adplus-dvertising
Connect with us

News

Governor Fayemi doles out N360 million to 24 communities

Published

on

Fayemi e1555964703785 1 scaled e1615917357568

The Ekiti State Governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, on Tuesday distributed cheques worth N360 million to 24 Communities in the state as part of efforts to cushion the effect of COVID-19 pandemic on the poor and vulnerable as well as ensure reduction of poverty to the barest minimum in the State.

Fayemi personally presented the cheques to representatives of the communities at the Government House, Ado-Ekiti.

He said the fund would focus on three specific result areas: education, healthcare services, water and sanitation.

The Governor stated that any government that is able to cover these three critical areas would have gone a long way at reducing poverty to its barest minimum, adding that the fund was in fulfilment of his promise and commitment to ensuring that every community in the State get a taste of the administration’s development agenda.

He said government was poised to continue to make meaningful impacts in the lives of the people.

According to the Governor, Ekiti State Covid Action Recovery and Economic Stimulus (Ekiti CARES) programme was the aftermath of how the State was looking at ways to alleviate the effect of COVID-19 pandemic on the socio-economic wellbeing of the people and support budgeted government intervention at the state level targeting existing and newly vulnerable and poor households like farmers, artisans and micro and small scale enterprises affected by the economic crises occasioned by the pandemic.

He stated that it was important to continue to invest in the people by promoting local ownership of projects, adding that when the people are allowed to build their own projects, they tend to also protect them because they see them as their own projects rather than government projects.

Fayemi urged all the community project management committees to be more active and accountable to their community as well as ensure that sustainable plans were put in place for the use and maintenance of the projects.

He also enjoined them to be more committed and selfless while discharging their assignments.

The Ekiti CARES intervention programme is an extension of the NG CARES, which is emergency programme aimed at supporting state level efforts to respond to and recover from the Covid-19 induced socio-economic crisis.

Fayemi said the NG CARES is an emergency intervention designed by the World Bank in collaboration with the Nigeria Governors’ Forum to support states in Nigeria to restore the livelihood of poor and vulnerable households and stabilise micro and small enterprises affected by the pandemic.

He said: “The Community Infrastructure Services for communities which have been the key delivery areas of Ekiti State Community and Social Development Agency (EKCSDA) for over ten years, has completed all the processes of facilitating 24 Communities/Group Development Projects amounting to about Three Hundred and Sixty Million Naira (N360,000,000) for the provision of infrastructural facilities in three result areas of Education, Healthcare Services; Water and Sanitation.

“This was made possible as a result of Five Hundred and Fifty Million Naira (N550,000,000) which was released in November last year by our administration as an advance to kick start the program in Ekiti State, which is why Ekiti is the only State as of today to achieve that feat out of the 36 States of the federation.

“This is not by happenstance but in fulfilment of our promise and commitment to ensuring that every community in Ekiti State has a taste of our developmental agenda.

“When you entrusted the management of the State’s Commonwealth in our care, I promised and assured you all that your welfare and wellbeing will be of paramount interest to this Administration.

“We are here today to further strengthen the bond and deliver on another promise we made to Ekiti-kete.

“It is necessary to state here that the Covid-19 pandemic practically affected the global economy and dealt a deadly blow to the socio-economic activities of the nations of the World, Nigeria inclusive.

“The developing and emerging market economies are the worst hit.

“The lockdown and strict measures put in place to contain the domestic spread of the deadly virus had a severe negative impact on the livelihoods and food security of Nigerians across the economic sectors.

“You all recall in our first term in office, one of the hallmark of this administration reside in the fact that there was no community where we did not implement local projects.

“These were projects designed by the communities, funded by government but contracted out by the communities.

“Monitored by the communities, and in almost every single case, it cost less to implement those projects than it cost us as a government to implement similar projects across the state.”

Projects to be implemented by these communities includes construction/ renovation of Basic Health Centres, Blocks of Classrooms and provision of water from motorised Boreholes among others.

The event was attended by the Deputy Speaker, Ekiti State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Hakeem Jamiu; Acting Secretary to the State Government, Foluso Daramola; Head of Service, Peju Babafemi; Chief of Staff to the Governor, Biodun Omoleye; Chairman, Board of EKCSDA, Chief Biodun Akin-Fasael and traditional rulers of the benefiting communities among other dignitaries.

