Naijaonpoint.com.ng

Kwara Govt Yet To Reunite 38 Eruku Church Abductees With Families

Bandits Attack Church In Eruku Kwara State Kill three Abduct Pastor Others

The Kwara State Government has not reunited the 38 freed church worshippers abducted from Christ Apostolic Church, Oke Isegun, in Eruku, with their families, days after their release.

Naijaonpoint understands that the worshippers, freed last Sunday after bandit captivity, were still being housed at an undisclosed hotel several days after undergoing medical examinations paid for by the state government.

Recall that on November 18, 38 worshippers were abducted during a thanksgiving service at the Eruku church by armed bandits.

The attack left three people shot dead, while one person sustained gunshot injuries during the attack.

After Kwara Governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, announced their release in a statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Rafiu Ajakaye, the worshippers were taken to Ilorin by government officials.

However, the statement did not explain where or how the abductees were freed.

While rumours of ransom payment spread online, Bayo Onanuga, the Special Adviser to the President Bola Tinubu on Information and Strategy, countered the narratives in a media statement, saying no ransom was paid.

He stated that the government did not pay ransom but instead merely negotiated with the bandits.

However, days after the announcement, the worshippers had still not been reunited with their families. Several relatives told Punch that they were becoming increasingly anxious over the delay.

A relative of one of the victims, who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said the community had expected the worshippers to return immediately after their release was announced.

He said, “The government told us they are taking care of them. We celebrated when they called us on Sunday to say they had been released. Everyone was dancing and thanking God. But since that day, they have yet to arrive in Eruku.

“We miss them and hope to be reunited soon. At least we know they are out of the kidnappers’ den, but delayed expectations weigh heavily on the heart.”

Another relative expressed similar concerns, noting that conflicting reports circulating within the community had compounded their worries.

“We are hearing different stories about their whereabouts. But at least we saw them in the news on Sunday with the government, and we have spoken with them on the phone. They told us they were safe. Seeing them again will gladden our hearts,” she said.

Asked whether the community contributed any money for the release of the worshippers, one relative insisted that no payment was made.

“We don’t know how they were freed or where. We only received calls from security officials on Sunday evening that our people had been released and were being taken to the Government House for medical attention,” he said.

A senior government source, who asked not to be named, confirmed to Saturday Punch that the victims were still undergoing medical and psychological evaluation in Ilorin.

The official said, “They went through trauma and a harrowing experience, especially the young ones and the elderly. The government is concerned about their welfare and wants to give them the best medical care before allowing them to return home.”

When asked whether ransom was paid to secure their release, the official replied in the negative.

The source said, “The government cannot pay money to bandits, as doing so will send the wrong signal that crime pays. It is unfortunate that we are in this situation.

“People should be commending the government for ensuring the abducted worshippers were freed unhurt. They will soon be reunited with their families.”


© 2025 Naijaonpoint, a division of NOP Media Inc. Contact us via [email protected]

Exit mobile version