Ghanaian footballer, Mohammed Anas has been released by South African top-flight side TS Galaxy on the grounds of “carrying bad luck’.
Anas went viral in 2017 after he thanked his wife and girlfriend in a post-match interview. He, however, denied being unfaithful, saying, “My family knows that I call my daughter my girlfriend. That’s what I was talking about. I don’t have a girlfriend.”
According to South Africa’s Citizen News newspaper, some senior players of the Premier Soccer League (PSL) approached the club’s leadership that their current struggling status in the league table is because of the presence of Anas in the squad which led to the club’s decision to fire the Ghanaian star.
A source told Citizen News that the Galaxy players raised their concern about Anas having bad luck and transferring it to the whole team.
“Every team he’s played for here (in South Africa) has either dodged relegation by a whisker or got relegated. He was at Maritzburg and they merely survived relegation that season. He was at Free State Stars when they were relegated and the same happened at Polokwane City,” the source said.
“Last season he was with Black Leopards and the same thing happened. The players were worried that they are trying everything but the results are just not coming. He was quietly released by the club last week.”
The Ghanaian striker joined Free State Stars and they were relegated before he moved to Polokwane City where they suffered a similar fate. He then made a move to Black Leopards and they were also relegated.
Subsequently he transfered to TS Galaxy and this has now sparked concerns among the players that they would be relegated if the Ghanaian is not sacked.
This led to the decision of the management of the club to sack the Ghanaian star after agreeing with the players that Anas is carrying the bad luck that’s now spreading among the squad.
Sanwo-Olu suspends NURTW operations in Lagos Island over recent clash
The government of Lagos state has suspended operations of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) in Lagos Island over the recent clashes recorded in the area.
This was contained in a statement released on Tuesday by media aide to Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Jubril Gawat.
Gawat said the decision to suspend the union activities was reached at a stakeholders’ meeting attended by the NURTW, Central Business District (CBD) and Lagos State Market Women Association (Iya oloja general and iya oloja of Lagos Island).
Recall that there was a report on how factions of the union clashed over the control of motor parks in the area last week Thursday, leaving one person dead and several people injured.
The police command in the state on Monday arrested two principal suspects – Adekunle Lawal alias Kunle Poly, and Mustapha Adekunle, popularly known as Sego.
Lawal is the Lagos Island branch chairman of the NURTW, while Adekunle is the treasurer of the state council of the union.
According to the statement, Oluwatoyin Fayinka, special adviser to the governor on transportation, said the ban is to prevent further acts of violence at Idumota axis of the state.
Fayinka said operatives of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) will be stationed at strategic positions to ensure compliance with the ban and avoid further breakdown of peace.
“Lagos State Govt has suspended the operations of the Transport Union (NURTW) in Lagos Island, particularly on Church Street, Eyin Eyo, and Idumota bridge indefinitely due to the recent clashes that crippled activities in Idumota axis of the state,” the statement reads.
“Oluwatoyin Fayinka meted out the ban to prevent further acts of violence at Idumota, adding that the Lagos State Parks Monitoring Authority will resume at Eyin Eyo.
“Fayinka further stated that the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) will station an Armored Personnel Carrier (APC) on Idumota Bridge to deter motorists from driving against traffic in compliance with traffic rules and regulations and to enforce the suspension of the NURTW within the axis and simultaneously flush out the Oju Opake boys lurking along Plaza around Church Street axis.
“Also suspended are the activities of the transport union at Church Street and John Street, particularly Keke Marwa and Mini Buses (korope).”
Meanwhile, the leadership of the union has apologised to Sanwo-Olu over the incident and disassociated itself from the chaos.
Tajudeen Baruwa, NURTW president, said the union is in support of the ongoing probe into the matter and that any of its members found wanting will be punished.
ASUU gives N800, 000 bursary to Kaduna State University undergraduates
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Kaduna State University (KASU) chapter, Tuesday presented cheques of N100, 000 each to eight undergraduates of the institution.
KASU Chairman, Peter Adamu, at the presentation event said the union placed priority on education and human capacity development of youth.
He said the gesture would enable the beneficiaries pursue their studies without hitches.
The chairman called on indigent students to apply for scholarships whenever there were such opportunities.
He urged the beneficiaries to use the money for the purpose intended.
Shu’aibu Simon, a 400 level student of Pharmacy, who spoke on behalf other beneficiaries, thanked ASUU, assuring it that the money would be utilized judiciously.