A 16-year-old girl (name withheld) has narrated to an Ikeja Domestic Violence and Sexual Offences Court in Lagos, how her 43-year-old biological father (name withheld) repeatedly defiled.
According to a report, a teenager, who was led in evidence by Lagos State counsel, Ms Bukola Okeowo, said that the alleged defilement started after her mother relocated to South Africa in 2014.
According to the teenager, her father had been having sex with her since she was 14 years.
The survivor said that her father told her that the “Holy Spirit” instructed him to have sexual intercourse with her.
“I was 14 years old when the incident happened. It started with him touching my body.
“When I noticed this, I moved away my body from him. I told my twin brother about it the following morning, but he did not believe me.
“The next day, he had sex with me. I could not shout nor do anything because my father threatened me,” the survivor told the court.
She testified that her father continued to defile her even after they relocated to Badore, Ajah, Lagos State.
“At this point, it became an issue because he had sex with me almost every time on a beach.”
“There was a night he woke me up and told me that Holy Spirit told him to have sex with me and when he realised I was not ready to submit myself, he forcefully had sex with me.
“There was also a time my father had issues with his girlfriend. He woke me up and took me to the kitchen to have sex with him.
“I did not make any sound because he threatened to kill me – the reason I could not tell my mother.”
She testified that her father later took her and her twin brother to his girlfriend’s residence in the Chevron area of Lekki, Lagos State, to live with her, adding that he still had sex with her (survivor) there.
She said that her father asked her to pack out of his girlfriend’s house one midnight but she objected and neighbours waded in.
“I saw him at my back at midnight telling me to pack my things and leave the house that day.
“As I was packing, I was scared he might have sex with me again; so, I locked the door from inside,” she testified
The minor told the court that after interventions from the landlord and another old man, she opened the door.
“He took my bag and dragged me out. It was from there I started shouting for help.
“Some youths in the neighbourhood came out and confronted him, asking him where he wanted to take me to at that time of the night.
“He told them that I would not stay in that house again.
“It was at that time I told the other old man that my father had been having sex with me.”
The survivor said the old man called the estate chairman the following morning.
“The man asked if I wanted to pursue the case and I told him, ‘Yes.’
She said that she also told her father’s girlfriend about the alleged defilement in April 2021 and she connected with her mother on Facebook and informed her about the alleged crime.
She said that her father and mother communicated with each other once in a while and mostly ended up in a fight.
“The case was later reported at Langbasa Police Station in Ajah. After that, it was transferred to the state command.
I later went to the Gender Section of the state police command and they took me to Mirabel Medical Centre where tests were carried out on me.
“I also went to the Domestic and Sexual Violence Response Agency (DSVRA) for counselling,” she said.
#JusticeForDeborah: Nigerian Lawyers, NBA Postpone 2022 SPIDEL Conference In Sokoto Over Killing Of Deborah For Alleged Blasphemy
The Nigerian Bar Association has urged the Sokoto State Government to redraft the charge sheet against the defendants standing trial due to the recent killing of Deborah Samuel in Sokoto.
The union said it has postponed its Annual NBA-SPIDEL (NBA Section on Public Interest and Development Law) conference scheduled to hold in Sokoto as a sign of respect to the late Deborah.
Deborah, a student of Shehu Shagari College of Education in Sokoto was killed and her body was burnt last Thursday by fellow students after she was accused of blasphemy.
The statement released by the NBA president, Olumide Akpata, on Tuesday described the incident as barbaric and unacceptable.
The statement reads: “The last week, like many before it, has been replete with unfortunate developments that have trivialised the sanctity of human lives, exposed the weakness in our security architecture, tested our collective resolve as a people, and significantly threatened the unity of Nigeria as a nation.
“In the South-East, there were reports of the gruesome killing of security personnel by the now notorious “unknown gunmen” and other non-State actors; in Lagos, a young man (simply identified as David) was reportedly lynched by commercial motorcyclists around Lekki; and in Sokoto, there is the unfortunate and heart-wrenching murder of Miss Deborah Yakubu, a 200-level student of Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto by some of her school mates for alleged blasphemy.
“The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) is saddened by these developments and unequivocally condemns extra-judicial killings in any part of the country as reprehensible, barbaric and unacceptable. Our security agencies must do more to stem these ugly developments, and ensure that the perpetrators of these heinous acts, wherever or whoever they may be, are made to face the full wrath of the law.
“The government should immediately commence the prosecution of all suspects involved in these brutal and arbitrary killings in order to send a strong signal that such acts will no longer be tolerated in Nigeria. The NBA also believes that the prompt and effective prosecution of the alleged killers will instil confidence in the citizens, promote accountability, and signpost the government’s commitment to the rule of law.”
Mr Akpata equally disclosed that the union has postponed its Annual SPIDEL conference scheduled to hold in Sokoto as a sign of respect to the deceased.
“The NBA is deeply worried not just by the chilling news of the murder of Miss Deborah Yakubu, but also by the sudden and sad turn of events and the deteriorating security situation in Sokoto State.
“As such, having critically reviewed the current security condition in Sokoto, it has become apparent that we cannot guarantee the safety of our guest speakers, delegates and other stakeholders that have committed to attend the NBA-SPIDEL’s conference which was designed to put the State in the global spotlight for the duration of the conference and beyond.
“Accordingly, the Executive Committee of NBA-SPIDEL came to the painful decision to request, and I have approved, that the 2022 NBA-SPIDEL Annual Conference be postponed not only for the safety of our conferees and guests, but as a mark of respect for the memory of the slain Miss Deborah Yakubu,” the statement added.
Unknown Gunmen Write 10 Local Council Areas In Anambra To Prepare For Attacks, Dare Governor Soludo
Gunmen terrorising Anambra State have sent letters to nine local government areas, indicating their plans to attack them.
The listed local government areas are Ihiala, Aguata, Nnewi South, Awka North, Awka South, Idemili North, Idemili South, Orumba South, Orumba North and Anambra East.
The unknown armed men in a message sent to the targeted local government areas challenged security operatives in the state to get ready for action in ‘Biafra Land.’
The letter quoted by The Punch reads, “These local government areas should wait for us soon. We are warning our dear Professor (Professor Charles Soludo, Anambra State governor) that it is time for action and not time to speak big grammar and talking. All the security men occupying should get ready for action.
“Go and tell the President to release our oga (boss), Onyendu, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, or face continuous war – FINAL WARNING.”
Gunmen have attacked and burnt down secretariats of three local government areas including Nnewi South Council headquarters, Ukpor, Aguata Council headquarters, Aguata and Idemili North Council headquarters, Ogidi between March 17 when Governor Soludo assumed office and now.
The latest attack on Idemili North Local Government Area was carried out on May 15.
But the state police command has vowed to get rid of criminals in the state.
On Monday, police operatives killed two hoodlums operating and enforcing a sit-at-home directive at Umunze in the Orumba South local government area of the state.
Also, on Tuesday, police operatives killed some suspected sit-at-home enforcers who were operating around the Ogidi area when they engaged the security operatives in a gun battle.
The state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, who confirmed the incident said the command and other sister agencies had been on patrol to maintain law and order in the state after several attacks and killings carried out by the hoodlums on Monday.
Meanwhile, Ikenga assured the people of the state to go about their normal business without any form of intimidation, harassment or worry, saying there will be adequate security for them.