Tottenham are under pressure to complete a dream move for a Real Madrid star after Inter Milan reportedly registered their interest.
Antonio Conte is eager for investment in the side so they can return to the top four and challenge the likes of Manchester City, Chelsea and Liverpool. To the disappointment of the club’s fans, however, they are yet to add to their ranks in January.
When asked about the issue last week, the Italian said: “I’m sure that we want the best for Tottenham. The first person who wants to improve the situation is for sure our owner.
“I will have time to speak, also with the people who work within the club to try to understand well the situation, to understand if there is the opportunity to improve this squad in this transfer market.”
Tottenham are keeping tabs on several players, including Dutch defender Stefan de Vrij. The centre-back has a great relationship with Conte thanks to their time at Inter and could be tempted into a reunion this year.
Spurs are also leading the race to sign Wolves winger Adama Traore. TEAMtalk understands four players have been offered to the Molineux club as part of a potential deal – Joe Rodon, Japhet Tanganga, Ryan Sessegnon and Jack Clarke.
Rumours have also begun swirling about Luka Modric’s return to north London. Real Madrid have a policy of only offering one-year contracts to older players, although this could see Modric move on.
Tottenham eyeing midfielder’s return
The classy midfielder’s terms expire in the summer, and according to transfer journalist Ekrem Konur, Spurs could re-sign him.
However, they are not alone in pursuing Modric’s services. Goal, who cite reports in Spain, state Conte’s former side Inter are also keeping tabs on the situation.
They have long-standing interest in the Ballon d’Or winner and could pounce if he becomes a free agent on July 1. Interest also arises from Spurs’ Premier League rivals City.
Modric could join Pep Guardiola’s side for a season or two before spending the final years of his career at New York City FC.
Conte reacts to quit claims
Meanwhile, Conte has faced questions on whether he would leave Spurs if no new players came in this month.
“You know very well that I signed a contract and we agreed, Tottenham and I, the length of the contract,” he replied.
“I think was good for me to see the situation and for the club to understand the coach they’re going to work with. Now, I repeat, I’m enjoying my time in Tottenham.
“I found a fantastic atmosphere, a great stadium, a great training ground, our fans are incredible because they always back us from the start to the end, and I’m enjoying my time in Tottenham.”
READ MORE: Tottenham, Arsenal told €45m-rated midfield target can sign on loan with obligation to buy
Liverpool exodus on the cards as four talents tipped to leave Anfield before deadline day
A Liverpool exodus is on the cards as four players have been tipped to leave Anfield before next week’s Deadline Day.
The Reds are set for a knock on effect from their signing of Porto and Colombia winger Luis Diaz. His imminent £54m arrival, coupled with the upcoming returns of Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah, will leave Jurgen Klopp with a few too many attacking options.
That means their stance on duo Divock Origi and Takumi Minamino has now changed.
Klopp was said to be reluctant to let Origi go this month. And it was reported that two offers for Minamino had been knocked back too.
However, as per The Athletic, both are now up for sale for the rest of January.
Liverpool will be looking to recoup some of the funds they are set to splash on Diaz. They could also do this with the sale of defender Nat Phillips, valued at £15m.
He’s been the target of attention from both Newcastle and Watford. Both have had offers turned down but could return.
And the man behind the report, journalist James Pearce, has revealed another exit could occur too.
Speaking on The Red Agenda Podcast, he said: “Neco Williams, I wouldn’t be massively surprised if there was some interest him before next week’s January deadline.”
Liverpool defender surplus to requirements
Pearce continued: “Liverpool were open to selling him in the summer, there was talk of a £10m asking price, and there’s an understanding at Liverpool about Neco’s position – there’s a World Cup at the end of the year and he needs to be playing regular football.
“He’s good enough to be doing that, but at Liverpool he has the misfortune of being behind Trent Alexander-Arnold.
“Also, Liverpool look at it and see Conor Bradley and the way he’s performed.
Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…
“He’s younger than Neco as well, and he’s more happy to bide his time and learn his trade, so I think that’s why Liverpool are open to offers.
“I was told potentially a loan for the rest of this season with an option or an obligation for the summer for Neco Williams, so yeah, I think we probably will see him move on, if not this month then in the summer.”
Klopp plans face threat
Meanwhile, Real Madrid are reportedly plotting a midfield revamp involving a stellar star targeted by Liverpool.
The Reds have been tipped to make a major addition to their midfield ranks next summer. James Milner, Jordan Henderson and Thiago Alcantara are all the wrong side of 30.
Ajax’s Ryan Gravenberch is one name who has been linked. The 19-year-old Ajax superstar-in-waiting is already a regular in the Netherlands national team.
A Spanish report detailed Liverpool and Real Madrid’s interest in December, and claimed the Reds were willing to stump up £42m in the summer.
Now, ESPN have shed new light on the situation, namechecking Gravenberch as a Real target once again.
READ MORE: New suitors ready to present Liverpool with Origi offer as Newcastle consequence
Newcastle desperately offer Arsenal unlikely helping hand as talks commence for striker
Newcastle United have reportedly offered Arsenal an unlikely helping hand as they look to round off their January transfer business.
The Magpies have endured a frustrating window thus far, but they do now have two more signings in the pipeline. Lyon midfielder Bruno Guimaraes is undergoing a medical today, while Brighton’s Dan Burn looks set to move too.
And according to The Telegraph, one final addition is wanted by the financial superpower after that pair.
That’s because Eddie Howe desires further firepower to help get his side out of the Premier League relegation battle.
With options on that front limited, they’ve swopped for someone they know they can get – Eddie Nketiah.
The 22-year-old is into the final six months of his contract with the Gunners. He’d therefore attracted interest from Crystal Palace and Aston Villa.
After neither had made a move for the soon-to-be free agent, his club had become resigned to losing him for nothing at the end of the season.
Farhad Moshiri, Mike Ashley, Ken Bates and more of the most unpopular owners in football history
However, Newcastle look set to relieve them of that fate and give them some cash for Nketiah now.
It’s claimed the transfer has been quietly worked on for ‘some time’. And now it looks close to being completed.
Nketiah is expected to travel north at the weekend, with no fixtures in the way, to finalise the move.
That will be a welcome boost because although Guimaraes is set to join too, the Toon have had to admit defeat in the chase for Jesse Lingard.
They were said to be hopeful that Manchester United would lower their £16.5 loan asking price for the attacker. But as that hasn’t happened, they walked away from talks.
Newcastle may have second option
Meanwhile, another report has claimed West Ham will step up their pursuit of Duje Caleta-Car before Monday’s transfer deadline and could therefore allow Issa Diop to join Newcastle.
Both the Hammers and the Magpies have been searching for defensive recruits throughout the January window. Newcastle have already added full-back Kieran Trippier, but they are desperately seeking a centre-back.
West Ham have looked stable at the back for large parts this season. However, a long-term injury to Angelo Ogbonna coupled with recent defeats to Leeds United and Manchester United has raised concern.
As such, both sides are chasing a new central defender before the cut-off on Monday evening. And that could cause a transfer train…
READ MORE: West Ham to gift Newcastle best transfer chance yet as Moyes goes after thrilling £15m raid