adplus-dvertising
Connect with us

World

South Africa declares state of disaster after deadly floods

Published

on

WhatsApp Image 2016 11 09 at 7.40.37 PM

President Cyril Ramaphosa has declared a state of national disaster in South Africa.

This comes a week after terrible floods left at least 443 people dead in the Durban area on the east coast.

“The cabinet met in special session last night and decided to declare a state of national disaster,” the head of state said in a televised address, referring to the situation as “a humanitarian disaster”.

“Tonight we are a nation united in mourning,” added Mr Ramaphosa, who visited the country on Wednesday.

Some 10,000 troops have been deployed to the affected areas to assist the overwhelmed relief effort.

The week-long downpour has led to deadly floods and landslides in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) where most of the casualties have so far been recorded.

According to the National Meteorological Institute, the rainfall has eased since the weekend and no further flooding is expected in the coming days.

Thousands of people have been displaced, some areas have been without water and electricity since Monday.

Water tankers are trying to bring in drinking water but roads and bridges are still cut off.

Homeless people are clearing the roads in exchange for a few coins from the few motorists.

Nearly 80% of the drinking water network is out of order, according to local authorities, who warned that it would take time to restore it.

For the first time on Monday, a water truck appeared in the neighbourhood of Philakahle Khumalo, a 30-year-old mother of two.

She however says It was not enough, “People are desperate”.

The army has deployed plumbers and electricians, air support is being stepped up to bring in goods, and water purification systems and tents for evacuees will be set up.

Troops supported by helicopters were already present in recent days alongside police and rescue workers in emergency operations.

Rescue workers remain on alert, but a week after the disaster began, hopes of finding survivors are slim.

Bodies washed away by the floods have been found upstream of dams. Families are still searching: “We can’t find the body,” Clyde Naicker said by phone, he has not seen his brother since Monday.

Close to 50 people are still missing.

Funerals are being organised but burials are a logistical challenge. “We are digging the graves and at the time of burial the hole has filled up with water,” said Nasan Chetty of the KZN Funeral Directors Association.

The army has deployed plumbers and electricians, air support is being stepped up to bring in goods, and water purification systems and tents for evacuees will be set up.

WATCH NOW

DOWNLOAD NOW

World

Cannes Film Festival. The film festival is open

Published

on

Cannes Film Festival The film festival is open

The Cannes Film Festival opened on May 17 with the participation of stars such as Eva Longoria and Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky.

The 75th Cannes International Film Festival has opened. At first, not only many stars were falling on the red carpet, but also 44-year-old Vladimir Selensky addressed the audience, reports the “New York Times”. The President of Ukraine was contacted via satellite on May 17 before the screening of “Coupe!” The comedy of a French zombie, directed by 55-year-old Michel Hazanavichius.

Selensky, among other things, quoted the “Great Dictator”, the satire of Charlie Chaplin (1889-1977) on fascism. After his speech, which lasted several minutes, the audience responded with standing ovations. Hollywood actress Juliana Moore (61) then officially opened the festival.

As expected, international stars such as Moore, Forrest Whitaker (60) and Eva Longoria (47) previously walked the red carpet. Also present were German celebrities such as Emilia Schulen (29) and Karo Daur (27). The nine-member jury headed by French star Vincent Lyndon (62) could not be absent either, who decides the winner of the “Golden Palm Branch”. Among the members are Swedish actress Numi Rapas (42) and her British partner Rebecca Hall (40).

Forest Whitaker Palm of Honor

During the opening ceremony, Whitaker was awarded the Order of the Palme d’Or. “It was a great honor for him to celebrate the ‘power of artists’ with everyone present today,” the actor said, according to a report in the industry magazine Variety. They are “the torchbearers of the world who speak of humanity.”

This year 21 films are fighting for the “Golden Palm Branch”. Included are David Cronenberg (79), Crimes of the Future, Kristen Stewart (32), Viggo Mortensen (63), Lea Seidus (36), as well as Armageddon Anne Hathaway (39) and Anthony Hopkins (84). .

Outside the competition, Tom Cruise (59) will present his “Top Gun. Maverick “sequel, and Baz Luhrmann (59)’s biographical film” Elvis “will also have its world premiere on the French Riviera. Then the graduation ceremony will take place on the evening of May 28.

SpotOnNews:

WATCH NOW

DOWNLOAD NOW

Continue Reading

World

The STF is adjudicating an action that seeks to overturn the Prohibition Act

Published

on

The STF is adjudicating an action that seeks to overturn

Photo by Rafaella Lansol / GOVMT

The STF has scheduled a hearing tomorrow (18) to question the constitutionality of the so-called Prohibition Act.

Thirteen years ago, Brazilian Association of Restaurants and Entertainment Companies (Abrasel) sued the Supreme Court, arguing that the legislation “Does not harm the realization of the rights of freedom?”.

“In our opinion, the blitz of the ban is something unconstitutional. Hundreds or thousands of people are forced to stop being deprived of the right to come and go because someone allegedly drank. In other countries, the police only approach those who show signs of doing something wrong. ”

“We often see people drinking a glass or two of wine or beer while driving. These people are criminals, even if they are in the parameters of several countries of the world. We can not pretend that this law is good. “he added.

WATCH NOW

DOWNLOAD NOW

Continue Reading