enforcement team in place but we try as much as possible not to be punitive in the things that we do but to appeal to the good sense of judgement of our people to please apply themselves to what has been prescribed.

“It is sad to know that some persons, especially religious bodies, have added some untrue sentiments to this issue of vaccination that has created doubts and low number of persons that show up for vaccination not just in Delta.

Advertisement

“Presently, Delta occupies number nine positions as at today in the ranking on vaccination in the country but we are putting every possible measure to achieve a good percentage of what is expected of us,” Ononye said.

He disclosed that the state has not recorded any death in the fourth wave, adding that the government and the people must not take the situation for granted but sustain all practical measures to prevent the disease from spreading.

Ononye  said that the advent of the pandemic has greatly impacted on infrastructural development of health facility, training and engagement of more personnel with adequate information on the disease.

“This new wave spreads faster but seem to cause less sever damages in the body because of its nature, but we need to be more conscious.

Advertisement

“I took the vaccine in March and I am still standing. So, all the wrong notions being preached about the vaccine are all lies.

“The media should please help us in advocacy, let the public know that the vaccine is for their own good and they should get vaccinated,” Ononye said.

Dr Jude Wniful-Orike, Permanent Secretary, State Primary Health Care Development Agency, who was also at the conference, said that the state commenced COVID vaccination on March 12, 2021.

Wniful-Orike disclosed that the state has already gone through the first and second phases of the vaccination which took care of the front line health workers and the vulnerable group with Astrazenica and Modena vaccines.

Advertisement

He said that the booster dose has also been introduced for those who had taken the second dose six months ago.

“The booster dose is at all government health facilities and the private hospitals across the state.”

According to him, the state is entering into the third phase of mass vaccination exercise to cover those who have attained 18 years and above.

“From Nov 17, 2021, to date, for the third phase; for Astrazenica, we have vaccinated 107,160 for first dose, and 65,719 persons for the second dose.

Advertisement

“For Modena vaccine, we have vaccinated 4,068 persons for first dose, and 3,661 persons for second dose,” Winful-Orike said. (NAN)

Nigeria Newspapers

Four welders embezzle N15m disbursed by Edo govt.

Published

on

69b3a1c4 1617156 img 20220121 wa0012 636x347 1

The quartet of Isaac Ogundimu, John Odaro, Andrew Egharevba, and Omorogbe Jacob has been found guilty of embezzling the N15 million disbursed by the Edo State Government.

Advertisement

The money was disbursed by the Edo State Government to the Edo State Welders Association for the empowerment of welders in the state.

The four men, who are executive members of the association, then diverted the money for their personal use.

However, Justice Ohimai Ovbiagele of the Edo State High Court sitting in Benin, declare the men guilty on Friday.

Advertisement

Wilson Uwujaren, EFCC’s Head of Media and Publicity, who confirmed the development on Monday, said the suspects were arraigned in 2017 on a 15-count charge bordering on conspiracy, stealing by conversion, and forgery.

Upon arraignment, the four defendants pleaded not guilty setting the stage for a full trial.

To prove the allegations against the defendants the prosecution counsel, Moses Arumemi, Austin Ozigbu, Onyeka Ekweozor and Ibrahim Mohammed, called five witnesses and tendered eight exhibits while the defendants filed a no-case submission which was dismissed by the court and they were ordered to enter their defence.

However, Justice Ohimai Ovbiagele in her judgment found the defendants guilty, convicted and sentenced them to seven years imprisonment or a fine of N650, 000 each.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Nigeria Newspapers

Bogoro crisis: Dogara stripped of traditional title in Bauchi 

Published

on

6c173c70 1720275 yakubu dogara

A former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, has been suspended by the Emir of Bauchi, Rilwanu Adamu, as Jakadan Bauchi.

The suspension followed the attacks on the convoys of the Emirs of Bauchi and Dass, Biliyaminu Othman, on December 31, 2021, by hoodlums on their way to Mwari for the 21st anniversary of a late leader and crusader, Peter Gonto.

Adamu, while speaking to journalists at a press conference in his Palace on Monday, said the suspension is with immediate effect.

Advertisement

The monarch, who was represented by the Galadiman Bauchi, Sa’idu Jahun, said, “More surprisingly, he did not sympathise nor showed any sign of remorse towards what happened to their Royal Highnesses, the Emirs of Bauchi and Dass.

“The Emirate Council, therefore, decided to suspend his title of Jakadan Bauchi until the determination of the case by the court.”

had reported that the convoys of the two Emirs who were on their way to a book launch/anniversary lecture and Foundation launch, of Gonto, when they were attacked after it turned violent and had to turn back to Bauchi with some vehicles in their convoys damaged. The windscreen of the Emir of Dass was among the vehicles partly destroyed.

Advertisement

Dogara, who represents Dass/Tafawa Balewa/Bogoro Constituency in the House of Representatives and is in his fourth term, had written a letter to the Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba, informing him of security threats if the event is allowed to hold.

But despite the warning, the Bauchi State Commissioner of Police, Umar Sanda, gave approval for the event to hold just as he ordered the full deployment of police tactical teams to provide security to lives and properties before, during and after the memorial anniversary and book launch of the grandfather of Dogara’s wife.

Shortly after the memorial lecture and book launch commenced at the Government Secondary School, Mwari in Bogoro LGA, women and youths besieged the venue of the event forcing it to end abruptly.

They later set the venue on fire burning down chairs, canopies, musical equipment and many other properties. Ten houses were later confirmed by the Bauchi State Police Command in a statement, as having been burnt during the crisis.

Advertisement
Continue Reading