Four young men accused by Erie police of involvement in the fatal shooting of 7-year-old Antonio Yarger Jr. in a neighborhood in the east of the city in April, each are now charged with murder in the case.
The Erie Police Department recently dropped charges against 17-year-old Abbas K. Al-Harbi and 20-year-old Yussuf M. Hassan, on a felony count of conspiracy to commit murder, and has dropped charges against the two resubmitted for a count of criminal murder.
More:Two more suspects charged with murder of Erie boy; police say another person was targeted
Al-Harbi and Hassan, who had each been in custody on $150,000 bail after being charged with the initial charges on July 19, are now being held without bail following their charges against the new charges.
Yassin A. Ibrahim, 20, and Abdullah O. Ismael, 17, are also charged with criminal murder and related charges in Antonio’s death. All four will appear in court on August 25 for their preliminary hearings.
Prosecutors said Thursday that the re-filing of charges against Al-Harbi and Hassan reflects their intention to charge all four suspects with manslaughter in the deadly April 14 shooting. The police first charged Ibrahim and Ismael in the case at the end of April.
The charges of receiving stolen property were also dropped last week against Hassan and Ibrahim in a separate case involving a stolen sports-utility vehicle that investigators said was used in the deadly shooting. Those charges, filed a week after Antonio was shot, were the first indication that investigators were approaching possible suspects in the murder.
In deciding to drop charges received for stolen property, Assistant District Attorney Jeremy Lightner said on Thursday that after solving the murder with the filing of charges against the four suspects, prosecutors thought it appropriate to draw their attention. to target the murder and not the receiving stolen goods. ownership portion of the business.
Antonio died on April 18 in Pittsburgh, four days after being shot in the head while walking with a group of children 13 and under on the corner of Downing Avenue and Fairmount Parkway. Authorities say the boy was an innocent victim.
Erie police accuse Ismael of shooting from the back seat of a Honda CR-V that Ibrahim told police he was driving through the neighborhood. Authorities say Al-Harbi and Hassan were in a Chevrolet Cruze driving the Honda on the east side of Erie before the Chevrolet pulled into Linwood Avenue as the Honda turned onto Fairmount Parkway and the shooting occurred.
More:17-year-old accused of murdering boy Erie was out on bail in another shooting
According to information revealed in the criminal charges against Al-Harbi and Hassan, the group had been at a gas station on Buffalo Road earlier in the day on April 14 when they saw a man they knew, and Ismael reportedly stated that he ” wanted to get”. The group was reportedly driving around looking for the man when the shooting took place, according to information in the complaints.
Authorities have not identified the man and it was not known whether that person was on Downing Avenue and Fairmount Parkway when Antonio was shot.
The Honda CR-V Ibrahim that admitted to driving when the shooting occurred was reported stolen by its owner in Millcreek Township on April 13, a day before Antonio was shot, according to the Erie and Millcreek Township Police Department.
Erie police found the Honda abandoned on an eastern Erie street on the morning of April 15, several blocks from the scene of the shooting. Investigators said the video clips they collected in the shooting investigation showed a Honda CR-V traveling through the area on April 14.
Hassan admitted to police in an April 20 interview that he had been in the Honda with three other people on April 14 and that Ibrahim was in control of the vehicle, according to information in the trial documents.
Hassan was charged with a felony who received a stolen property charge related to the stolen Honda on April 21 and was released on unsecured bond. Ibrahim was indicted on the same charges on April 26 and given a $100,000 bail.
Hassan and Ibrahim were due to appear in court for their preliminary hearings in the case on July 27, when the charges were dropped.
Contact Tim Hahn at [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @ETNhahn.
This article originally appeared on Erie Times-News: Four now face criminal murder in fatal shooting of 7-year-old in Erie