adplus-dvertising
Connect with us

Sports

West Ham to give new one-year deal to player Moyes thinks is ‘playing as well as ever’

Published

on

andrey yarmolenko lukasz fabianski west ham 1

Veteran goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski will be handed a new one-year deal at West Ham to reward him for his fine form this season.

The former Poland international turns 37 this month but is playing as well as ever as the Hammers chase another top-six finish. Indeed, Fabianski’s form has been so impressive that he has restricted on-loan France keeper Alphonse Areola to appearances in the cup competitions.

“He has been really good,” said Hammers boss David Moyes. “I actually think he has been pushed by Alphonse, who has done really well for us in European games and cup games as well.

“I think maybe the age Lukasz is at we have tried to spare him, and I have to say I think Lukasz, touch wood, has been very, very good in the league and performed consistently well.

“He has played really well this year and we will be keeping him next year, of course we will. He might have more competition and he might be a year older, but at the moment he is doing really well.”

Moyes still a big Pickford fan

Fabianski will line up opposite England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, a player Moyes knows well, when West Ham host Everton on Sunday.

“I think Jordan is a really good keeper. I had him at Sunderland. He was great. He was brilliant for us and he was only a young boy then,” added the Scot.

“I thought he played really well for England and quite often goes under the radar, because he made several good saves against Switzerland and also at the Euros.

“What happens is we are waiting on Jordan making a mistake, but the truth is that I don’t think he has let England down in the games that mattered.

“He is a really good distributer of the ball, he is good for modern football, he can kick it a mile, he can pass it. I actually think England are really lucky.”

READ MORE: David Moyes puts frighteners on Chelsea, Man Utd by sticking third-highest fee ever on Declan Rice

WATCH NOW

DOWNLOAD NOW

Sports

“It’s a sensible decision” – Hull City fan pundit reacts as club make call on 23-year-old

Published

on

2021 10 20T202359Z 64651578 RC2WDQ9FZ0T5 RTRMADP 3 SOCCER ENGLAND HUL PTU REPORT

This article is part of Football League World’s ‘Terrace Talk’ series, which provides personal opinions from our FLW Fan Pundits regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more…

Hull City experienced a very up and down 2021/22 season but ultimately managed to maintain their Championship status very comfortably.

The Tigers were probably at their best towards the back end of Grant McCann’s reign at the club, which will make it interesting to monitor how they perform after Shota Arveladze has had a full pre-season and transfer window at MKM Stadium.

If Acun Ilicali’s ambition is matched in the transfer market and on the pitch then a season of progress is to be expected in 2022/23, with a top half finish a realistic goal if they can strengthen the squad.

Hull triggered a one-year extension in Mallik Wilks‘ contract last week, to bolster attacking depth at Arveladze’s disposal.

FLW’s Hull City fan pundit Ant Northgraves mainly agreed with the decision to extend Wilks’ deal due to the 23-year-old’s potential.

Speaking to Football League World, Northgraves said: “The Mallik Wilks one is a bit strange because he was phenomenal last season, scored 22 goals, he’s one of these maverick style players who’s very frustrating because he’s got an abundance of ability and his potential is limitless.

“He’s one of these players who you can tell would eventually become a Premier League standard player, but he doesn’t really seem to apply himself correctly, I think his attitude maybe lacks in some instances.

“A lot of fans probs would’ve been okay to see the back of Wilks this summer, but I think they also wouldn’t have minded if he stays again, because we know how good he can be.

Quiz: Can you name which club Hull City sold these 23 players to from the last decade?

“It’s just maybe going to take the right manager to bring that out, we’re more surprised that he’s staying on because when he came back from injury, Shota Arveladze didn’t really look like he wanted to play him in any way, shape or form.

“Even in the games after safety (was confirmed), he wasn’t really involved.

“It looked like he was a player that he didn’t fancy, but he must have obviously seen the potential that he’s got and hopes that he can bring it out of him next season and with a higher standard of squad, that creates a bit more chances and we can make up for his lack of tracking back and defensive work.

“In terms of it being the right decision, I’d say it’s a sensible decision because if he finds form next season he can become another valuable asset that could be worth money in the future, you wouldn’t really want to see him walk away for free, when you know how good he can be.

“It’s a sensible decision, definitely.”

WATCH NOW

DOWNLOAD NOW

Continue Reading

Sports

‘Announcement may be much closer’ – Chelsea player set to ask Blues to let him go this summer

Published

on

Screen Shot 2017 03 21 at 10.02.38

Chelsea’s Marcos Alonso publicly expressed his desire to “play in La Liga” during the last international break.

Over the past few weeks, Barcelona have been named as the main contender to sign the 31-year-old this summer.

The left-back has a year left on his contract at Chelsea. The Catalan club want him so that he can provide cover and competition to Jordi Alba next season.

Sport have a report titled: ‘Marcos Alonso will ask to leave’. Within the report, it’s said the Spain international has ‘decided to leave’ Thomas Tuchel’s side and return to his home country.

The defender will ‘soon ask’ the Chelsea leaders to ‘facilitate his departure and negotiate’ with the La Liga side. The west London club will not let him leave for free and a fee needs to be negotiated.

Alonso’s club teammate, César Azpilicueta, is also wanted by the Blaugrana this summer. A ‘confidential’ report from Sport explains Xavi Hernández’s side have an agreement in place with the duo.

Barcelona are convinced to sign the two Chelsea fullbacks, but it looks like ‘Alonso’s announcement may be much closer than Azpilicueta’s’.Capture 56

They again stress that Alonso has asked the Blues to let him leave in the summer window.

It’s claimed Chelsea have ‘given him the word’ that they will cooperate for him to change clubs.

Sport add Alonso’s exit can be done for a ‘symbolic figure’ this summer, but the details of what that figure should be are not mentioned in the report.

WATCH NOW

DOWNLOAD NOW

Continue Reading