Connect with us

Nigeria Newspapers

Obaseki presents N214.2bn budget to Edo Assembly

Published

on

07a64521 1588598 godwin obasek

The Governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki, on Wednesday, presented a budget proposal of N214.2 billion for the 2022 fiscal year to the state House of Assembly for consideration and approval.

The budget christened ‘Budget of Renewal, Hope and Growth’, showed an increase of 32.9 per cent over the 2021 approved budget of N161 billion.

Advertisement

Presenting the budget, Obaseki said that it is made up of N95.9 billion recurrent expenditure and N118 billion capital expenditure.

He said, “Mr Speaker, the increase in capital expenditure over the previous year’s approved budget underscores my administration’s commitment to enhance and stimulate the ease of doing business

“Recurrent estimates of the budget are based on $57 per barrel benchmark for crude oil and an average daily production of 1.88 million barrels per day as well as increase of our IGR to N50.2 billion

“The proposed capital and recurrent expenditures ratios is put at 55 per cent to 45 per cent respectively.

Advertisement

“The total projected IGR for 2022 is N186 billion consisting of N65 billion statutory allocation. Value added tax of N23 billion, IGR of N50.3 billion and N11.6 billion from grants,” he said.

During the presentation, the governor proposed N24.6 billion for Education, Health N14.1 billion, Government buildings N21 billion, Road/Bridges N30 billion, Youth/Social Development N5 billion and Environment N8 billion.

Others are Agriculture N4.6 billion, water N1.2 billion, Electricity N2.7 billion and public safety and security N9.2 billion.

The budget proposal also included technology enhancement N7.6 billion, enhancing working environment N15 billion, tourism and development of Benin cultural districts N2 billion and administration of justice N5 billion among others.

Advertisement

Nigeria Newspapers

Court remands grave digger for allegedly raping 11-year-old girl

Published

on

39df04b2 3665244 court 1000x600 1

A grave digger has been remanded at the Olokuta Correctional Centre in Ondo State for allegedly raping an 11-year-old girl.

Advertisement

The 32-year-old grave digger, Seun Owoyemi was remanded by an Akure Magistrates’ Court.

Owoyemi was said to have lured the victim with N100 before forcefully having her carnal knowledge.

The defendant who lived close to the parents of girl’s house at Igesa Street, Igbara-Oke, Ifedore Local Government Area of the State Ondo State, was said to have committed the offence in January 10, 2022.

Advertisement

According to the prosecutor, Inspector Niyi Taiwo, informed the court that the defendant had carnal knowledge of of the girl twice.

The prosecutor added that the offence contravene the Provisions of the Criminal Code, Cap. 37, Vol. 1 Laws of Ondo State.

He urged the court for an order to remand the defendant in the Correctional Centre pending advice from the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, DPP.

While pleading not guilty to the crime, the defendant denied the allegation, emphasising that it was a set up to implicate him by the victim and her grandmother.

Advertisement

In his ruling, the Magistrate, O.L. Abu, ordered that Owoyemi should be remanded at Olokuta Correctional Centre in Akure, the state capital.

The magistrate subsequently adjourned the case till February 28, 2021, after the prosecutor was directed to duplicate the case file and send to the DPP for advice.

Continue Reading

Nigeria Newspapers

Suspects arrested as hoodlums’ clash causes panic in Lagos

Published

on

67f6ba74 1712055 police

The Lagos State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of some suspects involved in the violent clashes that created tension in the Idumota and Oke Arin areas of the state.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Adekunle Ajisebutu, while reacting to the incident, said normalcy had been restored following a massive deployment of policemen in the areas.

He said, “Normalcy has since been restored following a massive deployment of policemen to the scene. Some arrests have also been made. Investigation has commenced.”

Advertisement

It was learnt that during the clash, traders and customers, residents and passersby scampered to safety to escape being hurt by the hoodlums engaging themselves in a supremacy clash.

The hoodlums were said to have taken advantage of the unrest to loot shops and rob people of their valuables.

Video clips of the clash trending online showed as people ran helter-skelter due to the tension created during the unrest.

Advertisement

Some victims were heard calling on the Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, to intervene for peace to reign.

Continue Reading