Our Political Section is responsible for political relations between the UK and Nigerian Governments.
They monitor the political situation in Nigeria and seek to strengthen the bilateral relationship.
The Consular Section at the British Deputy High Commission in Lagos, and our consular network throughout the country, provide assistance to British natio…
Read more about this company
Senior Programme Manager and Chief of Operations, Governance and Stability Block
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Abuja
- Job Field Logistics  , Project Management
We are looking for an experienced programme and policy manager who is ready for a challenging next role, delivering one of FCDO Nigeria’s flagship programmes, and helping us to achieve best practice in programme management.
Key responsibilities are:
- Overall responsibility for the programme management of ongoing programmes under the Partnership to Engage, Reform and Learn (PERL) umbrella programme, and the setup of the Strengthening Peace and Resilience in Nigeria (SPRING) and Nigeria Governance and Climate Change Programme (NGCP) programmes.
- Working with Grade 6 team leaders, Senior Responsible Owners, programme staff and advisers to oversee programme quality across the portfolio, including leading the effective design, contracting and mobilisation of the proposed programmes.
- Develop effective relationships with partners, promoting common practice in agreements, and building partner capability in FCDO’s finance, compliance and delivery standards; sound and innovative M&E; setting high standards of due diligence and risk management and mitigation throughout the delivery chain; quality & timely annual reviews; timely receipt, scrutiny and follow-up of annual audited accounts; and continuous adaptation to changes in the political, security and climate situation.
- Single point of contact with the Intergrated Service Delivery Unit (ISDU) on finance – representing the block on finance. Single point of contact with the IDSU on PM issues that cut across sub-teams (e.g. statement of assurance coordination but teams would go direct on asset management where only one prog closing)
- Role model best practice in risk management, ensure high standards of financial management and forecasting, compliance with counter terrorism legislation, monitoring and reporting aid diversion, safeguarding, value for money, audits, and asset management.
- Line management or counter-signing responsibilities (TBC) for the programme management team and Cross office support and mentoring on programme delivery.
- Either line manage or objective lead/countersign for an agreed number of deputy programme managers, programme officers and programme assistants.
- Support the continual professional development of the programme management team. Proactively identify training needs and opportunities for training and act as role model and mentor to support new colleagues to develop.
- Provide direction and guidance to programme managers across FCDO Nigeria in relation to FCDO’s policy on programme delivery, apply and share lessons on emerging programme management best practice, including developing better processes and tools to help the team effectively manage workloads and objectives.
- Be an active member of FCDO Nigeria’s Programme Delivery Leadership Team and help improve programme delivery standards in FCDO Nigeria with up to 10% of time.
- Act as a focal point for HMG departments that comprise the block (FCDO, Home Office International Operations (HOIO), NCA, CSSF Migration Fund & Home Office International Directorate). Foster good relationship management between the various departments. Create and maintain an effective operating framework for the block on strategy
- Help shape and role model the Block culture being inclusive, supportive, and results focused.
- Support policy development, drafting of submissions, corporate returns, liaison with other BHC staff as required.
- Lead on team meetings and other team structures – ensuring they function effectively and are structured in a way to help the team deliver
- QA and provide input to submissions, reports Due Diligence Assessment (DDA) and sections of Business Cases (BC)and Annual Reviews resulting in DDAs, reports, BCs and Annual Reviews (AR) completed in line with agreed timelines and to good quality with positive feedback received
- Maintain an effective operating framework for the block on strategy, policy, HR, internal comms, external comms, programmes and influencing.
- Accountable for the functioning of the process and supporting team leaders by ensuring accountability for their compliance and delivery.
- Responsible to SRO for ensuring high quality comms across the block (including non FCDO) departments) and act as objective lead for Comms contacts within the block.
- Act as Chief of Operations and support the SRO to effectively resource team providing oversight on recruitment and induction of new staff to the team.
- Lead on parliamentary engagement – single point of contract for NU on PQs, briefs etc. Ensures the interface with technical staff and process works.
- Develop, create and engage with communications system/approach for the block. Update core script for the block and serve as point of contact for comms issues
You will be responsible for mentoring programme staff on the effective management of that budget and working with the SRO(s) on its effective delivery.
Line management will be discussed with the successful candidate but will likely mean managing one or two members of staff directly and mentoring a larger group
Essential on arrival:
- Proven programme management experience.
- Proven leadership and effective people management skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Resilience and ability to work under pressure in a supportive but busy and challenging environment.
- Excellent team player.
Level of language required: Fluent
Policy experience and skills, with knowledge of Governance, Conflict and Social Development.
- Delivering at Pace, Leadership, Developing Self and Others
Method of Application
Be found by employers. Sign up and complete your profile