adplus-dvertising
Metro

Jacob Zuma attacks Judges over his election ban

Jacob Zuma

Former South African President Jacob Zuma has launched a scathing attack on some of the country’s top judges after he was barred from running for parliament on Monday.

In his first interview since the ban, Mr Zuma told the BBC that the Constitutional Court was wrong to decide he was unfit to run, based on his 2021 conviction for contempt of court.

“I expected that from our judges, but they are definitely wrong. Not correct,” the 82-year-old said, adding that the constitution should be changed.

Ahead of next week’s general election, Mr Zuma had been campaigning under the banner of the newly formed uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) party.

He joined the party after falling out with the governing African National Congress (ANC), which he used to lead.

The electoral commission argued that the constitution bars anyone who was sentenced to more than 12 months in prison from serving as a lawmaker – a view backed by the Constitutional Court judges.

Mr Zuma was convicted in 2021 for refusing to testify at an inquiry investigating corruption during his presidency.

Source:BBC

... Jacob Zuma attacks Judges over his election ban Read More on ... Face of Malawi.

WATCH NOW

DOWNLOAD NOW