Connect with us

Nigeria Newspapers

Federal lawmaker, Obidigwe files N4bn suit over alleged arrest with arms, ammunition

Published

on

429d25ce 978818 chief chinedu obidigwe 1000x600 1

By Romanus Okoye

The member representing Anambra East and West Constituency at the Federal House of Representatives, Chief Chinedu Obidigwe has filled a N4billion suit against Folio Communications Plc, the publishers of Daily Times Newspapers over alleged defamatory publication.

The Writ of Summons, entered as Suit No: OT/191/2021 was filed on the December 10, 2021 at the Registry of Anambra State High Court, Otuocha.

Advertisement

Breaking News, Nigerians can now work in Nigeria and get paid in US Dollars Click here to apply today .

The cause of action in the suit according to the plaintiff was that in October 2021 in the heat of attacks by unknown gunmen in Anambra State, the newspaper published a report, alleging that Obidigwe, the plaintiff and his convoy were intercepted with arms and ammunition by a combined team of the Police and the Military. It was further reported that the lawmaker was arrested and taken into custody by the Police.

However, the Zone 13 Command of the Nigeria Police issued a press release statimg that no such interception of was made. According to the Police, Obidigwe was neither arrested by its men nor detained in its command as alleged.

Advertisement

Daily Sun learnt that Obidigwe had earlier written to the Daily Times to retract the publication and tender an apology but that it was not done. Thus, the lawmaker had to institute an action through his team of lawyers led by O.L. Udemezue.

In the suit, Obidigwe demanded N4billion, being general aggregated and exemplary damages for an alleged defamatory content generated and published by the defendant against him.

He also prayed for an order compelling the defendant to retract in writing, all the said defamatory statements and publish same in two national newspapers including the defendant’s medium wherein the alleged defamatory statements were made.

“An order of perpetual injunction restraining the defendant from further defamatory publication against the plaintiff was also sought.”

Advertisement

In the suit, he contended that the publications have dented his reputation and people who before now held him in high esteem have lost confidence in him and now avoid him.

“The defamatory publication of the defendant has now cast a cloud on all the plaintiff’s good will and damaged his reputation as a representative of the Omambala people, ardent Christian and a philanthropist, a mentor of the youths, the husband of his wife, father of his children and above all a respectable and responsible citizen of Nigeria”, the statement of claims, stated.

No date has been fixed for its hearing.

Displaying The venue of the meeting after the attack..jpg.

Advertisement

100% Natural Herbs to Finally End Premature Ejaculation and Weak Erection. Click here .

Nigeria Newspapers

Google appeals $2.8bn shopping fine at EU court

Published

on

652ed58e 1709236 google alphabeta 1000x600 1

Google on Thursday appealed an EU court decision to uphold the bloc’s 2.4-billion-euro ($2.8-billion) fine for abusing its search engine dominance.

The tech giant said it would go to the European Court of Justice, the EU’s highest court, after the General Court confirmed in November a decision by the European Commission in 2017.

At the time, the fine was the European Union’s biggest ever. But it was later exceeded by a 4.3-billion-euro fine against Google over its Android smartphone operating system.

Advertisement

“After careful consideration, we have decided to appeal the General Court’s decision because we feel there are areas that require legal clarification from the European Court of Justice,” a short statement by the company said.

The case centres on Google’s shopping service and is one of three against the search engine giant currently moving through the EU’s drawn-out appeals system.

Read Also

The new appeal could take up to two years to reach an outcome, stretching the case out to well more than a decade after the commission launched its investigation in 2010.

Advertisement

The court confirmation on Google Shopping was a win for the EU’s anti-trust supremo Margrethe Vestager, who burst onto the scene in Brussels by scrapping her predecessor’s more conciliatory approach to the US internet giant.

Vestager had lost in the same court in a different major case, against Apple and Ireland, in which her teams had ordered the iPhone maker to repay 13 billion euros plus interest to the Irish taxpayer. The EU has appealed that ruling.

The fine for Google came after seven years of investigation launched by complaints from other price-comparison services that saw traffic plummet against Google Shopping.

AFP

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Nigeria Newspapers

NSCDC busts recharge card specialist fraudsters in Osun

Published

on

28689f84 1608208 herbalist2 636x477 1.webp

By Olajide Idowu

Advertisement

Two suspects, Adeyemo Mufutau, 26, and Oladiji Hezekiah, 27, have been arrested in Osogbo, Osun State for engaging in use of recharge cards to dupe people while pretending to be herbalists.

The suspects were arrested by operatives of Osun Command of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).

While parading the suspect, Osun NSCDC Commandant, Mr Emmanuel Ocheja, explained how the herbalists initiated their fraudulent activities by calling members of the public on their phones, and pretending as old men/herbalists to defraud them.

Advertisement

“They will send fake recharge cards to people, and then call the receiver that the person should help return the cards, and afterwards introduce one ‘baba’ ( an old man)/ or a herbalist as the person intending to send the recharge cards to his son.

“They will say the ‘baba’ wants to specially thank anybody who sends the recharge cards back to them.

“During the process, the suspects would introduce themselves as old men/herbalists who wanted to reciprocate the kind gesture of those that had sent back the recharge cards to them.

”The suspects would say they wanted to help solve the problems of their unsuspecting members of the public ,” he said.

Advertisement

The commandant added that the suspects had confessed to the crime and would be charged to court.

Similarly, Ocheja said that two other suspects were arrested on Monday at a mining site within Ita Obi Community of Ilesa, for mining illegally while three others were also arrested on Wednesdsy for dealing illegally in petroleum products.

He said one Zainab Afeez was also arrested for allegedly assaulting and pouring hot water on her 11-year old biological daughter, while one Abdulrahman Ibrahim was arrested in connection with a stolen Toyota Camry, 1999 model, in Osogbo but recovered in Kano.

Ocheja said that all the suspects would be charged to court after the completion of investigations into their matters. (NAN) (www.nannews.ng)

Advertisement

Continue Reading