Newcastle boss Eddie Howe has reportedly changed his mind over a transfer for Tottenham midfielder Dele Alli, now choosing to open talks with Spurs.
The Magpies have added to crucial areas of their team as they look to bolster their squad ready for a Premier League relegation battle. While Kieran Trippier has added to the defence, Chris Wood has arrived in attack.
Both players have wasted no time in settling in, starting last Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Watford.
Centre-back subsequently emerged as Newcastle’s next area of biggest concern. Indeed, Howe pointed out his side’s defensive frailties after they squandered a 1-0 lead against the Hornets.
In making centre-back a priority, Newcastle reportedly moved on from a potential transfer for attacking midfielder Alli.
According to Football Insider, though, Howe has now performed a U-turn and sanctioned a move for the Englishman.
The Magpies boss has reportedly had a ‘change of heart’ and wants to try to get Alli into his team.
As such, ‘preliminary talks’ between Newcastle and Tottenham have begun, but the potential deal remains in its infancy.
Alli was once a vital player for Spurs under former manager Mauricio Pochettino.
However, he has struggled under Jose Mourinho, Nuno Espirito Santo and now Antonio Conte.
Indeed, Conte has indeed earmarked him as a player who can leave this month, either on loan or a permanent deal.
Spurs chiefs have discussed their own transfer plans and realise they must balance the books if they want to add to Conte’s squad.
Dele Alli could leave Tottenham in swap deal
Midfielder Tanguy Ndombele is another player Spurs reportedly want to move on this month along with Steven Bergwijn, despite his game-winning heroics at Leicester on Wednesday.
According to transfer expert Fabrizio Romano, though, Alli could yet leave in a swap deal.
Romano said last week: “The problem is about selling players. They need to sell players.
“So they want Ndombele to leave the club, they’ve offered him to Roma, but Roma are going for different players.
When will Salah, Mahrez, Mane and the rest of AFCON Premier League players return?
“They need the same for Bergwijn. He’s going to leave the club with Ajax interested in a move. Let’s see if they’ll be able to do it.
“Also Dele Alli. Keep an eye on him because they’re still looking for solutions and some swap deal could be the solution.”
While Newcastle have reportedly performed a U-turn over Alli, they are also supposedly going after Manchester United midfielder Jesse Lingard.
Reading take action in tug-of-war with West Brom with fresh hint on timescale
Reading have made midfielder John Swift a new contract offer amid links to Championship rivals West Bromwich Albion but a decision is not expected imminently, according to Berkshire Live.
The 26-year-old has been a talismanic figure for the Royals this term – with his 11 goals and 13 assists vital in keeping them in the second tier – but is out of contract and set to leave unless new terms can be agreed.
The Athletic has reported that West Brom are confident of signing Swift as Steve Bruce looks to add more creativity to his midfield but the Berkshire club have taken fresh action in the tug-of-war over him.
A report from Berkshire Live has claimed that Swift has been offered a new three-year deal to remain at Reading, which is said to be “a fair offer given the club’s current situation”.
The midfielder is on holiday so a decision is not expected imminently but it is understood that his representatives have been impressed by a recent meeting with new head of football Mark Bowen, who has outlined the Royals’ plans moving forward.
Due to a business plan agreed with the EFL, Reading must cut £4 million from their £16 million wage bill this summer and cannot sign players for fees with only free agent or loan signings on one-year deals allowed.
Keeping Swift looks a tough ask but it seems Reading are doing all they can to try and do so.
Their financial situation and the cuts to the wage bill needed as part of the EFL-agreed business plan mean they’re not able to offer a huge new deal in an attempt to convince him to stay.
Nonetheless, there are some positive signs with the deal said to be fair given the current situation and Swift’s representatives impressed by a recent meeting with Bowen.
With promotion hopefuls such as West Brom interested, however, it is hard to see the 26-year-old staying on with the Royals.
It seems we’ll have to wait a little while longer for a decision, with the midfielder currently on holiday following the end of the Championship season.
Quiz: 24 facts every Reading FC supporter should know about their club – Can you score full marks?
Sergio Busquets Revealed His Feelings About How The Season Has Gone
Barcelona secured a second place league finish with a draw away from home at Getafe this Sunday. After the match, Sergio Busquets revealed his feelings about how the season has gone are not the best.
Sergio Busquets, Barcelona centremidfielder, does not view the 2021/22 season in a positive light. His side have been unable to fight for silverware this campaign but he looks ahead to next season with more hope when ‘Los Azulgranas’ will have “a competitive team despite being handicapped by the economic situation”.
Barcelona played out a goalless draw at the Coliseum Alfonso Perez and in doing so secured a second place league finish with one game left of the season to play.
“We couldn’t find the final ball in the first half with them playing five at the back, and in the second half they dropped deeper, we had some chances but they weren’t dangerous”, said Busquets to the ‘Movistar+’ cameras.
With one game left of the La Liga season, Barcelona can begin to forget about a trophyless campaign.
“I’m sure the coach and board are clear on what needs to be done, but we are handicapped by the economic situation. From here, they’ll work as well as they can to build a competitive team able to fight for everything”, he said.
“I don’t feel good about the season. We’re Barcelona, we have to fight for every trophy, we have to be in the fight and do better, everyone as one. We hope to do as well as we can and fight for trophies next season”, he concluded.