According to a resident, the deceased remains were found in a shallow grave near the scene of the attack, with his head, heart, hands, feet and genitals missing.
Anaku and Omor communities have been at war over ownership claims of the disputed border farmland.
Amidst efforts to resolve the lingering land tussle, abduction and killing have continued, with the incident which culminated in wanton destruction of property in both communities in May.
Tagbo, who hailed from Umuokpanta, Orenja village in Omor, was said to have gone to his farm close to the disputed farmland near Anaku-Omor boundary to harvest cassava on January 10, 2022, but never came back alive.
When the family discovered that he had not returned at midnight, they raised alarm, forcing the villagers to launch a search for him.
NaijaOnPoint also gathered that the eventual discovery of Tagbo’s headless body in a shallow grave sent shockwaves across Omor community.
According to a close family member, High Chief Johnson Ifejika, “We found Tagbo buried in a shallow grave in a farm where he was harvesting cassava.”
He said the dead body was exhumed in the presence of police and military operatives that joined in the search for the deceased.
According to him, the decapitated body of the victim has been deposited in the mortuary while the Divisional Police Officer in charge of the area has vowed to produce the suspects behind the murder.
Meanwhile, the traditional ruler of Omor kingdom, HRH Igwe Dr. Chris Oranu Chidume, has condemned the constant abduction and killing of Omor indigenes.
“This continuous killing of Ndi-Omor is certainly not a welcome development. I condemn it in totality and so should every well-meaning citizen of Ayamelum because it’s an ill-wind that blows no one good.
“I am asking Ndi-Omor to exercise restraint and hand over everything to God, including investigation. Nobody should take laws into his hand. It does not pay to do so. Let us have absolute trust in the state government to do justice in this matter. To the family that lost their breadwinner, I condole with them and ask them to take heart that God will be with them, while we continue to hope that government will do the needful.”
Illegal Gold Mine Collapses In Cross River, Six Buried Alive
Reports from the area, which is about 80 kilometres from Calabar, indicates that the mine which is several feet deep, collapsed on Wednesday killing six of the miners while others escaped.
Mrs Ada Charles Egwu, Chairman of Biase Local Government Area, who visited the area, said the activities of illegal miners in the area was worrisome and called on security agents to beef up surveillance on the sites to forestall further mishaps.
“The purpose of this visit is to assess the activities of the illegal miners and also see for myself the collapsed site that took the lives of six young men so early in the year,” she said.
The Council Chairman said she was saddened by the death of the youths whoses lives had been cut short, while struggling to make ends meet and also described the tragic death as unfortunate.
“My heart goes out to their families on behalf of my family and the good people of Biase Local Government Area over this pathetic development,” she added.
She promised to set up a panel to investigate the incident for appropriate action to be taken, to forestall further incidents
She called on security agencies to seal off the place and arrest anyone who disobeys the order to stay away from the mine.
Daughter Accuses Father Of Sexual Assault At NAPTIP
The duo, had in December last year, ran to NAPTIP seeking protection from the father who is medical personnel at the State House clinic and a lecturer at the same Baze University, Abuja.
She accused her father of sexual assault, physical abuse and inflicting serious injuries on her 15-year-old younger brother since June 2020 when they began living with him. Before then, they lived in their maternal home after their mother and sole custodian died of cancer on May 21, 2018.
However, after a legal fight, the father was granted custody of Obalum and the younger brother by a Lagos family court.
The accused arrived at the headquarters of the agency with the court’s verdict along with his entourage, consisting of his legal representatives, some able-bodied men and a female who tried to take away the children who were handed over to them by the Rapid Response Unit of NAPTIP but failed to achieve his aim as the duo resisted the move.
NAPTIP said it couldn’t go against the court order, but the children resisted, crying and shouting that they would not return to the home of their abuser, but would rather commit suicide. This drew more attention from passersby and onlookers as the Investigating Officer on the case in the Rapid Response Unit of NAPTIP; Mrs. Usafina Chimera attempted to drag the children to their father to be taken away.
When asked by journalists why the agency is returning the children to the alleged abuser after coming to the agency for shelter, Chimera said: “What we do in the Rapid Response Unit is that when a complaint is lodged against someone, we go rapidly to rescue this person. When we received this complaint, we went to Baze University to where she stayed Mmaclocker with her brother to rescue her after her exams. Based on her statement, we commenced an investigation, and have taken the case to the legal department and it advise that there is no prima-facie evidence in prosecuting the case.
The girl, who has turned 18, is old enough to go further with the case. As an agency, we follow orders and the directives is that we should hand over the two of them to the father.”
On why she sought help from NAPTIP and their refusal to return to her father, Ifeoma explained that they had never really lived with their father until the passing of their mother shortly before she turned 18. She said their father came with policemen to their school to forcefully take them away from their maternal family’s custody, but failed and later sought custody through the court and it was granted to him.
She said: “I came to NAPTIP because I had to report to them a case of my father sexually assaulting me and physically abusing my brother, how he maltreats us, neglects us, and keeps us locked up in the house for three weeks with no form of communication to the world. No phone, internet, television, nothing.”
MEANWHILE, lawyers to the defendants, who work with PUNUKA attorneys and solicitors led by Ebele Enida has written a petition letter to President Muhammadu Buhari to intervene on the matter.
A document made available to The Guardian reads “Petition against Dr. Dike Obalum for physical and Sexual Assault on his biological daughter, Miss Ifoema Obalum and Chukwuemeka Obalum.
The lawyers are urging President Muhammadu Buhari to use his office to investigate the matter and protect the children.
Source:- Guardian Ng