Connect with us

Nigeria Newspapers

Jehovah’s Witnesses remember 100 years of preaching in Nigeria

Published

on

0bef0f89 986844 jehovahs witnesses

Jehovah’s Witnesses in Nigeria recently held two special events to mark its 100 years of Bible education work.

Advertisement

Olusegun Eroyemi of the Public Information Desk who disclosed this in a statement said that penultimate Sunday, all congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Nigeria were invited to view a special prerecorded programme featuring talks and interviews regarding the history of the preaching work in the country.

“The programme was streamed to viewers in the Efik, English, Igbo, Nigerian Sign Language, Pidgin, and Yoruba languages. Earlier, on Friday December 10, they opened a special museum exhibition at their branch office. The exhibition tape was cut by 91-year-old Albert Olih who has been preaching for nearly 74 years,” he said.

The exhibition entitled: “100 Years of Courage,” tells the exciting story of bold preaching and strong faith. It highlights that Witnesses in Nigeria demonstrated courage despite publication bans, public ridicule, and a brutal civil war. This history is brought to life through interactive audio and video elements and displays of original historical artifacts. Visitors will be able to watch the growth of the work in Nigeria, from December 1921, when a few interested people attended Bible study classes in Lagos, to modern times, as a crowd of over 400,000 Witnesses preach throughout the country, he added.

Advertisement

Nigeria Newspapers

Court remands grave digger for allegedly raping 11-year-old girl

Published

on

39df04b2 3665244 court 1000x600 1

A grave digger has been remanded at the Olokuta Correctional Centre in Ondo State for allegedly raping an 11-year-old girl.

Advertisement

The 32-year-old grave digger, Seun Owoyemi was remanded by an Akure Magistrates’ Court.

Owoyemi was said to have lured the victim with N100 before forcefully having her carnal knowledge.

The defendant who lived close to the parents of girl’s house at Igesa Street, Igbara-Oke, Ifedore Local Government Area of the State Ondo State, was said to have committed the offence in January 10, 2022.

Advertisement

According to the prosecutor, Inspector Niyi Taiwo, informed the court that the defendant had carnal knowledge of of the girl twice.

The prosecutor added that the offence contravene the Provisions of the Criminal Code, Cap. 37, Vol. 1 Laws of Ondo State.

He urged the court for an order to remand the defendant in the Correctional Centre pending advice from the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, DPP.

While pleading not guilty to the crime, the defendant denied the allegation, emphasising that it was a set up to implicate him by the victim and her grandmother.

Advertisement

In his ruling, the Magistrate, O.L. Abu, ordered that Owoyemi should be remanded at Olokuta Correctional Centre in Akure, the state capital.

The magistrate subsequently adjourned the case till February 28, 2021, after the prosecutor was directed to duplicate the case file and send to the DPP for advice.

Continue Reading

Nigeria Newspapers

Suspects arrested as hoodlums’ clash causes panic in Lagos

Published

on

67f6ba74 1712055 police

The Lagos State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of some suspects involved in the violent clashes that created tension in the Idumota and Oke Arin areas of the state.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Adekunle Ajisebutu, while reacting to the incident, said normalcy had been restored following a massive deployment of policemen in the areas.

He said, “Normalcy has since been restored following a massive deployment of policemen to the scene. Some arrests have also been made. Investigation has commenced.”

Advertisement

It was learnt that during the clash, traders and customers, residents and passersby scampered to safety to escape being hurt by the hoodlums engaging themselves in a supremacy clash.

The hoodlums were said to have taken advantage of the unrest to loot shops and rob people of their valuables.

Video clips of the clash trending online showed as people ran helter-skelter due to the tension created during the unrest.

Advertisement

Some victims were heard calling on the Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, to intervene for peace to reign.

Continue Reading