A new research has revealed that Nigeria topped the countries with the highest rate of cryptocurrency use and ownership in 2022.
Nigeria, Africa’s largest economy, clinched the top spot, with almost half the population having used or owned cryptocurrency.
The study, conducted by an online casino guide Trading Browser, analysed data on crypto ownership and usage. The ranking was done via the percentage of the population that reported that they used or owned cryptocurrency each year from 2019 to 2022.
Nigeria tops the list, with 45 per cent of the population using or owning cryptocurrency in 2022. The nation boasts over 90 million people using cryptocurrency – that’s almost 150 per cent higher than the population of the United Kingdom.
From 2019 to 2022, Nigeria saw a 17 per cent total increase in ownership and use from 28 per cent to 45 per cent, equating to over 34 million people adopting cryptocurrency over the three years.
Coming in second place is Thailand. The Southeast Asian country has a massive 44 per cent of its population reporting to using or owning cryptocurrency – equal to just over 30 million people.
Despite being dwarfed by some of the other contenders on the list, Thailand has the biggest uptake in ownership and usage, with a huge 21 per cent increase from 23 per cent to 44 per cent. That’s equal to 14.6 million people, just over one in five of the population of the country, which is the highest percentage of the top ten.
The number three spot belongs to Turkey. The transcontinental country has 40 per cent of its population owning and using cryptocurrency in 2022, equal to over 33 million people. The adoption of cryptocurrency has doubled from 20 per cent to 40 per cent amongst the population from 2019 to 2022 – over 16 million people. This increase from 2019 to 2022 places Turkey second in terms of cryptocurrency uptake.
The first South American country on the list, Argentina, comes in fourth with an ownership and usage rate of 35 per cent in 2022 – almost 16 million people. This may well change in the near future, though, with several draft laws aimed at institutionalising and regulating various aspects of digital assets and the virtual currency industry.
In fifth place comes the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The UAE is hot on the heels of Argentina, with 34 per cent of the population owning or using cryptocurrency in 2022 – just over one in three people of the almost 10 million population.
Minister of State for Foreign Trade, Dr Thani Al Zeyoudi, said in a recent interview with Bloomberg that a key area the UAE is looking to expand into, is cryptocurrencies. So, this might well mean that the 34 per cent figure is set to increase over the coming years.
The remainder of the top ten features the Philippines in sixth place with 29 per cent (15 million) of its population using or owning cryptocurrency. Vietnam is in seventh place with 27 per cent of the population, equalling just over 26 million people using or owning cryptocurrency.
Surprisingly, in joint eighth place, the country with the highest population in the top ten, India, is matched with the country with the lowest population in the top ten, Singapore. Both nations have a rate of 25 per cent of the population owning or using cryptocurrency in 2022, over 341 million and almost 1.5 million, respectively.
In ninth place is Brazil. The second South American country of the top ten has the lowest rate of cryptocurrency ownership and use at only 24 per cent – just over 51 million of the population. Last place in the top ten is South Africa, with a usage and ownership ship of 23 per cent, working out to over 13 million people.
Surprisingly, the United States ranks 22nd on the list, with only 16 per cent of the population owning or using cryptocurrency. That’s equivalent to just over one in six people. The United Kingdom ranks even lower, coming in at 50th place with only 11 per cent of the country owning or using cryptocurrency – equal to just over 7 million people.
Commenting on the findings, a spokesperson for Trading Browser said, “The information presented in the data offers valuable perspectives on the industry’s current status, specifically emphasizing the increasing adoption of digital assets worldwide. It is positive to observe various countries making strides in terms of cryptocurrency regulation and infrastructure. It is hoped that this data will contribute to the further development and widespread acceptance of digital assets.”
The study was conducted by Trading Browser, a one-stop solution for cryptocurrency traders and investors. They have a dedicated team of experienced crypto professionals on hand to guide and help people through cryptocurrency trading. They also provide information on the market, best practices for trading, and useful tools and resources for making informed decisions.