According to Tribune, President of Nigeria Baptist Convention, Rev Dr Israel Akanji, disclosed this in Gombe on Friday during the 2022 International General Workers Conference for the North-East held at the First Baptist Church, Gombe.
Gunmen had in the early hours of Monday, 5th July, 2021, stormed the school owned by the church in Damishi, Kaduna and abducted 121 students of the school.
Akanji also scored the fight against insecurity by the President Muhammadu Buhari led administration as below par considering the number of innocent lives of Nigerians that have been lost through various acts of banditry and insurgency.
He said, “Initially we didn’t want to spend money, we didn’t believe in spending any money, that was how we began. I even said this openly that we will not spend money but I am also saying it openly now that we have had to spend money, we were forced to spend money.
“When our children spent one month and did not come and these bandits were telling us that they will start killing our children one by one, then we had to weigh between our money being in our pockets and our children dying or our children been released to us and we losing our money so, preferred to lose the money since the government will not help us we had to resort to self-help, that was what happened and we had to spend so much money.
“There is no doubt in our minds, there is no one that convinces many of us that this administration has done enough on security. We are not saying that they have done nothing, they have been saying that they are doing their best but we are saying that their best is below the belt, far below our expectations.
“Whoever is going to be the next president of Nigeria must be ready to confront the insecurity in our land. For as long as some people are free to be carrying guns and be killing people while others are arrested for carrying the same thing, then there is a problem of injustice in the land.
“Arrest is discriminatory, you can see clearly in Nigeria, you don’t need to be told that someone like me will still be hiding and not saying the truth, it is a shame on the entire nation. At this level, we must say the truth to ourselves, the insecurity of this nation has been propelled by the high level of impunity.”
Source:- Sahara Reporters
Daughter Accuses Father Of Sexual Assault At NAPTIP
The duo, had in December last year, ran to NAPTIP seeking protection from the father who is medical personnel at the State House clinic and a lecturer at the same Baze University, Abuja.
She accused her father of sexual assault, physical abuse and inflicting serious injuries on her 15-year-old younger brother since June 2020 when they began living with him. Before then, they lived in their maternal home after their mother and sole custodian died of cancer on May 21, 2018.
However, after a legal fight, the father was granted custody of Obalum and the younger brother by a Lagos family court.
The accused arrived at the headquarters of the agency with the court’s verdict along with his entourage, consisting of his legal representatives, some able-bodied men and a female who tried to take away the children who were handed over to them by the Rapid Response Unit of NAPTIP but failed to achieve his aim as the duo resisted the move.
NAPTIP said it couldn’t go against the court order, but the children resisted, crying and shouting that they would not return to the home of their abuser, but would rather commit suicide. This drew more attention from passersby and onlookers as the Investigating Officer on the case in the Rapid Response Unit of NAPTIP; Mrs. Usafina Chimera attempted to drag the children to their father to be taken away.
When asked by journalists why the agency is returning the children to the alleged abuser after coming to the agency for shelter, Chimera said: “What we do in the Rapid Response Unit is that when a complaint is lodged against someone, we go rapidly to rescue this person. When we received this complaint, we went to Baze University to where she stayed Mmaclocker with her brother to rescue her after her exams. Based on her statement, we commenced an investigation, and have taken the case to the legal department and it advise that there is no prima-facie evidence in prosecuting the case.
The girl, who has turned 18, is old enough to go further with the case. As an agency, we follow orders and the directives is that we should hand over the two of them to the father.”
On why she sought help from NAPTIP and their refusal to return to her father, Ifeoma explained that they had never really lived with their father until the passing of their mother shortly before she turned 18. She said their father came with policemen to their school to forcefully take them away from their maternal family’s custody, but failed and later sought custody through the court and it was granted to him.
She said: “I came to NAPTIP because I had to report to them a case of my father sexually assaulting me and physically abusing my brother, how he maltreats us, neglects us, and keeps us locked up in the house for three weeks with no form of communication to the world. No phone, internet, television, nothing.”
MEANWHILE, lawyers to the defendants, who work with PUNUKA attorneys and solicitors led by Ebele Enida has written a petition letter to President Muhammadu Buhari to intervene on the matter.
A document made available to The Guardian reads “Petition against Dr. Dike Obalum for physical and Sexual Assault on his biological daughter, Miss Ifoema Obalum and Chukwuemeka Obalum.
The lawyers are urging President Muhammadu Buhari to use his office to investigate the matter and protect the children.
Source:- Guardian Ng
Enyinnaya Nwafor Paid Don Ubani N5m To Attack Gov. Ikpeazu – Ex-LGA Chair
Mr. Ubani had lambasted Governor Ikpeazu over alleged plot by the Governor to marginalise or betray the Old Aba division and handover power to a successor from Old Bende bloc, ‘contrary to an existing agreement,’ in exchange for a seat at the Senate in 2023, tagging the Governor a ‘serial betrayal’.
Nwafor from Umunnato political bloc comprising three Ngwa councils in Abia Central senatorial district, who is currently nursing ambition to succeed Governor Ikpeazu in 2023, allegedly paid Mr. Ubani the sum of N5 Million Naira to launch coordinated media attack on the Governor and other political leaders in the state.
The plan, it was gathered, was hatched recently in his home and Mr. Ubani has begun executing the hatchet job, a source privy to the arrangement told this Reporter, warning that leaders of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Abia must call Ubani to order immediately.
It was reliably gathered that Ubani is likely to launch social media opinion posts (during the course of the attacks) massaging select political leaders’ ego as a distraction, “…the people should not be surprised even when Ubani comes up with outright denials or flimsy excuses, he is only playing according to the script,” the source added.
The source, a former council Chairman in Obingwa LGA, who claimed that he was first approached by Enyinnaya Nwafor to do the job, recalled how the latter hinted the former Commissioner for Information and Strategy (Ubani) would do the job if he (the source) was not ready to take the offer.
He said: “I can tell you for free that Ubani will not stop the attacks if he is not stopped immediately by leaders, some (of the attacks) will come disguised as opinions, he (Ubani) can go at any length,” while fingering an unnamed chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state as backing Ubani on the mission.
The source added: “Ubani was already embittered that the Governor recently blocked a contract he (Ubani) was eyeing and see this (attack) job as an opportunity and avenue to take a ‘pound of flesh’,” warning however that the mission could be suicidal if Mr. Ubani does not put a stop to it immediately.
Enyinnaya Nwafor’s gubernatorial ambition is heavily dependent on the plot by Ukwa la Ngwa people to hold onto power beyond 2023, an ambition pundits say may not see the light of the day without Governor Ikpeazu’s support.
Efforts to reach Mr. Ubani on his known phone line proved abortive, a mail sent to his email address was yet to receive any attention as at the time of filing this report. But the Deputy Governor’s Aide, who believes that the Ukwa La Ngwa people will not forgive Governor Ikpeazu should he handover power to a successor outside the Old Aba bloc in 2023, has never hidden his preference for an Old Aba zone successor.
Meanwhile, a Spokesman for Enyinnaya Nwafor could not be immediately reached for comments.
When contacted, the Abia State Commissioner for Information and strategy, Barr. Eze Chikamnayo did not respond to our correspondent calls and text messages.
Source :- 9newsng