Minecraft mobs, friendly or hostile, almost all provide players with items for crafting. Obtaining those items may require a benign tool e.g. a pair of scissors to shear sheep and get wool to make carpets and a bed or it may require violence i.e., killing a cow if you feel like having steak for dinner.
Tame a fox in Minecraft
Fox are friendly mobs added recently to Minecraft and come in Red and White variations. They start out passive i.e., they will not attack a player but they can be tamed. They carry items and will drop them if you kill a fox however, it’s better to tame a fox than to kill it.
How to tame a fox in Minecraft
‘Taming’ a fox isn’t the same as taming an ocelot or a wolf. It doesn’t act as a pet however, it will start trusting you. To tame a fox i.e., gain it’s trust, you need to find one that’s a baby.
Baby fox are rare so your best chance at getting a tamed fox is to encourage two fox to breed. This is difficult because fox are skittish around players and they tend to be fast (much like ocelots).
To encourage breeding, you need sweet berry. Sweet berry is found in the taiga biome in the form of bushes. Break a bush and you’ll get sweet berry from it. The sweet berry bush will damage a player if they walk into it and that’s an easy way to identify it.
Breed a baby fox
To breed a baby fox, get as many sweet berries as you can find. Fox are found in the taiga biome so you won’t have to go far to find the berries and the fox.
- Find at least 2 fox.
- The fox should be near each other.
- Feed the fox sweet berries (right-click/place item action).
- Continue feeding the fox until you see hearts appear.
- The fox will breed and you will get a baby fox.
- The baby fox will be tame.
Weaning the baby fox
The baby fox will want to stay with its parents or other fox. You can prevent this using one of two methods; you can Bambi the baby fox’s parents and all other fox nearby, or you can put the baby fox on a leash i.e. lead.
The lead method is far more humane. To create a lead, you need;
String can be obtained by: breaking cobwebs. Cobwebs are found in mineshafts.
Slimeball can be obtained by: Killing the Slime mob.
Crafting a lead
To craft a lead;
- Open the crafting table.
- Place one string in the first cell of the first and second row.
- Place one string in the second cell of the first row.
- Place one string in the last cell of the third row.
- Place the slimeball in the center cell i.e. the second cell in the second row.
- Lead will be crafted.
Place lead around baby fox
To place the lead around a baby fox;
- Select the lead so that you’re ‘holding’ it.
- Right-click/place action on the baby fox.
- Walk away with your baby fox and wait for it to grow.
- Feed the fox regularly.
You are now a fox parent. Fox can pick up items, will attack chickens, fish, rabbits, and baby turtles. Baby fox cannot swim. They will sleep if its dark. A tamed fox will attack zombies, skeletons, phantoms, spiders, and endermen.