No less than two persons were reportedly killed when an uncompleted building collapsed in Hotoro, Tauroumi Local Government Area of Kano State, according to The PUNCH.
The deceased, identified as Ali, 28; and Abdulganiyu, 23; were said to be asleep in the one-storey building, popularly known as Hotoro Unguwar Gabas, behind Chula filling station, when it collapsed on Friday night.
A source in the area told our correspondent that the victims and three other persons who sustained life-threatening injuries were students of a Quranic school (Makarantar Allo) who made the uncompleted building their temporary abode.
“That night, two out of the five students died while the remaining three are critically ill,” the source added.
Some residents, while mourning the victims, decried the low-quality materials deployed by the property owner for the building construction.
The Police Public Relations Officer, SP Abdullahi Kiyawa, who confirmed the incident, said the five students were sleeping in the building when it collapsed.
He said Ali and Abdulganiyu died on the spot and had been buried according to Islamic rites.
The PPRO added that the injured persons were taken to the Murtala Muhammed Specialist Hospital where they would be treated and discharged
#JusticeForDeborah: Nigerian Lawyers, NBA Postpone 2022 SPIDEL Conference In Sokoto Over Killing Of Deborah For Alleged Blasphemy
The Nigerian Bar Association has urged the Sokoto State Government to redraft the charge sheet against the defendants standing trial due to the recent killing of Deborah Samuel in Sokoto.
The union said it has postponed its Annual NBA-SPIDEL (NBA Section on Public Interest and Development Law) conference scheduled to hold in Sokoto as a sign of respect to the late Deborah.
Deborah, a student of Shehu Shagari College of Education in Sokoto was killed and her body was burnt last Thursday by fellow students after she was accused of blasphemy.
The statement released by the NBA president, Olumide Akpata, on Tuesday described the incident as barbaric and unacceptable.
The statement reads: “The last week, like many before it, has been replete with unfortunate developments that have trivialised the sanctity of human lives, exposed the weakness in our security architecture, tested our collective resolve as a people, and significantly threatened the unity of Nigeria as a nation.
“In the South-East, there were reports of the gruesome killing of security personnel by the now notorious “unknown gunmen” and other non-State actors; in Lagos, a young man (simply identified as David) was reportedly lynched by commercial motorcyclists around Lekki; and in Sokoto, there is the unfortunate and heart-wrenching murder of Miss Deborah Yakubu, a 200-level student of Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto by some of her school mates for alleged blasphemy.
“The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) is saddened by these developments and unequivocally condemns extra-judicial killings in any part of the country as reprehensible, barbaric and unacceptable. Our security agencies must do more to stem these ugly developments, and ensure that the perpetrators of these heinous acts, wherever or whoever they may be, are made to face the full wrath of the law.
“The government should immediately commence the prosecution of all suspects involved in these brutal and arbitrary killings in order to send a strong signal that such acts will no longer be tolerated in Nigeria. The NBA also believes that the prompt and effective prosecution of the alleged killers will instil confidence in the citizens, promote accountability, and signpost the government’s commitment to the rule of law.”
Mr Akpata equally disclosed that the union has postponed its Annual SPIDEL conference scheduled to hold in Sokoto as a sign of respect to the deceased.
“The NBA is deeply worried not just by the chilling news of the murder of Miss Deborah Yakubu, but also by the sudden and sad turn of events and the deteriorating security situation in Sokoto State.
“As such, having critically reviewed the current security condition in Sokoto, it has become apparent that we cannot guarantee the safety of our guest speakers, delegates and other stakeholders that have committed to attend the NBA-SPIDEL’s conference which was designed to put the State in the global spotlight for the duration of the conference and beyond.
“Accordingly, the Executive Committee of NBA-SPIDEL came to the painful decision to request, and I have approved, that the 2022 NBA-SPIDEL Annual Conference be postponed not only for the safety of our conferees and guests, but as a mark of respect for the memory of the slain Miss Deborah Yakubu,” the statement added.
Unknown Gunmen Write 10 Local Council Areas In Anambra To Prepare For Attacks, Dare Governor Soludo
Gunmen terrorising Anambra State have sent letters to nine local government areas, indicating their plans to attack them.
The listed local government areas are Ihiala, Aguata, Nnewi South, Awka North, Awka South, Idemili North, Idemili South, Orumba South, Orumba North and Anambra East.
The unknown armed men in a message sent to the targeted local government areas challenged security operatives in the state to get ready for action in ‘Biafra Land.’
The letter quoted by The Punch reads, “These local government areas should wait for us soon. We are warning our dear Professor (Professor Charles Soludo, Anambra State governor) that it is time for action and not time to speak big grammar and talking. All the security men occupying should get ready for action.
“Go and tell the President to release our oga (boss), Onyendu, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, or face continuous war – FINAL WARNING.”
Gunmen have attacked and burnt down secretariats of three local government areas including Nnewi South Council headquarters, Ukpor, Aguata Council headquarters, Aguata and Idemili North Council headquarters, Ogidi between March 17 when Governor Soludo assumed office and now.
The latest attack on Idemili North Local Government Area was carried out on May 15.
But the state police command has vowed to get rid of criminals in the state.
On Monday, police operatives killed two hoodlums operating and enforcing a sit-at-home directive at Umunze in the Orumba South local government area of the state.
Also, on Tuesday, police operatives killed some suspected sit-at-home enforcers who were operating around the Ogidi area when they engaged the security operatives in a gun battle.
The state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, who confirmed the incident said the command and other sister agencies had been on patrol to maintain law and order in the state after several attacks and killings carried out by the hoodlums on Monday.
Meanwhile, Ikenga assured the people of the state to go about their normal business without any form of intimidation, harassment or worry, saying there will be adequate security for them.