WATCH NOW

DOWNLOAD NOW

News

2023: Ondo PDP Reps aspirant, Akingbaso, optimistic of victory at primary, general election

Published

on

Festus Akingbaso

A House of Representatives aspirant on the platform of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ondo State, Hon. Festus Akingbaso, has said only credible primary elections will make the party emerge victorious in the 2023 election.

Akingbaso who is eyeing the Idanre/Ifedore federal constituency stated this while speaking with newsmen and expressed optimism about emerging as the party candidate in the party’s primary coming up on Sunday.

Akingbaso, the current member of the state House of Assembly representing Idanre said he decided to vie for the higher elective position in order to facilitate projects that would impact the people’s lives and to deliver the dividends of democracy to the doorsteps of the people of the constituency.

According to him, the federal constituency has not experienced a federal presence adequately like other constituencies and stressed the need to ensure quality representation in the National Assembly to solve many of the problems facing the area.

The former chairman of Idanre local government said: “when it comes to my chances of getting the ticket, I believe that I don’t have any problem. I have a very bright chance to emerge the winner in the primaries based on my antecedent.

“With what I have been doing ever since I got to the Ondo State House of Assembly, I believe that will speak well for me. My constituents can as well testify to it and I’m not going to stop it there.

“During my tenure as Chairman of Idanre Local Government, they supported me enormously and now as a legislator representing Idanre State Constituency. If I get to the House of Representatives, definitely, I will perform better.

“When I came in as a member of House of Assembly through the opposition party, many did not expect that, as an opposition member, I will be able to do anything by bringing dividend of democracy to them but I performed to their admiration. So, if I have the opportunity now to move forward to the federal level, the two local governments in the federal constituency will benefit immensely.”

The PDP House of representatives aspirant urged the party’s delegates to vote in line with the background of the aspirants for the benefit of the constituency.

He said: “The delegates should know who is who and do a background check on who they can entrust with the votes for the benefits of the entire constituency.”

IN CASE YOU MISSED THESE FROM NAIJAONPOINT.COM.NG

WATCH NOW

DOWNLOAD NOW

Continue Reading

News

Don’t compromise your platforms for ‘IPOB provocation, FG warns Facebook, other social media

Published

on

Social Media

The Federal Government (FG) has urged Facebook and other social media platforms not to compromise their platforms to the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) to incite violence and ethnic hatred.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, made the plea in Abuja Tuesday at a meeting with a team from Facebook.

Mohammed, in a statement by his media aide, Segun Adeyemi, said since IPOB had been proscribed and classified as a terrorist organization, Facebook has no justification to continue allowing the organization use of it’s platform to further its campaign of hate and destabilisation of the country.

He said: “I have called this meeting to enable us to discuss the increasing use of Facebook by separatists and anarchists, especially those of them based outside the country, to instigate violence and ethnic hatred in Nigeria.

“For whatever reason, they seem to have now chosen Facebook as their platform of choice. And their tools include disinformation, incendiary statements and hate speech. They use Facebook broadcasts to reach their followers, who are in thousands. They tag those opposed to their violent ways as ‘saboteurs’ who must be attacked, maimed and killed. They use both English and their local language as it suits them.”

He said the actions of the proscribed group have real-life implications, adding: ”By purveying hate and inciting violence, people are getting killed while private and public property are being attacked and destroyed. Security agencies and other symbols of government are their choice targets.”

The Minister said despite the numerous complaints to Facebook about the activities of IPOB, nothing has been done by the company to curtail the group’s excesses on the social media platform.

“Our social media people have been monitoring these separatists, anarchists and purveyors of hate, and have been reporting their atrocious actions to Facebook, but all they get are default responses that their complaints have been received and are being looked into.

“Most often than not, nothing is done about such complaints. The truth is that whatever Facebook is doing to check these people is mere tokenism and is totally ineffective,” he said.

Mohammed said the government would be monitoring Facebook and other platforms closely in the days ahead to ensure compliance with the demand as it steps up the campaign for the responsible use of social media.

WATCH NOW

DOWNLOAD NOW

Continue Reading