Connect with us

Nigeria Newspapers

Makinde pledges commitment to road projects

Published

on

c5ec4b12 1628193 oyo state governor seyi makinde

The Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, on Thursday pledged his commitment to road projects in the state.

He made this known at the official inauguration of the reconstruction of the 34.85km Oyo-Iseyin road.

Makinde’s remarks were made available on his official Facebook page, where outlined the need for better road projects.

Advertisement

He said, “You need good roads to drive to healthcare centres. Without good roads, our children cannot go to school. How will our farmers get to the markets if the roads are bad?

“And no matter how many vehicles we give to security agencies, how will they be able to get to people in trouble when the roads are bad?

“So, we will continue to build a viable road network for our dear state. This is the path to sustainable development.”

Advertisement

The road contract was awarded to Messrs Kopek Construction Ltd, who had been on-site for five months before the official ceremony.

Makkinde said, “As you drive in from the Oyo end of this road, you will see the amount of work that Messrs Kopek Construction Ltd have already done on this road.

“I’m sure the good people of Oyo are already seeing the benefits of this road construction. And when it is completed, it will become a vital link between the farming communities of Oke-Ogun and Oyo, providing the much-needed market linkage between these zones.

“Well, this is the official flag-off of the construction, but the contractors have been on-site for five months.”

Advertisement

He added that the 34.85km Oyo-Iseyin Road project would be completed in seven months.

Present at the event was the Governor of Bayelsa State, Duoye Diri.

Nigeria Newspapers

Corp member absconds from service after defiling minor in Bayelsa

Published

on

dc08ed89 3655409 1 nbbslhgup b8df6s02fy8g 1000x600 1

A Corps member attached to the Asamabiri Community Primary School in Asamabiri community of Sagbama Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, Jonathan Ogbe, has absconded from his one-year compulsory national service over his alleged involvement in the defilement of a 12-year-old pupil in the state.

Advertisement

DAILY POST, gathered that Jonathan Ogbe, 31 years and indigene of Kogi State, with NYSC call up number, NYSC/ABU/2020/113131, abandoned service and has since refused to pick up his discharge certificate having been on the run from the law.

Following the incident which allegedly occurred in September 2021, the Civil Society Group, Gender-based advocacy groups and indigenes of the community have accused the gender unit of the Bayelsa Police Command of foot-dragging in arresting and prosecuting the corps member.

The NYSC through the State Police Public Relations Officer, Mathew Ngobua, however, denied claims of footdragging but revealed that the corps member had already absconded following the allegations.

Advertisement

He said, ” The accused has abandoned service and all his numbers and that of his next of kin are not reachable. He has not even picked up his discharge certificate for service”.

Ngobua also said the disappearance of the accused corps member was noticed when he was invited for the usual practice of the NYSC disciplinary measure of bringing the accused to camp, de-kitting them and handing them over to the police for investigation.

”We discovered that he has abandoned service.

DAILY POST, also gathered yesterday that the accused Corps member, reportedly lured the 12 years old girl, names withheld, who is a pupil in the community primary school to his house and defiled her repeatedly.

Advertisement

According to the father of the victim, Nelson Gbaranbiri, his wife brought his attention to some strange discharge found in the panties of his 12-years-old daughter while doing her laundry. “My wife brought my attention to the stains and discharges she usually finds in the panties of my daughter. When I asked about what happened to her private part, she told me that ‘uncle’ will beat her.”

Gbaranbiri also confirmed that when he reported to the Divisional Police, they did nothing concerning the incident, “they asked me to arrest the accused and bring him to the station. They even demanded that I pay them before they can drive down to arrest the suspect. I also met with the NYSC, they also showed signs of indifference. I have protested now to the GRIT and hoping actions would be taken to arrest and prosecute this paedophile.”

In the petition forwarded to the State Police Commissioner and dated 3rd of September, 2021, the counsel to the victim’s family, A.O.Aniso Esq, said “When the accused corps member was confronted with the victim’s claim, he admitted being responsible and pleaded for forgiveness. And seeing that the minor was physically distressed and needed medical attention, the parents took her to the community medical centre and their worst fears were confirmed.

“After the medical confirmation, the family again confronted the corps member over his wrongdoing and he apologize profusely even offering N50, 000 to cover medical treatment. This is a criminal act and he has brought great shame to my client’s family”.

Advertisement

Also reacting to the copy of the petition made available to the State Gender Response Initiative Team (GRIT), the Chairperson, Barr. Dise Ogbise confirmed that the GRIT has just received the petition and assured that “GRIT will reach out to the State Police Command for more update

”We anticipate a prompt response by the Police to the petition already served them. As GRIT, Bayelsa State, we will not relax and we will give the child all the necessary legal and psychological support needed”.

Continue Reading

Nigeria Newspapers

Tinubu lied, PVCs have not expired – INEC

Published

on

c3e1ef76 1605243 tinubu 636x382 1

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, on Wednesday said presidential aspirant under the APC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu lied when he said the Permanent Voters Card (PVCs) have expired.

Advertisement

Tinubu, in a viral video had said the PVCs at the disposal of Nigerians right now have expired and that they needed to get new ones.

“They may not announce to you on time, the PVC that you have now has expired. You need to spread it round in various LGs, wards, let them get new ones,” he said.

Reacting to this development,  Prof. Bolade Eyinla, Chief Technical Adviser to the Chairman of INEC, said the PVCs had not expired and that there was no need for Nigerians who already had PVCs to register for new ones.

Advertisement

He emphasised that the PVCs were still valid, warning that it is a crime for Nigerians to engage in double registration.

“This information is not correct. The PVC issued to all previously registered voters remains valid. This kind of statement will certainly push eligible voters to register more than once thereby creating the problem of double and multiple registrations,” he told Daily Trust on Wednesday.

The Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, Mr. Rotimi Oyekanmi, also emphasised that Nigerians who already had PVCs did not need to register for new ones as they ones they had were still valid.

According Oyekan, double registration was an offence under the laws, saying that eligible Nigerians were entitled to register only once.

Advertisement

Continue Reading