Connect with us

News

Cristiano Ronaldo’s bodyguards ‘are being investigated in Portugal for illegally working for him’

Published

on

1638345125 264 Cristiano Ronaldos Bodyguards worked Illegally Check Out

Cristiano Ronaldo’s twin bodyguards are allegedly being investigated in Portugal for unlawfully working for the superstar.

Sergio and Jorge Ramalheiro, brothers who formerly served in an elite special forces unit in Afghanistan, are on unpaid leave from the Portuguese police to provide private protection for the Manchester United striker.

Advertisement

According to Observador, it is unlawful for them to work in Portugal while on leave without permission from the police.

According to sources, the men may stand prosecution for providing unlicensed close protection and will face disciplinary processes when they return to the Public Security Police unit.

Advertisement

They were placed under investigation after they were seen on two occasions working for Ronaldo in Lisbon while on their leave.

An insider told The Mirror that carrying out private security without a police licence can result in a jail term of up to five years.

Advertisement

People who hire unlicensed bodyguards can also face prosecution in Portugal, but there is no suggestion Ronaldo is suspected of any wrongdoing.

A force spokesman said: ‘We do not comment on cases under investigation.’

Advertisement

The footballer, 36, who returned to United in August, was seen guarded by the brothers in September shortly after they were hired as he prepared to jet to Switzerland with the squad for a Champions League tie.

One of the twins was also spotted last month at a birthday party organised by Ronaldo’s pregnant girlfriend Georgia Rodriguez for their daughter Alana Martina, four, in Madrid.

Advertisement

The Ramalheiro brothers previously worked for a Portuguese police close protection unit protecting judges and politicians.

Portuguese celeb magazine Flash said the twins, part of a set of triplets, had been hired by Cristiano after they requested to go on leave from the police to pursue other interests.

Advertisement

The third brother, named as Alexandre, is still understood to be working as a police officer.

An insider told local media: ‘Sergio and Jorge dress elegantly and look very normal.

Advertisement

‘They are capable of mixing with the crowd but they are quick to think, see and act at the right moment.’

News

Senator drags estranged wife of Fani-Kayode to court over alleged defamation

Published

on

Precious Chikwendu and FFK

A former senator,  Grace Bent has dragged Precious Chikwendu, estranged wife of former Aviation Minister, Femi Fani-Kayode to the Federal High Court, Abuja over alleged defamation of character.

When the matter was called on Monday, however, Chikwendu was absent in court and there was no legal representation on her behalf.

Joseph Offor who announced his appearance for the prosecution said that he was holding the brief of  Victor Okoye who was away in Lagos.

Advertisement

Offor told the court that he had little information about the case and so could not explain why Chikwendu and her legal team were absent in court.

The trial judge, Justice Obiora Egwuatu subsequently adjourned the matter until March 10 for arraignment.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Chikwendu, an ex-beauty queen had, through her social media handle, accused Bent of using the police to intimate her with regards to the feud between her and her former husband.

Bent, however, in a statement, described the allegation as “very weighty” adding that she was consulting with her legal team and would not hesitate to seek appropriate legal redress.

Advertisement

Bent, who is a close friend and longtime political associate of Fani-Kayode, has debunked the allegations, describing it as a “very weighty” one that carries “assassination tendencies and intendment.”

Continue Reading

News

Court issues arrest warrant against ex-Petroleum Minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke

Published

on

Exposing massive corruption of Diezani Alison Madueke

A Federal High Court, Abuja, on Monday, issued an arrest warrant against the former Minister of Petroleum Resources,  Diezani Alison-Madueke, believed to be residing in the UK.

Justice Bolaji Olajuwon granted the request, after counsel for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Farouk Abdullah, made an oral application.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the court had fixed Nov. 3, 2021 for the EFCC to give a report on its effort at extraditing Alison-Madueke to the country to stand her trial, and for possible mention of the case.

Advertisement

But on the adjourned date, the case was stalled as neither Abdullah nor Alison-Madueke was in sight.

Justice Olajuwon then fixed today, Jan. 24, for the matter and adjourned for report or for possible mention of the matter.

NAN reports that though Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu was initially the presiding judge in the matter, the case was reassigned to Justice Olajuwon, following the transfer of Ojukwu to the Calabar division of the court.

It would be recalled that Ojukwu had, on Oct. 28, 2020, rejected the EFCC’s prayer to issue a warrant of arrest against Alison-Madueke, citing the commission’s failure to enforce the earlier criminal summons, which the court issued on the former minister since July 24, 2020, saying court orders are not made in vain.

