adplus-dvertising
Latest Today

Why Tinubu sacked Kyari, others at NNPCL – Presidency

Mele Kyari 2 1

WATCH THE VIDEO HERE

President Bola Tinubu’s decision to sack Mele Kyari and other board members of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited stems from mounting concern over performance and a failure to meet key production targets, Presidency officials have disclosed.

In an abrupt move on Wednesday, Tinubu removed Kyari, who had been at the helm of the national oil company since 2019, as part of a broader overhaul, which the Presidency said was aimed at boosting Nigeria’s crude and gas output.

“President Tinubu removed all other board members appointed with Pius Akinyelure and Kyari in November 2023,” Tinubu’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, said in a statement in the early hours of Wednesday.

Consequently, he appointed Bashir Ojulari as the new Group CEO, effective from April 2, 2025. Multiple Presidency officials familiar with the developments said the shake-up was a performance-based reshuffle, arguing that those previously in charge “were going in circles” and some of them had “become part of the problem, rather than the solution.”

One official, who spoke to Punch because he was not authorised to speak on the matter officially, told our correspondent, “The President did this because of their performance because we needed to do things differently. The former people were taking us in circles, and then some of them became part of the problem.”

Another official familiar with the development said the President believed that new blood was essential to jump-start production growth. The official explained, “It is not about (Kyari’s) age. The NNPCL is a limited liability company and is not governed by civil service rules. So, it’s not about his age. There is always a need to get new brains that can deliver in new directions.”

The President has given the new board an immediate action plan, which includes conducting a strategic portfolio review of NNPCL-operated and Joint Venture Assets to ensure alignment with value maximisation objectives. The administration aims to increase investment in the sector to $30 billion by 2027 and $60 billion by 2030.

Tinubu also expects the new board to elevate NNPC’s share of crude oil refining output to 200,000 barrels by 2027 and reach 500,000 by 2030.

The new 11-man board includes Adedapo Segun, who replaced Umaru Isa Ajiya as the chief financial officer last November. Six board members and non-executive directors represent the country’s geopolitical zones. They are: Bello Rabiu (North West); Yusuf Usman (North East); Babs Omotowa (North Central); Austin Avuru (South-South); David Ige (South West), and Henry Obih (South East).

Onanuga said Mrs Lydia Jafiya, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Finance, will represent the ministry on the new board, while Aminu Said Ahmed represents the Ministry of Petroleum Resources. “All the appointments are effective today, April 2,” he announced.

WATCH FULL VIDEO

WATCH THE VIDEO HERE