adplus-dvertising
News Today

DHQ Grills Soldiers Over Sudden Withdrawal Before Kebbi School Abduction

Nigerias DHQ

The Defence Headquarters in Abuja has launched a full-scale investigation into the sudden withdrawal of military personnel from the Government Girls’ Comprehensive Senior Secondary School, Maga, in Danko/Wasagu Local Government Area of Kebbi State, where 26 schoolgirls were abducted last week.

A top source disclosed that all soldiers previously deployed to the school had been summoned to Abuja for interrogation as authorities seek to determine why the security post was vacated shortly before the attack.

A senior government official confirmed that the Kebbi State Government was awaiting clarification from Abuja, particularly regarding who authorised the withdrawal.

“The military personnel stationed at the school have been summoned to Abuja for interrogation. They were invited by the Defence Headquarters on Monday. We are following the matter closely,” the official said.

He added that the state government was monitoring the investigation.

“I don’t have all the details, but I learnt on Monday from colleagues in the army that the soldiers have reported to headquarters. All the security heads are unhappy with what happened in Kebbi and Niger. But the investigation is ongoing,” he said.

Another high-ranking military official, who was not authorised to speak publicly, confirmed that the probe had been expanded to include every personnel attached to the school.

“The military hierarchy is investigating the matter, and everyone connected to the school will be questioned to determine what went wrong. Anyone found culpable will definitely face consequences,” he said.

When contacted, the Chief Press Secretary to the Kebbi State Governor, Ahmed Idris, stated that the state government was not directly involved in the interrogation.

“The Defence Headquarters is handling the investigation, so we are not privy to the details. However, we expect to know the outcome and we trust that the military will take appropriate action,” he said.

According to Politics Nigeria’s earlier report, Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, had raised alarm over what he described as the “withdrawal of military personnel” from the school shortly before the bandits stormed the premises and abducted several students.

The governor described the incident as particularly troubling because the state had earlier received intelligence warning of a possible attack and had immediately convened a security meeting in response.

Governor Idris said the state had insisted on a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding the withdrawal.