Since 1979, we have helped people grappling with the toughest hardships survive – and then thrive. That’s the heart of our approach: We help communities turn crisis into opportunity.
Throughout our history, Mercy Corps has demonstrated innovation, timeliness and the ability to adapt quickly to changing realities.
Read more about this company
- Job Type Full Time
- Location Imo
- Job Field Driving
Program / Department Summary
The Driver will work within the Logistics department of the Operational Support structure, committed to providing reliable and compliant support to program activities in order to achieve efficient service to program beneficiaries.
General Position Summary
The driver will provide safe transportation services for the MC program and support staff in the AOR (Area of Responsibility). The driver will adhere to all traffic and MC safety rules and follow the transport guidelines required by the MC transport department.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Operate MC vehicles as assigned by supervisor.
Maintain vehicle log sheets in accordance with MC policies/regulations.
Check the vehicle conditions after each trip/routinely – report needs and problems to transport management.
Adhere to all safety and communication protocols as advised by Mercy Corps and supervisor.
Responsible for the safekeeping of all vehicle equipment, tools, first aid kits, spares etc.
Keep the vehicle ready, clean and on standby – ready for use at all times.
Assist, as required, with logistics in the office.
Cooperate and be of assistance to staff and visitors – assist in troubleshooting potential problems during daily business.
Report all maintenance needs of the vehicle to the operations lead within the office on a regular basis;
Undertake field assignments as assigned.
Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals.
Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in the country of operation.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Accountable for following Mercy Corps Manual, guidelines, policies and procedures; the Mercy Corps Code of Conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
Reports Directly To Operations Manager.
Works Directly With Assistant Operations Officer, other drivers. Coordinate with Mercy Corps program and operations staff in the office.
Knowledge and Experience
- At least a minimum of 2 years of experience working as a Driver (logistics or procurement), preferably within an NGO, international business, or related field.
- Candidate must have at least Professional certification in related technical coursework.
- Valid driver’s license and experience driving 4×4 vehicles.
- Must respect and adhere to all safety and traffic rules.
- Basic understanding of English and fluency in all local languages is required.
- Knowledge of routes, duty stations, project areas, and the NGO and diplomatic community is required.
The successful candidate will be capable of rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence. S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activity at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to team work and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
SAFEGUARDING & ETHICS
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to the Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
- Applicants should have their CVs and Cover Letters in one document not more than four (4) pages long, addressing the position requirements.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.
Method of Application
Be found by employers. Sign up and complete your profile.