Stuart Pearce has hinted Jesse Lingard will struggle to achieve a big ambition at Manchester United, though would find it easier to achieve with West Ham.
The future of Jesse Lingard remains very much up in the air. The 28-year-old produced the form of his life while on loan at West Ham last season. He was expected to be given opportunities to prove his worth upon returning to Old Trafford, though minutes on the pitch have been in desperately short supply.
Only time will tell whether Lingard is given a greater role under interim boss Ralf Rangnick. The German’s desire to implement high intensity, pressing football could suit Lingard more than other United forwards.
Nonetheless, Lingard’s contract expires next summer and an exit remains a distinct possibility.
United retain hope of convincing the attacker to pen fresh terms. However, the Daily Mail reported last week that Lingard is intent on severing ties at Old Trafford – despite Rangnick’s arrival.
That was music to the ears of those chasing Lingard’s signature, most notably Newcastle and West Ham.
Now, speaking on talksPORT (via Goal), West Ham coach Stuart Pearce left the door ajar for a Lingard return to London.
World Cup ambition could steer Lingard to West Ham
Additionally, Pearce claimed a big ambition of Lingard will be to make Gareth Southgate’s World Cup squad for Qatar 2022. That will only be achieved if Lingard returns to being a regular on the pitch – something far more likely to occur at West Ham than Man Utd.
“I think Jesse, what he showed last year he’s going to be linked with various clubs,” said Pearce. “There’s no doubt about that.
“From his point of view, he’ll be looking at the World Cup in less than a year’s time and thinking ‘what do I have to do, where will I have to play my football?’
“All we know is he’s at Manchester United at the moment. He’s out of contract next summer. I’m sure he’ll have one or two suitors in the summer.
“He did himself no harm coming to us when he did and the form he showed.”
If it becomes apparent Lingard won’t commit his future to United, a cut-price January sale could be sanctioned. The fees involved will likely be far less than the £25m-£30m United sought in the summer.
Ralf Rangnick’s 18 games in charge against Klopp, Tuchel and the wildly contrasting statistics
Rangnick warned element of Man Urd are clueless
Meanwhile, Interim Manchester United boss Rangnick has been told his remit may be bigger than he expected after the football knowledge at the club was savaged.
Former United title winner, Paul Ince, has laid waste to United’s hierarchy. Via the Mirror, Ince claimed Rangnick will have to “change the whole philosophy of the club”.
Furthermore, he stated United require “change from top to bottom” and threw shade on the football knowledge of their decision-makers.
“He’ll have to change the whole philosophy of the club,” Ince said of Rangnick. “The Man United executive team, they don’t know anything about football.
“The Glazers bought the club just for profit, it was nothing to do with football. There hasn’t been anyone like Martin Edwards or David Gill; football people at the club. United needs to be restructured.
“Everything needs to change from top to bottom. There isn’t a model at United. Ralf needs to create a model that’s going to make Manchester United successful.”
READ MORE: Rooney weighs in on influence Ralf Rangnick will have on Man Utd
Ralf Rangnick Has No Concerns About Selecting Paul Pogba During The Final Months Of His Manchester United Contract
Pogba has entered the final six month of his current Old Trafford terms, with little progress made in discussions over a renewal and a departure on a free transfer in the summer considered likely.
The 28-year-old is yet to make an appearance under interim manager Rangnick after suffering a thigh injury while on international duty in November, though returned to full training on Monday.
Rangnick expects Pogba to be available for selection ahead of the FA Cup fourth round tie with Middlesbrough after the January international break, and is ready to call on United’s record signing.
The United interim manager said that Pogba wants to show the fans, board and “the whole world” what kind of player he can be, but added that he will be “highly motivated” even if he is only playing to put himself in the shop window.
When asked if there is much point playing Pogba given the likelihood of him leaving, Rangnick said: “Yes, of course.
“By the way, my contract as a manager is also expiring in the summer. For us we have the same goal. We have the same ambition to be as successful as we can possibly be in the next three or four months.
“For me, it’s not a question if a player has an expiring contract. The question is how much does he still want to be a part of this group? How much does he still feel emotionally and physically on board?
“As long as this is the case, why shouldn’t Paul Pogba [play] now after two and half months of injury, fully fit again now?
“And he also wants to show up, he wants to show the fans of Manchester United, the board, the whole world what kind of player he can be. And even if it’s only to show enough for a new contract elsewhere, he will be highly motivated to do that and why should I then not play him?
“As I said, there is a difference in how players deal with their current situation. How do they handle that? If they handle that in a professional way, an ambitious way, of course I will play players although they have a contract expiring in the summer.”
Pogba will be one of the most sought-after free agents in world football if his contract expires before reaching a new agreement with United, as appears likely.
Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus are among the possible destinations for a player who broke the world transfer record when joining United in a €105m (£89m) fee in 2016. Pogba has not signed another
Rangnick also revealed that he was impressed with what he saw from Pogba in his first training session back since his recovery.
“Paul Pogba had his first day of training with the whole group and he showed what an extraordinary player he could be,” Rangnick said. “He won’t be available for the two games this week but after the international break against Middlesbrough and Burnley he could be.”
Juventus Cruise To A 4-1 Win Over Sampdoria In The Coppa Italia On Tuesday Night
The home side were rather comfortable throughout the 90 minutes, with their opponents Samp looking completely out of their depth at the Allianz Stadium.
As you’d expect, it was all Juventus from the first whistle to the last, as the home side dominated possession while Sampdoria could barely string two passes together. Juan Cuadrado caused the visitors particular problems with his movement in and around the penalty area – forcing Wladimiro Falcone into a smart save at his near post in the 15th minute.
Cuadrado got his just rewards for a great first-half performance ten minutes later, as the Colombian drilled a free-kick from just outside the box under the Samp wall, and through the fairly hapless Falcone (it was pretty bad goalkeeping to be honest).
Seconds later, Cuadrado proved to be the catalyst for what Juve thought was their second goal of the evening. The winger squared the ball to Alvaro Morata, who duly converted from inside the penalty with a sweeping shot. However, the goal was disallowed due to a foul from Adrien Rabiot in the build-up.
Falcone went some way to making amends for his earlier mistake by denying Rugani and Morata. The Samp goalkeeper reacted quickly to save an effort on goal from just inside the six-yard box from Rugani, before denying Morata with similar heroics on the stroke of half-time.
The second half was much the same as the first, with Sampdoria being absolutely terrible and Juventus being fairly competent.
Juve deservedly bagged the second goal of the evening on the 50th minute mark, with Rugani rising highest from an Arthur cross to score his first ever Coppa Italia goal.
Despite the home side dominating proceedings, out of absolutely nowhere, Samp pulled a goal back on the hour. The goal came from former Milan man Andrea Conti, who drilled a great volley from the edge of the penalty area past Mattia Perin.
The momentary panic caused by Conti’s goal was arrested pretty much immediately by subsitute Paulo Dybala. After Manuel Locatelli stole possession on the edge of Samp’s box, the Juve number ten confidently curled the ball into the bottom right corner.
It was 4-1 in the 75th minute, when Dybala converted a penalty kick won by debutant Marley Ake.