Connect with us

Nigeria Newspapers

Dowen College death: Deceased student’s father berates school owner

Published

on

8c4a06f2 963330 fb img 1638595874246 750x375 1

By Gabriel Dike, Femi Folaranmi,

Yenagoa, Ben Dunno, Warri

Mr. Sylvester Oromoni, father of Sylvester Oromoni Jnr, the deceased 12-year-old JSS2 student of Dowen College, Lekki, Lagos, alleged to have been killed by his unidentified colleagues, yesterday, berated the insensitive attitude of the school, describing it as callous.

Advertisement

Breaking News, Nigerians can now work in Nigeria and get paid in US Dollars Click here to apply today .

Oromoni, who spoke in tears in his Warri home as he mourned his son, whose birthday was yesterday, December 4, insisted that it was only fitting for the school owners to commiserate with his family following their loss. 

This is coming as the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, directed the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in charge of Maroko, CSP Ganiyu Raji, to investigate the lad’s death following a demand for justice for the boy by the Ijaw Youth Council (IYC).

Advertisement

Oromoni lamented that apart from the principal and the former teacher of the deceased who called to check on him before the passed on, nothing had been heard from the real owners of the school.

According to him, “it is quite painful that up till now, the school owner(s) has not come out to sympathise with my family over my son’s death.

“I’m not talking about the workers now, but the school proprietors, or are they saying that the death of my son is not enough to commiserate with my family, he asked.

Oromoni, however, commended the Lagos State government for its quick response to the matter, adding that its action had clearly demonstrated that Lagos will always stand for peace and justice no matter whose ox is gored.

Advertisement

“I’m aware that the school has been closed down by the state government. And that to me is a right step in the right direction. But we are not stopping there. We seek full investigations into the matter and we want justice served at the end of the day”, he said.

The state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), CSP Adekunle Ajisebutu confirmed that Sylvester’s case was under investigation, adding: “Just give us some time; the CP will make the outcome of the investigation public. You know his death is now a national issue. The CP will talk about the update soon.”

Earlier, the college principal, Mrs. Adebisi Layiwola, in a statement debunked the insinuation that Sylvester died from beating received from some students. She said the boy rather died of injuries he sustained while playing football.

In her reaction, the Lagos State Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Folasade Adefiayo, said the case was a criminal matter, adding that the appropriate agency was handling it.

Advertisement

Adefiayo said: “I have never heard where a ministry investigates criminal case. We have referred the incident to the appropriate quarters to do the needful.”

IYC said it had watched with awe and shock the circumstances surrounding the death of the Junior Oromoni and commended Nigerians for the solidarity shown against the dastardly manner that led to his death.

In a statement signed by its spokesman, Ebilade Ekerefe, IYC declared that the justice it wanted was to bring those involved in the boy’s death to book, while calling for the arrest of the management of the school and suspension of its operating licence.

“Late Sylvester Oromoni Jnr is a son of Ijaw land from Ogbeh-Ijoh area of

Advertisement

Warri South-West Local Government of Delta State. The circumstances that led to his death are indeed irksome to all Nigerians of good conscience who have displayed tremendous solidarity in the condemnation of evil.

“We also call for the arrest of the

Principal of the school, students mentioned, and staff involved in the alleged attempt to change the narrative that led to the death.

100% Natural Herbs to Finally End Premature Ejaculation and Weak Erection. Click here .

Advertisement

Nigeria Newspapers

John Abebe’s forgery trial adjourned

Published

on

1642557963 06261ce6 allpapers

The trial of John Warimeme Abebe before Justice Mojisola Dada of the Special Offences Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos has been adjourned till April 13, 2022 for the adoption of written addresses.

Justice Mojisola Dada gave the new date at the continuation of trial on Tuesday, January 18, 2022, with the defence closing its case.

Advertisement

Abebe, ex- President Obasanjo’s in-law was first arraigned on July 26, 2018 on a four-count charge bordering on forgery, fabricating evidence, using fabricated evidence and attempt to pervert the course of justice by the Economic and Financial Crimes, EFCC.

One of the counts reads: “That you, Dr. John Warimeme Abebe, on or about the 22nd day of June, 2010 in Lagos, within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, knowingly forged BP Exploration Nigeria Limited’s letter dated 30th November, 1995 to Inducon (Nigeria) Limited by inserting in page 2 of the said letter the following words: “Also note that the ‘Buy-Out Option’ only applies to the pre-production stage of the NPIA. The $4m buy-out is thus irrelevant from production of oil in any of our fields” and purported same to have been issued by BP Exploration Nigeria Limited and committed an offence contrary to Section 467 of the Criminal Code Cap C17, Law of Lagos State of Nigeria 2003.”

Another count reads: “That you, Dr. John Warimeme Abebe, on or about the 22nd day of June, 2010 in Lagos, within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, knowingly used a fabricated evidence in Suit No. FHC/L/CS/224/2010 between Dr. John Abebe, Inducon Nigeria Limited and Statoil Nigeria Limited, before the Federal High Court, which evidence was admitted and marked exhibit BB in the said suit and committed an offence contrary to Section 120 (2) of the Criminal Code Cap C17, Law of Lagos State of Nigeria 2003.”

Advertisement

Abebe pleaded not guilty to the charges preferred against him.

Led in evidence by his counsel, E.D. Onyeke, the defendant had taken to the dock to defend himself.

He was also cross-examined by the prosecuting counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, who confronted him with several documents.

At today’s sitting, Onyeke told the Court that the defence was closing its case.

Advertisement

“We will be asking the Court for a date to file our written address,” he said.

Thereafter, Justice Dada adjourned till April 13, 2022 for “definitive adoption of written addresses”.

Continue Reading

Nigeria Newspapers

Bandits killed 300 persons, kidnapped 200 in Niger January attacks – Gov

Published

on

d6a7d201 1702959 niger gov sanni bello.fw

In the first two weeks of this month, Niger State communities were attacked by bandits at least 50 times, with over 300 persons killed and 200 kidnapped, including security personnel.

Governor Abubakar Bello disclosed this to State House correspondents on Tuesday after he met with the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, to brief him on the development.

The governor, who enumerated the series of attacks and their consequences on lives, blamed the low response time to the attacks on the lack of access roads to the affected communities.

Advertisement

He, however, expressed optimism that with the new measures being put in place, the security situation in the state would improve soon, adding that contiguous states must work together to stop terrorists from moving from one region to another.

Bello stated, “This afternoon, I came to visit Mr President to give him an update on the security situation in Niger State concerning banditry activities, kidnapping and cattle rustling, among others. We were able to review some of the invasions in the state. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you all.

“In the last few days, there have been a lot of activities in Niger State. Hopefully, in the next few weeks, we will see some relief with regard to banditry. I also gave a highlight on some of the challenges. Of course, our size is a disadvantage, almost nine million hectares. We lost some forests.

Advertisement

“In January this year alone, we suffered not less than 50 reported attacks and loss of lives between January 1 and 17. Within the same period, no fewer than 300 communities were invaded by bandits. The number of people kidnapped is 200, including three Chinese nationals.”

Continue Reading