Connect with us

Nigeria Newspapers

Yoruba groups kick against FG’s failure to declare bandits terrorists

Published

on

411d1ceb 986752 aare ona kakanfo gani adams

By Lukman Olabiyi

Advertisement

Coalition of Yoruba groups in the Diaspora under the auspices of Yoruba One Voice (YOV) has held that the Federal Government’s failure to officially designate bandits as terrorists, was deliberate and an attempt to realise Fulani’s agenda of recolonisation of Nigeria.

YOV in a communiqué issued on Saturday, at the end of its international webinar conference, with the theme, “Foreign Banditry Effect on Farming and Farmers in Yorubaland,” knocked Federal Government for its alleged deliberate inaction of making the court’s order effective.

The group stated that the Fulani-led government, through its body language, could not exonerate itself from the invasion of Yoruba farmlands by bandits/terrorists because the criminals were so audacious in their activities and not one of them had been arraigned before a law court.

Advertisement

According to the communiqué, the conference was attended by over 1,000 members of the group, who bemoaned the shortage of food supply in South West region as a result of insecurity in Yorubaland.

Among the people who signed the   communiqué included YOV’s grand patron, Aare Gani Adams; the Secretary-General, Dr. Sina Okanlomo, and Olori Ladun Orolugbagbe, Publicity Secretary.

They lamented that farmers in Yorubaland were leaving their farms in droves due to no fault of theirs, but because of coordinated, drastic, maximum and ruinous attacks by bandits/terrorists.

Advertisement

Nigeria Newspapers

NUT strike: Niger pupils still home two weeks after resumption

Published

on

6d099ce6 1704869 niger state map

Almost two weeks after resumption in other states, pupils in Niger State are yet to resume with no hope at when the impasses between the Niger State Government and Nigerian Union of Teachers would be over.

While parents expressed worries over their wards’ inability to resume school as a result of the sit-at-home directive issued by the NUT to its members over the government’s refusal to stop the percentage payment of salaries, the state government and the union seem not to be making headway in resolving the conflict.

Our correspondent spoke to some parents who were of the impression that the state government was not being sincere with the way they are handling the situation, claiming that the state government didn’t take the issue seriously as it spent money on other things that didn’t match up with education.

Advertisement

A parent, Musa Sale, whose child is in primary school said he didn’t understand why the issue cannot be resolved once and for all.

“This problem has been on for a long time and I wonder why the government doesn’t want to pay them their full salaries. How can someone be working and he is being paid part of his salary when it is not as if he is under punishment for defaulting?”

Another parent, identified as Christopher, accused the government of insincerity in the impasse saying, “I know that if the government wants this issue resolved, it will be resolved swiftly because they have their way around things but you can see that they don’t want it resolved. If not, in a matter of hours, the issue would be over”.

Advertisement

Most of the women were worried about their children seeing other children in private schools go to school while they stay at home doing nothing.

“I am just worried that while my neighbours children are going to school, mine will be seating at home and missing out on schoolwork,” a parent, identified simply as Agnes said.

When contacted on the fate of the pupils, the chairman of the NUT, Akayago Mohammed, referred our correspondent to the outcome of a communique from the State Wing Executive Council meeting which held in Minna on Monday which insisted that there would be no resumption until the government made commitments to reverse the percentage payment.

At the time of filing this report, the state Commissioner for education, Hannatu Salisu, did not pick up her calls nor did she respond to a message sent to her by our correspondent.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Nigeria Newspapers

Two arrested as Ogun student, parents hire thugs to assault teachers

Published

on

a3135ff5 1704864 ogun state map 1

A secondary school student, Joshua Joseph, and his mother reportedly hired some thugs, invaded the Toyon High School, Ere, Ado-Odo, in the Ado-Odo/Ota local government area of Ogun State and brutalised three teachers.

The assault on teachers happened a few weeks after the mandatory undertaking forms were recently signed by parents, as part of the efforts to curb the act assault in the state.

Our correspondent gathered that in the last quarter of 2021, more than four teachers were beaten by their students, majorly in connivance with hoodlums.

Advertisement

And on Tuesday, the act reared its ugly head when the student and his mother invaded the school with hired thugs and inflicted injuries on three teachers.

It was gathered that Joseph had earlier been prevented from entering the class because of his hairstyle.

A teacher identified as Mr. Kabir Azeez had told the student to go and cut his hair before entering the classroom.

Advertisement

But, Joseph was said to have returned to the school with his mum and the thugs, who attacked the teachers.

An eyewitness said, “Three teachers were beaten – Messrs Abel Thomas, Kabir Azeez and Adegun Adekunle. The car that was destroyed belongs to Mr. Jolayemi Jeromu. One of the thugs, Posu Baale, was the one who smashed the car’s windscreen.”

The Vice-Principal, Mariam Onilogbo, confirmed the development.

She said, “On Monday, we asked our student to go and cut his hair because the hair he brought to school was not acceptable in the school. Yesterday (Tuesday), he came again with that same hair and we told him to go and cut the hair.

Advertisement

“I collected his bag and told him to come back after cutting the hair. Coming back to school, he came with two men and two women to accuse us that why should we ask him to go and cut his hair.

“I told them that if we cannot tell him to cut his hair, all of them should leave my office. I gave them his bag and told them to go and be teaching him at home.

“They went out and I started to hear noises within the school premises. They started beating the teachers. They smashed the windscreen of a car parked within the school.

“Yesterday evening, they came to our quarters again, claiming that we stole their phone. They almost attacked us. We told them their phone is not with us. They came to meet us again this morning, but we thank God no one was attacked again.”

Advertisement

The Vice Principal added that the mother and one of the thugs have been arrested by the police.

It was gathered that the teachers invited the police after locking up the suspects in the computer room.

Confirming the incident, the Police Command in the state said the parents of the students have been arrested.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Abimbola Oyeyemi, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday.

Advertisement

According to him, the couple, Oyedele Nutai Joseph, and his wife, Elizabeth Joseph ,were on the 18th of January 2022, arrested by men of Ogun state police command for unlawfully invading the school.

Continue Reading