Advertisement

The commission had, in requesting for the criminal summons in July 2020, claimed that it was required to facilitate the ex-minister’s extradition to Nigeria.

Faced with the failure of the ex-minister to honour the summons, the EFCC, through its lawyer, Abdullah, urged Justice Ojukwu to issue a warrant of arrest against her, saying that the extradition process failed as a result of the absence of the warrant of arrest.

The judge, who turned down the request, directed the lawyer to file an affidavit to that effect supported by evidence from the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), and adjourned for report and possible arraignment of the defendant (Alison-Madueke).

However, when the matter was called on Monday, Abdullah was in court.

Advertisement

He told the court that all efforts by the agency to get the ex-minister extradited when the matter was before Ojukwu were unsuccessful.

Abdullah, who made an oral application for an arrest warrant, said the application was part of the requirements by the office of the AGF for the extradition.

He said that the arrest warrant was needed to further give the International Police (INTERPOL) the impetus to  bring the defendant to Nigeria to answer to charges against her.

Justice Olajuwon then granted the application and adjourned the matter sine die pending when the defendant (Alison-Madueke) is arrested and produced in court.

Advertisement

NAN reports that Abdullah had, in an application, urged the court “to issue an arrest warrant against Alison-Madueke, who is believed to be in the UK to enable all law enforcement agencies and the INTERPOL to arrest her anywhere she is sighted and be brought before the court to answer to the allegation made against her before the court.”

He said since the summon had not been able to achieve the desired result, the need for a warrant of arrest cannot be over-emphasised.

NAN reports that the court had, on July 24, 2020, ordered the former minister to appear before it and answer to the money laundering charge filed against her by the EFCC.

The court gave the ruling in an ex-parte motion marked FHC/ABJ/CR/208/2018 brought by Abdullah.

Advertisement

The EFCC had accused the former minister of fleeing the country for the UK in order to escape justice, among others.

The lawyer, in a document filed along with the motion ex-parte, said it sought to question Alison-Madueke, without success, in relation to many allegations against her, including “her role as the Minister of Petroleum Resources and her role in the award of Strategic Alliance Agreement (SAA) to Septa Energy Limited, Atlantic Energy Drilling Concept Limited and Atlantic Energy Brass Development Limited by NNPC.

He said it also wanted Alison-Madueke to respond to questions about “her role in the chartering of private jets by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and Ministry of Petroleum Resources and her role in the award of contracts by NNPC to Marine and Logistics Services Limited.”

Abdallah said the agency was investigating Alison-Madueke‘s business relationships with  Donald Amamgbo,  Afam Nwokedi, Chief lkpea Leemon, s Olatimbo Bukola Ayinde,  Benedict Peters, Christopher Aire, Harcourt Adukeh, Julian Osula, Dauda Lawal, Nnamdi Okonkwo,   Leno Laithan, Sahara Energy Group and Midwestern Oil Limited, among others.

Advertisement

He added that Alison-Madueke was also required to clear air on “her role in financing the 2015 general elections, particularly the money that were warehoused at Fidelity Bank Plc in 2015 prior to the elections.”

He said it equally wanted the ex-minister to speak on several items, documents and jewellery recovered from her house at No: 10, Chiluba Close, off Jose Marti Street, Asokoro, Abuja, and  some identified property that were linked to her In Nigeria, UK, U.S., United Arab Emirate and South Africa.

It would be recalled that the EFCC Chairman, Abdultasheed  Bawa in the April 2021 edition of the agency’s in-house magazine, disclosed that the anti-corruption commission recovered 153 million dollars from Alison-Madueke.

Bawa said the agency also recovered the final forfeiture of over 80 property in Nigeria valued at about $80 million from the former minister, who has been living in the UK since leaving office some years ago.

Advertisement

The EFCC boss said he would want the former minister to face trial in Nigeria.

Besides, as part of the ongoing investigations of the former Petroleum Minister, the EFCC. on Dec. 15, 2021, said it arrested a former Managing Director of Fidelity Bank Plc, Nnamdi Okonkwo, allegedly over an additional $72.87 million still in the coffers of the bank.

Okonkwo and Charles Onyedibe were quizzed by operatives over the latest discovery.

Okonkwo, who is the chairman of First Bank Holding, alongside others, had earlier been grilled over $153 million and another $115 million by the commission.

Advertisement

While all the $153 million was recovered by the EFCC, the cases involving $115 million, as it relates with the Independent National Electoral Commission bribery matter, are in various courts. the EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren, had disclosed in a statement.

Continue Reading