Naijaonpoint.com.ng

DHQ Summons, Grills Soldiers Over Withdrawal From Kebbi School

Defence HQ

Troops earlier deployed to Government Girls’ Comprehensive Senior Secondary School, Maga, are now under interrogation at the Defence Headquarters, days after terrorists abducted 26 schoolgirls from the institution.

A senior government official, privy to the investigation, confirmed to Punch that the military command had commenced a probe into the sudden withdrawal of soldiers from the school shortly before the attack.

Naijaonpoint understands that the attack occurred on November 17 when terrorists stormed the school, killing Vice Principal, Malam Hassan Makuku, before whisking away 26 students.

Two of the abducted girls later escaped from their captors, reducing the number still held in the forests to 24.

Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, reacting to the abduction, called for a probe into the sudden withdrawal of the military personnel from the school.

Speaking after a closed-door meeting in Jos with the Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, the governor said Kebbi had earlier shared credible security warnings with the military authorities, including alerts forecasting the likelihood of an assault on the school.

He said security operatives were deployed in response to the intelligence, questioning why they were withdrawn shortly before the attack.

The senior government official, who spoke with Punch, said Kebbi is awaiting the outcome of the military investigation into who ordered the personnel to leave the school premises before the attack.

He said, “The military personnel who were stationed at the school have been summoned to Abuja for interrogation. They were summoned by the Defence Headquarters on Monday. We are following the case.”

The official noted that the troops were from the Army Barracks in Zuru.

A credible security source also confirmed that the personnel had been summoned to the Defence Headquarters.

“I don’t have all the details, but I learnt on Monday from colleagues in the army that the soldiers have reported to the headquarters. All the security heads are happy with what happened in Kebbi and Niger. Neither the soldiers nor the police did well. But the investigation is ongoing,” he said.

A top military official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to comment, said the investigation was ongoing.

“The military hierarchy is investigating the matter, and everyone attached to the school will be asked one or two questions to determine what went wrong. Anyone found culpable will definitely be brought to book,” he said.

Another military source added, “It’s not unlikely that the troops have been summoned in connection with the incident, but the matter is still under probe.”


© 2025 Naijaonpoint, a division of NOP Media Inc. Contact us via [email protected]

Exit mobile version