The Federal Capital Territory Administration on Monday demolished suspected criminals’ hideout around the popular Crush Rock, Mpape, Abuja.
The site, according to the FCTA, was one of the tourist sites already identified by the territory and was receiving the attention of private investors.
But the activities of the hoodlums were scaring away tourists.
Speaking after the demolition, the Senior Special Assistant to FCT Minister on Monitoring, Inspection and Enforcement, Ikharo Attah, said the exercise was to ensure the safety of tourists during this yuletide and the holidays.
Attah said, “Coming back to Mpape today is to achieve two things, to clear the road which is already getting congested and to dislodge the hoodlums in this tourism site, which has been a problem.
“Looking around here, you will see the activities of scavengers and hoodlums, making tourism activities here very difficult. We have cleared here before and these hoodlums left, but unfortunately, they are regrouping. The hoodlums have been snatching peoples bags and making them pay a certain amount.
“Many tourists had been harassed and molested by hoodlums at the site, including one of the media aides to the Deputy Senate President, Lara Wise, the administration cannot watch while criminal elements continue their terror reign.
“Even the Divisional Police Officer in Mpape, CSP Adamu Faisa, had earlier called for the dislodgement of the hoodlums. The clean up we have done today would ensure the safety of tourists who would be coming here during this yuletide and the holidays.”
Attah, while warning indigenous people and other residents in Mpape, who were rebuilding the demolished illegal structures, noted that the administration will not relent in sustaining the operations.
He stated that the two Ministers of the FCT were working hard to commence construction of the Mpape Road projects, but residents have continued to distract attention by contravening development plans.
Akeredolu appoints chairmen, members for Ondo parastatals
The Ondo State Governor, Mr Rotimi Akeredolu, has approved the appointment of some members of the state All Progressives Congress to the state boards and parastatals.
The Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Richard Olatunde, made this known in a statement on Thursday.
According to the statement, a former speaker of the state House of Assembly, Victor Olabimtan, was appointed the Chairman of the State Universal Basic Education Board.
The governor equally approved the appointment of Sam Erejuwa as the Chairman of the Ondo State Oil Producing Area Development Commission .
Similarly, Olajide Akinroluyo has been appointed as the chairman of the Pool Betting and Lotteries Board.
“The appointments take immediate effect,” the statement read.
The statement also noted that the governor has approved the appointment of Rafiu Akinkuolie as member of the Judicial Service Commission. His name has been forwarded to the Ondo State House of Assembly for screening.
Akeredolu congratulated the new appointees and charged them to justify the confidence reposed in them by performing excellently in their new offices.
Google appeals $2.8bn shopping fine at EU court
Google on Thursday appealed an EU court decision to uphold the bloc’s 2.4-billion-euro ($2.8-billion) fine for abusing its search engine dominance.
The tech giant said it would go to the European Court of Justice, the EU’s highest court, after the General Court confirmed in November a decision by the European Commission in 2017.
At the time, the fine was the European Union’s biggest ever. But it was later exceeded by a 4.3-billion-euro fine against Google over its Android smartphone operating system.
“After careful consideration, we have decided to appeal the General Court’s decision because we feel there are areas that require legal clarification from the European Court of Justice,” a short statement by the company said.
The case centres on Google’s shopping service and is one of three against the search engine giant currently moving through the EU’s drawn-out appeals system.
The new appeal could take up to two years to reach an outcome, stretching the case out to well more than a decade after the commission launched its investigation in 2010.
The court confirmation on Google Shopping was a win for the EU’s anti-trust supremo Margrethe Vestager, who burst onto the scene in Brussels by scrapping her predecessor’s more conciliatory approach to the US internet giant.
Vestager had lost in the same court in a different major case, against Apple and Ireland, in which her teams had ordered the iPhone maker to repay 13 billion euros plus interest to the Irish taxpayer. The EU has appealed that ruling.
The fine for Google came after seven years of investigation launched by complaints from other price-comparison services that saw traffic plummet against Google Shopping.