Connect with us

News

Six dead, 19 others injured in Bauchi State auto crash

Published

on

FRSC logo

The Federal Road Safety Corps, Bauchi State Command says no fewer than six persons lost their lives in a ghastly motor accident that occurred in Bauchi on Monday.

The Sector Commander, Yusuf Abdullahi, confirmed the incident in Bauchi, Bauchi State on Tuesday in an interview.

Advertisement

In the interview with the News Agency of Nigeria, Abdullahi said that 19 others sustained various degrees of injuries.

Abdullahi said the accident, which involved two Ford buses belonging to Galaxy Transport, occurred in Gurum village on the Bauchi-Kano Road at 6:20pm when the two buses had a head-on collision.

The sector commander, who said that it took the corps about 20 minutes to arrive at the scene to clear the site, attributed the cause of the accident to wrongful overtaking.

Advertisement

He added: “Twenty-five people were involved in the crash, comprising 23 males, one female and a female child.

“Six people died on the spot and they are all males.

“Nineteen others sustained injuries.

Advertisement

“Among them are 17 males, one female and a female child.”

According to Abdullahi, one of the drivers of the buses has been identified as Ibrahim Abduljalal with vehicle’s number plate: JJN 712 YX, while the name and the number plate of the other vehicle were not available at the time of the interview.

The FRSC boss further said the injured persons had been referred to the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital, Bauchi for treatment while the remains of the deceased were also deposited in the morgue of the same hospital for identification.

Advertisement

He noted that the obstructions were cleared to allow for free flow of traffic while the vehicles were handed over to the Motor Transport Department of the GRA Police Station.

He advised motorists to always be conscious of traffic rules and regulations.

NAN.

Advertisement

News

Lagos-Badagry Expressway gets N15b NNPC tax credit boost

Published

on

Olukayode Popoola.

The Agbara-Seme border section of Lagos-Badagry Expressway project will receive N15 billion of tax credit fund from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.

This was revealed on Sunday in Lagos by the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos State, Olukayode Popoola.

Advertisement

Popoola told the News Agency of Nigeria that the intervention funding would fast track the ongoing reconstruction of the road.

NAN reports that the 46km highway was awarded to CGC Construction Company in October 2018 at a cost of N63.2 billion.

The Lagos-Badagry Expressway is part of the projects NNPC is funding under the Tax Credit Scheme among the 21 roads selected nationwide.

Advertisement

Popoola said: “NNPC fund that is coming is about N15 billion.

“It will be used for the section where CGC is working between Agbara to Seme border.

“The contractor has never moved out of site.

Advertisement

“They are on site and are working as we are talking.”

He, however, could not confirm whether the N15 billion NNPC Tax Credit fund had been released, saying that funding issues are handled by the accountants.

Popoola said the last SUKUK funds allocated to the project was still running, adding that the project was progressing and close to 20 per cent completion.

Advertisement

According to him, about 14km of drainage works had been done and 6km of the main carriageway completed to the final layers.

He said that alternative sources of funding, including the SUKUK and NNPC Tax Credit scheme, were deployed by the Federal Government to resolve funding constraints on the project.

“The speed, the rate of progress will increase in 2022,” he said.

Advertisement

Speaking on the ongoing Apapa-Oshodi-Ojota-Oworonshoki Expressway reconstruction/rehabilitation project, Popoola said that Sections 1, 3 and 4 had achieved 90 per cent completion.

He said major work on the three sections had been completed and the lanes were opened to traffic, adding that only lane markings and street lights installations were yet to be done.

NAN reports that Section One of the project spans from Apapa Port Gate to Beach Land Estate Bus Stop area, while Section Three is from Cele Bus Stop to Anthony.

Advertisement

Section Four of the Apapa-Oshodi-Ojota-Oworonshoki Expressway project spans from Anthony Bus Stop to Ojota Bus Stop area.

Popoola said there would no longer be hitches with construction speed as the initial challenges of trucks and port congestion that slowed down the project for about six months had been resolved.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

SS3 student who beat teacher to death declared wanted in Delta

Published

on

Beaten to death 2

A Senior Secondary School 3 student of Erhimu Secondary School, Abraka, Michael Ogbeife, has declared wanted by the police for beating a teacher, Joseph Ossai, to death in Delta state.

Advertisement

It was gathered that Michael, who is on the run, had on that fateful day engaged the teacher in a scuffle that resulted in the teacher giving up the ghost during the fight.

WITHIN NIGERIA had reported that the deceased teacher, who was said to be in charge of Agricultural Science and Biology in the school, flogged Michael’s younger sister, Promise Ogbeife who was involved in a dispute with her classmate.

Advertisement

Michael was said to have got infuriated by the teacher’s decision to flog his sister and the enraged SS3 student resorted to a fight with the teacher.

Advertisement

According to PUNCH, sources said that Michael angrily left the school’s premises after his sister was flogged, and later returned back, heading straight to the staff room for a showdown with the teacher.

Some sources alleged that Michael had initially rushed home to get a charm before engaging the teacher in the fight.

Advertisement

It was gathered that the teacher collapsed after some punches from the student which left the teacher with a bleeding nose just as blood was also gushing out from his mouth.

Advertisement

Consequently, the teacher was rushed to a private hospital in the community, from where he was referred to the government hospital where he was confirmed dead on arrival.

Reacting to the gory incident, the proprietor of the school, Mr Erhimu, told journalists that he was awaiting full details of the matter, as he was not around when the incident happened.

Advertisement

The visibly worried proprietor has however directed that the school be shut till Monday noting that he had been to the police station over the matter.

Advertisement

The state police Public Relations Officer, PRO, DSP Bright Edafe, who confirmed the incident told newsmen that the suspect is on the run.

“The suspect is nowhere to be found for now, but his sister is in protective custody”, the PPRO said just as he insisted that efforts are being intensified to arrest the fleeing suspect.

Advertisement
Continue Reading