Business News

Fire Incident occured at Honeywell Depot, not NNPC farm tank — Lagos Fire Service Clarifies

The Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service (LRFS) has explained that the a fire incident that took place in a depot on Friday, May 17 2024, was not owned by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) terminal in Apapa, but by Honeywell.

The Deputy Director Public Affairs of LFRS said this in a statement on Friday in Lagos.

Margaret Adeseye, director of the service, had previously reported that the fire outbreak started at the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) terminal in Apapa.

Adeseye said the fire was triggered by a spillage of petroleum products within the tank farm’s perimeter.

Meanwhile,deputy director of the service, LFRS, clarified in another statement that the fire outbreak was at Honeywell depot.

“It has come to our attention that there was an error in our previous report concerning the ownership of the oil terminal affected by the recent fire.

“Upon further investigation, we have confirmed that the oil terminal in question is owned by Honeywell, not NNPC as initially reported.

“We regret any confusion this may have caused and apologize for the oversight,” the deputy director noted.

In addition, the Chief Corporate Communications Officer, NNPC Ltd, Olufemi Soneye, in a statement clarified that the fire incident at a tank farm in Marine Beach, Apapa, Lagos, was at a Depot belonging to HOGL Energy Ltd. (Honeywell Depot) and not an NNPC Retail Ltd. facility.

He, however, added that the fire had since been extinguished, and that it was as a result of petroleum products spillage within the perimeter of the tank farm.

On Wednesday, Naijaonpoint reported that Shell was probing reports of explosion observed early Tuesday near its Gbaran Ubie oil and gas installation in Nigeria’s Bayelsa state.

The fire Incident, reported in the early morning of Tuesday, involved sounds of explosions and sightings of smoke at a site where pipeline repairs were actively being conducted.

Despite the alarming reports, the Shell spokesperson assured that the incident would not necessitate an immediate operational shutdown of the facility.

Meanwhile, the company said it is taking steps to investigate the specifics of the incident and assess any potential impacts on its operations.

The company, however, confirmed that the fire that erupted after explosions at the gas processing plant has been put out.