Ogun Area 1 Command of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) on Thursday, has appealed to the state chapter of the National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN) to join hands with the Federal Government so as to stop the menace of smuggling in the Gateway State.
The Comptroller for Ogun 1 Area Command, Dera Nnadi, spoke on Thursday while he received members of the council at the Command’s headquarters in Idiroko border.
Nnadi pleaded with the youth leaders to make good use of their positions in order to educate fellow youths not only on the menace of smuggling, but also on other cross-border crimes.
The customs boss regretted that Ogun had been tagged as a war zone as some youths wage war with the Federal Government in its efforts at actualising the objectives of growing the nation’s economy.
Earlier, the NYCN officials, led state Chairman, Abdul-Jabar Ayelaagbe, appealed to customs desist from the habit of “indiscriminate gunshots within towns,” each time they were on the trail of smugglers, especially within towns in the Ogun West axis of the state.
Ayelaagbe said a number of lives had been lost due to indiscriminate shooting of firearms within the towns by NCS anti-smuggling operatives.
However, the controller responded that the service and the Federal Government would appreciate the support of the youths towards actualising the objectives of eradicating smuggling activities in Ogun.
While not conceding that smuggling was as a result of unemployment, Nnadi asked the youths to avail themselves of the opportunities provided by the ongoing recruitment exercise into the Nigeria Customs Service to better their careers in life.
He added that “the NCS always accords high priorities to nativity of the border communities each time it is recruiting.”
2.5m Kaduna residents to benefit from ANRiN nutrition, reproductive health services
From Sola Ojo, Kaduna
About 2.5 million Kaduna state residents have been targeted to be provided with basic package of nutrition services and adolescent health services at community level under the World Bank-supported Accelerating Nutrition Results in Nigeria (ANRiN) project, the Project Coordinator, Dr Zainab Muhammad-Idris said on Tuesday.
Muhammad-Idris who said this at the end of the quarterly stakeholders meeting of the ANRiN project added that the services would be provided by two non-state actors which are eHealth Africa and Society for Family Health (SFH).
She reminded the attendees that ANRiN, a five-year World Bank-supported project was designed to increase the utilisation of quality, cost-effective nutrition services for pregnant and lactating women, adolescent girls and children under five years.
According to her, the objective was to reduce chronic malnutrition, maternal and child mortality rates and in the long run, increase school completion, performance and improve labour force productivity.
She said that the two NSAs were contracted in 2021 to deliver the services to the target groups at the community level, adding that so far, the project has reached 895,724 in 2021.
“Considering the outstanding performance of the two NSAs in 2021, I am confident that they will meet their targets which are expected to commence by June. We are happy with their performance so far. What we desire to see is for them to sustain the efforts and do better,” she said.
Project Director, eHealth Africa ANRiN Project, Dr Aminu Abubakar promised that eHealth would reach 556,749 beneficiaries in 12 local government areas between June 2022 and June 2023 saying the providers were being sourced from the communities where services were provided to strengthen acceptability and community ownership.
He said “We have employed two visually inspired persons who are providing services in their communities, and they are doing very well. We plan to recruit 24 more, two each from our 12 local government coverage areas.
“Out of the 556,74 targets, 104,187 pregnant and lactating women would be counselled on maternal, infant and young child nutrition, and provided deworming tablets to 138,502 children 12 to 59 months.
“131,036 children from six to 59 months would be provided with Vitamin A supplementation, while 51,805 children and their mothers would be provided with Zinc/ORS for diarrhoea”.
The project director also said that micronutrient powder would be provided to 53,473 children, six to 23 months with counselling and IFA supplement tablets with counselling to 32,640 pregnant women.
“Malaria drugs will also be provided to 29,737 pregnant women and modern contraceptive services with counselling to 15,369 women and adolescent girls,” Abubakar said.
On his part, Project Director, SFH ANRiN Project Ibrahim Mohammed said that SFH had a target of providing services to 1.92 million beneficiaries in 13 local government areas.
Mohammed said that of the 1.92 million targets, 360,784 pregnant and lactating women would be counselled on maternal, infant and young child nutrition, while deworming tablets would be provided to 481,755 children.
He said that 455,786 children would receive Vitamin A supplementation and 180,194 children would receive Zinc/ORS for diarrhoea ea, while their mothers counselled.
“Also, 185,839 will be provided with micronutrient powder six to 23 months with counselling, while 113,024 pregnant women will receive IFA supplement tablets with counselling.
“Malaria drugs will also be provided to 102,978 pregnant women while contraceptive services will be provided to 39,548 women and adolescents,” he said.
Govt sets to decongest correctional service centres in Ebonyi
From Chijioke Agwu, Abakaliki
Ebonyi state Security Council has expressed dismay over the congestion of Correctional Service Centres across the state.
It therefore directed the state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice to, Chief Cletus Ofoke, to liaise with the state Comptroller of corrections to get the full lists of inmates awaiting trial with a view to decongesting the correctional service centres.
The state Attorney General, Cletus Ofoke disclosed this while briefing journalists after the state Security Council meeting at new government House, Centenary city, Abakaliki.
He said “the security council has noted with dismay the congestion nature of the Correctional Service Centres in Ebonyi state and council directed that the Attorney General and CP should liaise with the Comptroller of corrections to get the full lists of inmates awaiting trials with a view to decongesting the correctional service centres in the state by way of either releasing them base on opinions from the Ministry of Justice or by granting of bail by the court”.
On the crisis that erupted in Akaeze, Ivo local government area of the state on Sunday in which some lives were lost with property burnt, the council directed the state Commissioner of Police, Garba Aliyu, and the state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice to ensure that all those arrested in connection with the mayhem were made to face the law.
“Council received briefing on the carnage in Akaeze, Ivo local government area of Ebonyi state just two days ago. Council has condemned the carnage and has directed that the state Commissioner of Police and my humble self the Attorney General to ensure that those arrested face the law.
“Council directed that there should be regular briefing on the outcome of the prosecution of the perpetrators of the dastardly act.
“Council however commended Ebubeagu Security Outfit for what they are doing in the state in securing the environment, protecting properties and that of lives.
“Council however warned that the personnel should always do their job in line with the rules of engagement. Council directed that the CP and other security agencies should be on the watch for Ebubeagu personnel who may want to go contrary to rules of engagement”, he said.