MTN, Airtel, and 9mobile has fully introduced eSIM, also known as embedded SIM. it allows people to store multiple profiles on a single device, effectively having two or more numbers, and switch between them at ease.
eSIM replaces the traditional physical plastic SIM card for compatible devices and brings a whole new spectrum of benefits and possibilities.
How to activate an eSIM:
To activate an eSIM, you need to first have a compatible phone. Currently, eSIM-enabled phones are still limited. However, a number of the latest devices from the top mobile manufacturers are built with this capability.
The activation of eSIM on the networks of MTN, 9mobile and Airtel follows a similar pattern:
- To activate an eSIM on MTN, you must visit any MTN store. The company’s customer care agents will check your device for eligibility and walk you through the setup process.
- For 9mobile, the customer is also expected to walk into select 9Mobile Experience Centres and request an eSIM activation. A QR code will be provided to scan and download an eSIM profile and perform the usual SIM registration.
- Airtel also requires you to visit any of its Service Centres where the customer care agents will walk you through the process of setting up your eSIM.
Compatible eSIM enabled Devices:
- Apple iPhone XS and newer models
- Samsung Galaxy S-series from S20
- Samsung Galaxy Note series from Note20
- Google Pixel 2 and more recent models
- Samsung Galaxy Z and Galaxy Fold devices
Note that an eSIM also requires a registration like the physical SIM. Also, a subscriber can convert his or her current physical SIM to an eSIM and vice versa.