Connect with us

Nigeria Newspapers

Makinde reacts to Oyo monarch, Asigangan’s death

Published

on

6279f8b5 1526535 makins e1622468689570

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has reacted to the death of the Asigangan of Igangan, Oba Abdul-Azeez Adewuyi Aribiyan II, describing it as another sad loss to the state.

Advertisement

Igangan is one of the towns in Ibarapa North local government area of the state.

The traditional ruler joined his ancestors in the early hours of Tuesday, less than ten days after the death of Soun of Ogbomoso, Oba Jimoh Oyewumi.

Makinde commiserated with the family of the late Oba and the people of Igangan on the death of the monarch.

Advertisement

Makinde, in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Taiwo Adisa, said the Oyo State government, would miss the late royal father.

He said, “I received the news of the passing of the Asigangan of Igangan, Oba Abdul-Azeez Adewuyi, who joined the pantheon of the gods today.

“Oba Adewuyi’s demise is another sad loss among the ranks of our royal fathers. I express heartfelt condolences to his family, the people of Igangan and the traditional council in Ibarapa and Oyo State.

“Kabiyesi will be remembered for his love for his community and his readiness to cooperate with the state government to restore peace to Igangan, which has been yielding positive results”.

Advertisement

Nigeria Newspapers

Court sentences three robbers to 17 years imprisonment for stealing N60,000 in Bauchi

Published

on

aa652afa 3655471 prison jail 1000x600 1

The Bauchi State High Court has convicted and sentenced three armed robbers to 17 years imprisonment each for robbing their victim of N60,000.

Advertisement

The convicts, Muazu Ya’u, Adamu Abdullahi and Awalu Babayo, were arraigned before Justice Muazu Abubakar of the Bauchi State High Court 5, sitting in Bauchi, by the police on two-count charge bordering on armed robbery in September, 2018.

The Bauchi State High Court 5 found them guilty and sentenced the three of them for the robbery offence committed sometime in 2018.

According to the prosecution, the act committed by convicts was contrary to Section 96 and punishable under Section 97 of the Penal Code of Bauchi State; Vol 1 of 2006.

Advertisement

According to the prosecuting counsel, M.M. Adamu, the convicts, together with one Ruwa Abdullahi, now at large, attacked one Abdullahi Ahmadu with machetes and sticks, to which he became unconscious, after which they robbed him of the sum of N60,000.

By this, the convicts were said to have committed an act punishable under Section 1 (1) (a) and (b) of the Robbery and Fire Arms (Special Provisions Act Cap R11, LFN 2004, as applicable to Bauchi State.

Delivering judgment in the case on Tuesday, Justice Abubakar held that the prosecution had been able to prove its case against the convicts and subsequently found them guilty of the charge preferred against them.

The judge, therefore, sentenced each of them to two years imprisonment on count one and 15 years imprisonment each for count charge two without any option of fine.

Advertisement

He, however, directed that the sentence shall run concurrently.

Reacting to the judgment, the convicts’ counsel, Yakubu Maikasuwa, expressed his discomfort with the sentence and informed that he would appeal the judgment, saying that he was hopeful that his clients would be set free.

In his words, “We are not happy that criminal acts are on the increase but there should be fair hearing of such cases.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Nigeria Newspapers

Corps member absconds from service after allegedly defiling minor in Bayelsa

Published

on

5ae6dc60 3655439 1 nbbslhgup b8df6s02fy8g 1000x600 1

A Corps member attached to the Asamabiri Community Primary School in Asamabiri community of Sagbama Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, Jonathan Ogbe, has absconded from his one-year compulsory national service over his alleged involvement in the defilement of a 12-year-old pupil in the state.

Advertisement

DAILY POST, gathered that Jonathan Ogbe, 31 years and indigene of Kogi State, with NYSC call up number, NYSC/ABU/2020/113131, abandoned service and has since refused to pick up his discharge certificate having been on the run from the law.

Following the incident which allegedly occurred in September 2021, the Civil Society Group, Gender-based advocacy groups and indigenes of the community have accused the gender unit of the Bayelsa Police Command of foot-dragging in arresting and prosecuting the corps member.

The NYSC through the State Police Public Relations Officer, Mathew Ngobua, however, denied claims of footdragging but revealed that the corps member had already absconded following the allegations.

Advertisement

He said, ” The accused has abandoned service and all his numbers and that of his next of kin are not reachable. He has not even picked up his discharge certificate for service”.

Ngobua also said the disappearance of the accused corps member was noticed when he was invited for the usual practice of the NYSC disciplinary measure of bringing the accused to camp, de-kitting them and handing them over to the police for investigation.

”We discovered that he has abandoned service.

DAILY POST, also gathered yesterday that the accused Corps member, reportedly lured the 12 years old girl, names withheld, who is a pupil in the community primary school to his house and defiled her repeatedly.

Advertisement

According to the father of the victim, Nelson Gbaranbiri, his wife brought his attention to some strange discharge found in the panties of his 12-years-old daughter while doing her laundry. “My wife brought my attention to the stains and discharges she usually finds in the panties of my daughter. When I asked about what happened to her private part, she told me that ‘uncle’ will beat her.”

Gbaranbiri also confirmed that when he reported to the Divisional Police, they did nothing concerning the incident, “they asked me to arrest the accused and bring him to the station. They even demanded that I pay them before they can drive down to arrest the suspect. I also met with the NYSC, they also showed signs of indifference. I have protested now to the GRIT and hoping actions would be taken to arrest and prosecute this paedophile.”

In the petition forwarded to the State Police Commissioner and dated 3rd of September, 2021, the counsel to the victim’s family, A.O.Aniso Esq, said “When the accused corps member was confronted with the victim’s claim, he admitted being responsible and pleaded for forgiveness. And seeing that the minor was physically distressed and needed medical attention, the parents took her to the community medical centre and their worst fears were confirmed.

“After the medical confirmation, the family again confronted the corps member over his wrongdoing and he apologize profusely even offering N50, 000 to cover medical treatment. This is a criminal act and he has brought great shame to my client’s family”.

Advertisement

Also reacting to the copy of the petition made available to the State Gender Response Initiative Team (GRIT), the Chairperson, Barr. Dise Ogbise confirmed that the GRIT has just received the petition and assured that “GRIT will reach out to the State Police Command for more update

”We anticipate a prompt response by the Police to the petition already served them. As GRIT, Bayelsa State, we will not relax and we will give the child all the necessary legal and psychological support needed”.

Continue Reading