How to Correct and Update National Identity Number (NIN) Details: Step-by-Step Guide
Discover the process of correcting and updating your National Identity Number (NIN) details in Nigeria. Find out the reasons for modification, required documents, cost, and step-by-step procedure for a seamless experience.
The federal government has introduced a streamlined process for correcting and updating details on the National Identity Number (NIN). Whether you need to modify your marital status, correct an unintentional mistake, update personal information, or make changes due to a change in address, phone number, education level, or job, this guide will walk you through the process. Ensure a hassle-free experience by following the step-by-step instructions below.
National Identity Number update,
NIMC data modification,
NIN details correction process,
Correcting NIN information,
Update NIN documents,
Changing NIN data,
NIN modification requirements,
NIN data correction cost,
Step-by-step NIN update guide,
Reasons for Modifying Your NIN Data:
- Marital status update
- Correction of unintentional mistakes
- Name spelling correction
- Change of address
- Update of phone number
- Modification of education level
- Change of job details
Important Documents Needed for Updating Your Data: To update your NIN data, prepare the following documents:
- Original copy of the initial NIN slip
- Printout of the Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) Number as proof of payment
- Application letter stating the desired change, signed by you
Specific Documents for Certain Modifications: For Change of Name:
- Sworn Affidavit
- Newspaper Extract
- Marriage Certificate (for married ladies)
For Change of Address:
- Utility Bill
- Tenancy Agreement
- Bank Statement
- Community leader Attestation
For Change of Phone Number:
For Change of Education Level or Job:
- Recent Certificate or Offer Letter from your employer respectively
Cost for NIN Data Modification:
- Changing Name: N500 (on NIMC official portal)
- Correcting Date of Birth: N15,000
Process of Data Modification: Follow these steps to modify your NIN data:
- Visit the nearest NIMC office with the required documents, including the Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) Number printout.
- Request a data modification form and complete it accurately.
- Submit the form along with the supporting documents to an enrolment officer for verification.
- The enrolment officer will enter your information into the NIMC Software and request you to review the details for accuracy.
- Your biometrics will be captured for authentication.
- A Transaction ID Slip will be printed and provided to you.
- Surrender your old NIN Slip to the NIMC office.
- The NIMC office will notify you of when to return for your new NIN slip.
Ensure a smooth process by adhering to the instructions and providing accurate information during the data modification process.
Note: All procedures are carried out in English (US) language.
Frequently Asked Question about correcting and updating National Identity Number (NIN) details:
- Q: Why would I need to modify my NIN data? A: There are various reasons for modifying NIN data, such as changes in marital status, correcting mistakes, updating personal information like name or address, or changes in phone number, education level, or job details.
- Q: What documents do I need for updating my NIN data? A: The required documents include the original NIN slip, printout of the Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) Number, application letter for the desired change, and specific documents depending on the modification (e.g., sworn affidavit, utility bills, police report).
- Q: How much does it cost to modify NIN data? A: Changing your name on the NIN costs N500, while correcting the date of birth is priced at N15,000.
- Q: Where do I go to modify my NIN data? A: Visit the nearest NIMC office to initiate the data modification process. Ensure you have the required documents with you.
- Q: What is the process for modifying NIN data? A: The process involves filling out a data modification form, submitting it along with the required documents, verifying the information with an enrollment officer, capturing biometrics, and receiving a Transaction ID Slip. You will also need to surrender your old NIN slip.
- Q: How long does it take to receive the new NIN slip? A: The NIMC office will inform you of the designated time to return for your new NIN slip once the data modification process is complete.
- Q: Can I modify my NIN data online? A: Currently, the NIN data modification process is primarily carried out at NIMC offices. Check the official NIMC portal for any online modification options.
- Q: What should I do if I encounter issues or errors during the data modification process? A: If you experience any problems or errors, consult with the enrollment officer or seek assistance from the NIMC office staff for guidance and support.
Source : Naijaonpoint Media