adplus-dvertising
Today News

Scores Feared Dead In Fresh Boat Accident In Sokoto

Boat Accident Lagos

Sokoto State was on Thursday evening thrown into mourning after another boat accident in Shagari Local Government Area, where several passengers were feared dead.

The incident marks the third boat mishap in Sokoto within one month, raising fresh concerns over safety on the state’s waterways.

Confirming the development in a statement on Friday, the Special Adviser to Governor Ahmed Aliyu on the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Aminu Liman Bodinga, said rescue teams had already swung into action.

According to him, officials from SEMA, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), and the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) have commenced coordinated search and rescue operations at the accident scene.

According to The PUNCH, eyewitnesses told reporters that the ill-fated boat, which was reportedly carrying dozens of passengers, capsized mid-river, throwing all on board into the water.

While the exact number of casualties remains unclear, local sources fear that many lives may have been lost. Families are still awaiting official confirmation.

Residents and waterway experts blamed the recurring tragedies on poor safety standards, the absence of motorised boats, and the lack of life jackets for passengers.

They urged the government to immediately enforce strict safety regulations and provide modern boats and equipment to avert future disasters.

Naijaonpoint understands that as of Friday morning, the atmosphere in Shagari and neighbouring communities remained tense, with families and relatives anxiously waiting for updates on the fate of their loved ones.

The Sokoto State Government is expected to issue a more detailed statement once rescue and recovery efforts are concluded.


© 2025 Naijaonpoint, a division of NOP Media Inc. Contact us via [email protected]