Apple is not in the video conferencing niche but it has, for the longest time, owned one of the best video calling solutions; FaceTime. In the past two years, video conferencing tools have seen a steep rise in their user base and possibly, it’s something that caught Apple’s attention. With macOS Monterey and iOS 15, FaceTime has ‘opened up’ a bit and users on non-Apple devices can now join a FaceTime call.
FaceTime Share screen iOS 15
FaceTime now has a screen sharing feature on iOS. It allows users to share their home screen or any other app that is installed on the device. The feature is exclusive to iOS 15; FaceTime on older iOS versions will not be able to share a screen and will not be able to see a shared screen.
iOS 15: FaceTime Share screen
To share your screen in a FaceTime call on your iPhone, follow these steps.
- Start a FaceTime call: this can be an adhoc call or a call that you generated a link for.
- Once the call starts, and at least one person has joined it, tap the share screen button at the right end of the buttons bar.
- Select the Share My Screen option.
- Screen sharing will start.
- Swipe up to exit the FaceTime app.
- The FaceTime call will continue in Picture in Picture mode and your screen will be visible to everyone in the call
To end screen sharing;
- Tap the FaceTime picture in picture thumbnail to return to the FaceTime call.
- Tap the screen share button.
You will get a countdown form 3 before screen sharing begins so in case you tapped the option by mistake, you have three seconds to cancel it. To cancel screen sharing before it begins, tap the button as it is counting down. If you choose to share your screen during a FaceTime call, your camera will be turned off automatically and you cannot turn it on until after you’ve stopped sharing the screen.
Screen sharing has been added as a feature in FaceTime on macOS Monterey as well. Anyone and everyone in a FaceTime call, regardless if they are joining from an Apple or non-Apple device, will be able to see the shared screen. If you initiate a FaceTime call from a Mac, and it has been upgraded to macOS 12.0.1 or later, you will be able to share your desktop screen as well. The feature doesn’t really put Apple on par with Zoom, Microsoft Teams, or Google Meet but if your workplace is locked into the whole Apple eco-system, it’s a neat little addition to have.
How to force restart your iPhone 13 Pro
When the iPhone was first released, it changed how phones were designed. Instead of entire keyboards or multiple hard buttons, the design worked with a single Home button. There were, and continue to be, hard buttons on the side but over the years, the Home button too has been retired.
Force restart iPhone 13 Pro
The iPhone 13 Pro is the newest iPhone model (at present) and it as such, it has no Home button. In terms of design and the functionality of the buttons, they’ve changed quite a bit from the first iPhone to the iPhone 8 models. Up until that point, the side button on these iPhones could be used to restart an iPhone. It now activates Siri if it’s held down.
How to force restart iPhone 13 Pro
There are two ways to force restart an iPhone 13 Pro; you can go through the Settings app, or you can use the hard buttons on the side of your device.
Method 1: Settings app
The Settings app has a built-in option for restarting your iPhone. If the phone’s UI is responsive, this is the easiest method to restart an iPhone.
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to General.
- Scroll all the way down and tap Shut Down.
- Use the on-screen slider to power the iPhone off.
- Once the phone is off, press and hold the side button/Siri button to turn it on.
Method 2: Hard buttons
If you’re phone UI is not responsive, or it’s slowed down for whatever reason, you can use the hard buttons on the side of the device to restart it.
- Press the Volume up button and release it.
- Press the Volume down button and release it.
- Press and hold the side/Siri button until you see the power off slider.
- Use the power off slider to turn the phone off.
- Once the phone is off, press and hold the side/Siri button to turn it back on.
iPhones, or rather iOS does not have a restart option. You will always turn the iPhone off first, and then turn it on after. If you’ve been using an Android phone, you may be used to having a Restart option in the power menu but iOS does not follow the same approach. There are no other ways to trigger a phone shut down unless you allow the battery to drain completely. If you’re having trouble with your iPhone after taking it in for repairs, you may need to have it checked again. A force restart may be of little help. For now, it’s best to always take the device to Apple if you want to have something fixed.
How do I find my friends on Minecraft?
Minecraft was never big on needing an account to play it. Users needed to create a Mojang account to purchase the game but nothing beyond that. This changed after Microsoft bought Minecraft. You now need a Microsoft Live account to play Minecraft. The good news is, a Microsoft Live account works with Xbox’s services and its network of games and players.
Find friends on Minecraft
Minecraft is an open world game that you can play online with multiple players. You have the option to join any online server and there will be other players there. If you’d rather not play with strangers, you can always play with your friends. The trick is finding them and getting them all on the same server.
How to find friends on Minecraft
There are different ways to find your friends on Minecraft. If you’d like to go with the simplest route, you can simply share the server that you’re playing on and have them all join it. You won’t be ‘connected’ to your friends but you will all be on the same server where you can play together.
Find gamer tags
Before you can invite your friends to play Minecraft with you, you need to add them. Friends are added via a gamer tag. A gamer tag is obtained from the Xbox app. Anyone that plays Minecraft has a Microsoft Live account and by association, they have a game tag.
Ask your friends for their game tag. Once you have the tag, you can add it directly when you invite friends to play a Minecraft game or you can add them on the Xbox app (you don’t need to own an Xbox). You can get the app on your mobile device or on Windows 10.
Once you have the Xbox app, follow these steps.
- Open the Xbox app.
- Sign in with the same Microsoft account that you use to sign in on Minecraft.
- Go to the Social tab.
- Enter your friend’s gamer tag in the search bar.
- Select them from the results and click Follow.
- Have your friend follow you back.
- Once you’re mutually following each other, the other person will appear as a friend.
Add friends on Minecraft
- Open Minecraft.
- Select a world to play in.
- Once the world has loaded, go to world’s settings.
- On the right, click the Invite to game button.
- Select a friend from the list and send the invite.
If you haven’t added your friends on Xbox, but you have their gamer tag, you can invite them directly in Minecraft.
- Open Minecraft.
- Select a world to play in.
- Once the world has loaded, escape/exit to the game’s settings.
- Click the Invite to game button.
- Click Add friend.
- Enter your friend’s gamer tag.
- Send the invite.
Friends on Minecraft are connected via the Xbox network which you automatically join when you create a Microsoft Account. You will need to generate a gamer tag for yourself but that’s all you need. The gamer tag is essential for adding friends on Minecraft. You do not need to purchase Xbox related services.